Kobayashi Maru and beyond (Possible Spoilers)

  • Ian McFarlane
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
      I just completed this novel on Friday and it was amazing. Very well writren.
      Filled with action and intrigue and lots of "Starfleety" stuff. Very good
      read.

      However, I had some questions about the Romulan War timeline. Actually it
      was more like pleasant surprises.

      For the longest time I'd simply assumed that the war lasted 1 year and began
      and ended in 2160. However, to be frank, after reading the novel and
      checking Memory Alpha, I realized that's only when the treat was as signed
      and in fact no mention had eve been made of when the war started. This
      really could have made for interesting television had ENTERPRISE remained on
      the air until this year. However, I am not sure if the series creators would
      have simply jumped forward a few years to catch up to 2161. I guess they
      could have though.

      I read at the Memory Alpha site that the 2156-2160 dates for the
      Earth-Romulan War was derived from production art from In the Mirror Darkly
      ENT episode Pt II? Wow, talk about really searching for canonical data. :-)

      I look forward to the "The Romulan War" book coming out next year. That
      should be quite amazing. I wonder if it will span the full 4 year period? I
      was surprised to see that only Michael Martin would be involved in that book
      next year sans his partner Mangels.

      And now it's on to "Gods of Night".

      It's funny but all this ST novel co-ordination is beginning to remind me of
      all those grand continuity schemes that we see in the comics. Good stuff but
      definitely a far cry from the old days when the books were less tied into
      each other. I for one kind like it.

      iMac

    • De Baisch
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        Oddly, the span of the Earth-Romulan War was never established. The four-year span was made up by Mike and Denise Okuda for the Star Trek Chronology.

        De

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
          I'll take that. :-)

          But like I said..that could have made the final seasons of a 7 season
          ENTERPRISE very, very, very interesting.

          I am really glad we have the books because they really fire up a vision of
          this untold era of the early trek universe.

          Too bad Paramount (or mainstream audiences) weren't receptive to exploring
          that further.

          iMac