Re: [Star Trek Books] TBR pile - mountain climbing

  • Kathy Agel
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009

      >My TBR stack has become a mountain, and it's become like Negative
      >Soup: where the the farther I go, the behinder I get...This keeps me
      >from ever getting caught up on the TBR. Does anyone else have this
      >problem...of keeping up?

      Absolutely. I tend to spend about $200-$250 a month on books. I read
      across genres -- in addition to Trek books, I read SF and fantasy,
      mysteries, romances, technothrillers, paranormals (a rather broad
      genre that can include mysteries and romances -- often with elements
      of both in the same novel), historicals -- and read a lot of
      nonfiction, as well (mostly about baseball, horse racing, gardening,
      WWII history, and the space program). Since I work full-time, many
      of the books pile up. My TBR pile consists of about a dozen boxes
      that once contained reams of paper, all full to bursting, as well as
      the lids to same (the lids also comprise my videotape storage system
      -- they're stackable and easily moved around).
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
        From: "Kevin Burgess" <burgesskj@...>

        > The problem I have, is that I may read something, then have to go
        > back to a previous novel to 'catch up' or latterally through the TBR
        > to tunnel through in order of the timeline.

        Yeah, I seem to be doing as much back-tracking as anything else.
        I'm always having to go back and *re* read something (Already
        Read....AR) to get back in the story-line of whatever new(ish) I'm
        planning to read "next" (TBR). I can't even keep track of what I've
        already read about & need constant refresherizing.

        (is there a plot-line cheat-sheet somewhere that briefly summarizes each
        book?)

        I've got the Destiny books. Now, what was it I should (re) read before I
        tackle them?
        Help!

        > My TBR stack has become a mountain, and it's become like Negative
        > Soup: where the the farther I go, the behinder I get...This keeps me
        > from ever getting caught up on the TBR. Does anyone else have this
        > problem...of keeping up?

        "Keeping up?"
        I never was "up" to start with!

        I started so far behind that I'll never catch up in the first place, so
        "keeping up" is totally not gonna happen.

        Looking on the bright side of this -- I won't be bored in my dotage as
        I'll still be "catching up" on an ever-expanding river of ST Lit. :-)
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
          >I've got the Destiny books. Now, what was it I should (re) read before I
          >tackle them?

          You can dive into the DESTINY trilogy cold, honestly, but here are
          the books that "lead in," as it were.

          Enterprise-E (and the Borg storyline):
          DEATH IN WINTER by Michael Jan Friedman
          RESISTANCE by J.M. Dillard
          Q & A by Keith R.A. DeCandido
          BEFORE DISHONOR by Peter David
          GREATER THAN THE SUM by Christopher L. Bennett

          Titan:
          TAKING WING by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
          THE RED KING by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin
          ORION'S HOUNDS by Christopher L. Bennett
          SWORD OF DAMOCLES by Geoffrey Thorne

          Columbia:
          KOBAYASHI MARU by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin

          Bacco Administration:
          ARTICLES OF THE FEDERATION by Keith R.A. DeCandido

          Again, =none= of these are vital, and Dave fills you in on what you
          need to know going in.

          www.DeCandido.net
          kradical.livejournal.com

          "We have two Scottish Terriers, because if you drink enough Johnny
          Walker products, they just go ahead and send you the dogs."
          ---Ron White
        • Kathy Agel
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009

            >You can dive into the DESTINY trilogy cold, honestly, but here are
            >the books that "lead in," as it were.
            >
            >Enterprise-E (and the Borg storyline):
            >DEATH IN WINTER by Michael Jan Friedman
            >RESISTANCE by J.M. Dillard
            >Q & A by Keith R.A. DeCandido
            >BEFORE DISHONOR by Peter David
            >GREATER THAN THE SUM by Christopher L. Bennett
            >
            >Titan:
            >TAKING WING by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
            >THE RED KING by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin
            >ORION'S HOUNDS by Christopher L. Bennett
            >SWORD OF DAMOCLES by Geoffrey Thorne
            >
            >Columbia:
            >KOBAYASHI MARU by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin
            >
            >Bacco Administration:
            >ARTICLES OF THE FEDERATION by Keith R.A. DeCandido
            >
            >Again, =none= of these are vital, and Dave fills you in on what you
            >need to know going in.

            Yeah, but what a ride it is if you read the entire storyline! It's
            well worth getting your hands on all of them and diving into them.
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
              From: "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...>

              From: "Kathy Agel" <badkarma.one@...>

              > Yeah, but what a ride it is if you read the entire storyline! It's
              > well worth getting your hands on all of them and diving into them.

              And by the time I get to the new-now books there will be yet another
              pile or series to catch up/brush up on. Some on the list are already on
              my AR/TBRA/TBR lists.
              bj
              <sighing>
            • Kathy Agel
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                >And by the time I get to the new-now books there will be yet another
                >pile or series to catch up/brush up on. Some on the list are already on
                >my AR/TBRA/TBR lists.
                >bj
                ><sighing>

                True, BJ, but you honestly won't be sorry if you start from the
                beginning of this storyline.
              • menes@gothboy.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009

                  I'd add the "A Time To..." series to this list. There were MANY mentions
                  and references to past events from this series of books, which is why I'm
                  reading them now. While I was reading Destiny I was bummed that the "A Time
                  To..." books might be getting ruined for me. Hopefully I'll still enjoy
                  them.

                  I agree with everything else you listed.

                  And I enjoyed reading the Destiny trilogy, but I'd read most of (not all)
                  the books you've listed here. I've still not read "Death in Winter",
                  "Kobayashi Maru" or "Articles of the Federation". But I'll catch up
                  eventually.
                • Kathy Agel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009

                    > I'd add the "A Time To..." series to this list. There were MANY mentions
                    >and references to past events from this series of books, which is why I'm
                    >reading them now. While I was reading Destiny I was bummed that the "A Time
                    >To..." books might be getting ruined for me. Hopefully I'll still enjoy
                    >them.

                    I think you will -- the references to the -- septology? -- were
                    fairly innocuous, scattered, and, to be honest, not very detailed
                    compared to what is in the books themselves . The reality is that is the
                    "A Time To" books themselves are a wonderful read.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                      From: "Kathy Agel" <badkarma.one@...>
                      >>And by the time I get to the new-now books there will be yet another
                      >>pile or series to catch up/brush up on. Some on the list are already
                      >>on my AR/TBRA/TBR lists.
                      >>bj
                      >><sighing>
                      >
                      > True, BJ, but you honestly won't be sorry if you start from the
                      > beginning of this storyline.

                      Oh I know that -- I've done several re-starts.
                      But I do have a limited life-span. :-)

                      But even though I'll never catch up, at least I'll always have something
                      (lotta somethings) fun to read.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                        >I think you will -- the references to the -- septology? -- were
                        >fairly innocuous, scattered, and, to be honest, not very detailed
                        >compared to what is in the books themselves . The reality is that is the
                        >"A Time To" books themselves are a wonderful read.

                        Nonology, technically, since it's a nine-book series. Septology would
                        be seven books. *grin*

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                          >Nonology, technically, since it's a nine-book series. Septology would
                          >be seven books. *grin*

                          I couldn't remember whether there were seven or none, and I was too
                          lazy to look it up. :)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
                            FWIW I read the Destiny books without having read most of the books that lead up to it and had no trouble whatsover following the story.  What little bits and pieces I did need to know were worked seamlessly into the narrative.

                            Jackie

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                              From: "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...>

                              >>I've got the Destiny books. Now, what was it I should (re) read before
                              >>I tackle them?
                              >
                              > You can dive into the DESTINY trilogy cold, honestly, but here are
                              > the books that "lead in," as it were.
                              > Again, =none= of these are vital, and Dave fills you in on what you
                              > need to know going in.

                              Well, I've decided to live a sort of parallel universe ST book life.
                              I'm starting the Destiny series while keeping on with my (re)read of the
                              SCE books (before getting to the newer ones I *haven't* read yet).

                              Maybe sometime I'll get (back) to the pre-Destiny pile as well.
                              I've read some of them -- I know I've read Titan 1 & 2 &
                              maybe 3 but I'll have to refresh on *those* before doing #4.
                              Oh My.

                              Good thing this endeavor is one of those "the journey *is* the point"
                              things.
                              bj
                            • Andrew Brown
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                                This thread is the reason I asked for the timeline of books. I've only read
                                a couple of the new TNG-era books, so I can start fresh from the post-DS9
                                finale at the end of 2375 and pick up the next one along. I'll start that
                                sometime soon, but there's got to be at least 30 books there. That's about
                                $350!

                                As they say though, "A journey of a thousand miles..." :)

                                Andy

                                --
                                http://www.starbase23.net

                                "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
                                bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
                                Churchill

                                The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
                                Mickey: "Wot's that?"
                                The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
                                - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)