Star Trek Book for Young Son

  • alpacaboucle
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:04 AM
      Hi all
      I am new to this group and am hoping for some suggesttions. Can anyone
      recommend a first star trek book for my nine year old ds. He has
      watched all of Voyager, all of TOS, and much of Next Gen and DS9. He
      has read the Star Trek encyclopedia several times over. He is an
      excellent reader but I am more than willing to read a novel aloud to
      him. I think he would love a book the dealt with star ships and battles.
      As I am new to the Star Trek books myself, I am unsure where to begin
      with him. Thank you for your help.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 7:51 AM
        >I am new to this group and am hoping for some suggesttions. Can anyone
        >recommend a first star trek book for my nine year old ds. He has
        >watched all of Voyager, all of TOS, and much of Next Gen and DS9. He
        >has read the Star Trek encyclopedia several times over. He is an
        >excellent reader but I am more than willing to read a novel aloud to
        >him. I think he would love a book the dealt with star ships and battles.
        >As I am new to the Star Trek books myself, I am unsure where to begin
        >with him. Thank you for your help.

        Pretty much any of the recent TREK novels are good for a
        nine-year-old who's a good enough reader to handle the ENCYCLOPEDIA.
        Here are some recent books that he would probably like, especially if
        he likes starships and battles:

        ERRAND OF FURY Books 1-2: SEEDS OF RAGE and DEMANDS OF HONOR by Kevin
        Ryan (Book 3: SACRIFICES OF WAR will be out in January of 2009)

        EXCELSIOR: FORGED IN FIRE by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels

        KLINGON EMPIRE: A BURNING HOUSE by Keith R.A. DeCandido

        TWIST OF FAITH, an omnibus reprinting the first five post-finale DS9 stories

        I'd also strongly recommend a nine-book TNG miniseries that was
        published in 2004:
        A TIME TO BE BORN by John Vornholt
        A TIME TO DIE by John Vornholt
        A TIME TO SOW by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
        A TIME TO HARVEST by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
        A TIME TO LOVE by Robert Greenberger
        A TIME TO HATE by Robert Greenberger
        A TIME TO KILL by David Mack
        A TIME TO HEAL by David Mack
        A TIME FOR WAR, A TIME FOR PEACE by Keith R.A. DeCandido

        www.DeCandido.net
        kradical.livejournal.com

        "Americans are a stupid people, by and large -- we pretty much
        believe whatever we're told."
        ---Detective Ed Norris, THE WIRE, 6 January 2008
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 8:38 AM
          --- alpacaboucle <alpacaboucle@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          > I am new to this group and am hoping for some
          > suggesttions. Can anyone
          > recommend a first star trek book for my nine year
          > old ds. He has
          > watched all of Voyager, all of TOS, and much of Next
          > Gen and DS9. He
          > has read the Star Trek encyclopedia several times
          > over. He is an
          > excellent reader but I am more than willing to read
          > a novel aloud to
          > him. I think he would love a book the dealt with
          > star ships and battles.
          > As I am new to the Star Trek books myself, I am
          > unsure where to begin
          > with him. Thank you for your help.

          You would have to find them used but my children
          really loved the DS9 and TNG young adult titles. They
          literarly wore a couple of the titles out with
          rereading them. Your public library may have them as
          well.

          Sounds like he's a strong reader so I would pick
          something set in his favorite series that highlights a
          favorite character. My youngest was a big Worf fan so
          he started with the DeCandido's IKS Gorkon books.