Mere Mortals (Spoiler Alert) Kudos to Mr. Mack

  • Paul Dicks
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2008
      Don't peak if you haven't read it yet!!!

      Well, Mr. Mack, this is one heck of a novel. You have gathered
      every current series together in one grand space opera (a little
      light on the Voyager crew, though that is likely to change as the
      ship appears to be the sole survivor from the initial attack of the
      Borg armada. You did a nice job showing us what Captain Hernandez
      was up to for 800 or so years. And I strongly suspect that there
      are only two ways of getting the Federation out of the pickle you
      have written it into - the Titan landing party talks their jailers
      into interceding (why else spend so much of the first two books
      showing them and Captain Hernandez), or that first civilation
      contacted in the now collapsed wormholes (which more or less
      torpedoes this theory) who seem to be more than a match for the Borg.
      If I am wrong, so much the better, as it is certainly lessens the
      appeal of a story when I can see exactly where it is going. That
      being said, Mr. Mack, you wrote incredible battle scenes, both ship
      to ship and personal combat, and handled the quite moments just as
      well, which should satisfy those who do not read Trek books for the
      cool battle scenes.

      Just one problem - where do I put this series on my book shelf? It
      seems to follow after the last few Next Gen books, but with heavy
      participation of the other titles, an argument could be made for
      other spots as well. That's me, getting lost in the details.

      Now, for the long wait until the end of November.

      Take care, Paul
    • David Mack
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2008
        --- "Paul Dicks" <cyclistpaul1@...> wrote:

        > Just one problem - where do I put this series on my book shelf? It
        > seems to follow after the last few Next Gen books, but with heavy
        > participation of the other titles, an argument could be made for
        > other spots as well. That's me, getting lost in the details.

        Paul,

        Thanks for your complimentary comments about the book; I'm glad you
        enjoyed it. As for where to shelve it?

        In terms of the TrekLit continuity, Destiny currently represents the
        far-forward edge of the shared literary continuity, in February 2381.
        It is set after the previous TNG post-Nemesis books, and after the
        first four Titan books. It is also four years after the current DS9
        post-finale books (currently set in January 2377).

        With regard to whether it should be shelved with one series as opposed
        to another, it does kind of stand on its own. I'd recommend starting a
        new meta-series category, because there are some books coming down the
        pike (such as Keith R.A. DeCandido's "A SINGULAR DESTINY") that will
        also be part of that hard-to-define category.

        Just my two cents.

        Thanks for reading, and for taking the time to share your comments.

        Best,
        David Mack