Re: [Star Trek Books] What I've Been Reading...

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2007
      --- menes@... wrote:

      > I read up until the 11 New Frontier book,
      > "Restoration", (which I loved)
      > but then decided to switch tracks for awhile. Since
      > then I've read:
      >
      > Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang *****
      > Awesome book.
      >
      > Hollow Men by Una McCormack ***
      > I liked a lot of what was here, but it didn't quite
      > gel for me.
      >
      > String Theory, Book 1: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang ****
      > Another great book.
      >
      > I also reread "The Left Hand of Destiny, Books I &
      > II", "The Lives of Dax" &
      > "Section 31: Rogue".
      >
      > I'm currently reading the 2nd String Theory book,
      > and planning on finishing
      > the trilogy before moving on to "The Battle of
      > Betazed" & "Section 31:
      > Shadow".
      >
      > And that's what I've been reading lately. ;-0)

      Sounds like a pretty good line-up to me!

      I had the same reaction to "Hollow Men".

      Jackie
    • Kathy Agel
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
        >I'm currently reading the 2nd String Theory book, and planning on finishing
        >the trilogy before moving on to "The Battle of Betazed"

        This is an excellent book. I'm sorry the author hasn't written any
        more Trek. (An aside -- she was on one of my romance novel lists for
        a while, but I haven't seen her post for a while.)
      • AKINSSR@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
          I too enjoyed "The Battle of Betazed" - very insightful into Lwaxana's life. I'm currently working my way through the NF? series (just finished "The Quiet Place") and I LOVE them!! I'm also working through the DS9 novels written before the series ended. I have a lot of the relaunch novels but haven't started them yet. In addition - I'm keeping up with the Vanguard books too - I wasn't sure I'd like them but after the first two I've become a real fan! I read all the Enterprise novels as well. Since I never watched much Voyager, I've only read a few of those.?And I read all the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens novels too.?My reading interests span a wide spectrum so I have no fear of running out of Trek stuff to read!!!!? Reesa

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
            I'm a huge Trek fan, who hasn't had a lot of time to read in the last
            several years, so I'm catching up on all sorts of Treks that I've missed.
            I've read 31 so far this year, and I'm not stopping until every Trek book on
            my shelves have been read. It's really been great, and it's justified the
            cash I spent on all those books. I'm still buying all the newer releases
            to, but I'm going to catch up on the older ones first. My goal is to have
            all the titles on my Trek shelves read by the end of 2008. ;-0)

            Bald Jason
            http://www.gothboy.com

          • menes@gothboy.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
              So far this year, I've read about 10 Treks. I'm starting to get
              side-lined with other books (the Dune series, and some Star Wars), but I'm
              hoping to read a lot more Trek this year as well, and I'm currening reading
              the Voyager section of the 2nd Mirror Universe volume from last year: KRAD's
              "The Mirror Scaled Serpent", which I'm enjoying so far.

              Other titles I've read this year include:

              Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Battle of Betazed
              by Charlotte Douglas and Susan Kearney

              I loved the idea of this book, and it had some really nice touches, but I
              was expecting more depth, and I felt the book had a lot of unrealized
              potential. Not a bad read at all...just not as great as it could have been.

              Star Trek - Section 31: Cloak
              by S.D. Perry

              The reverse was somewhat true of this one. I didn't have any expectations
              for this one at all and found it a vastly entertaining read.

              Star Trek - Gateways: One Small Step / One Giant Leap
              by Susan Wright

              An ok read...but I found much of it to be rather dull.

              Star Trek - Section 31: Shadow
              by Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch

              This one was more enjoyable. And I've now read all 4 Section 31 titles,
              though it's been years since I read the DS9 volume, and I might reread it in
              the near future.

              Star Trek - The Next Generation #61: Diplomatic Implausibility
              by KRAD

              Another book I've been meaning to read for years now, this one was even
              better than I expected, and I look forward to reading the other I.K.S.
              Gorkon books; hopefully soon.

              Star Trek - S.C.E. #01: The Belly of the Beast by Dean Wesley Smith
              Star Trek - S.C.E. #02: Fatal Error by KRAD
              Star Trek - S.C.E. #03: Hard Crash by Christie Golden

              All good beginnings. I enjoyed this quite a bit, which was a relief, since
              I own all the dead tree versions released so far. I look forward to
              continuing the series, though I have slight reservations about the
              'Interphase' installments.

              Star Trek - Deep Space Nine #27: A Stitch in Time
              by Andrew J. Robinson

              I love this book. I devoured it when it was new, and then gave copies to
              all my friends. I reread it every now & again, and it's always been
              enjoyable.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
                --- menes@... wrote:

                > Star Trek - Deep Space Nine #27: A Stitch in Time
                > by Andrew J. Robinson
                >
                > I love this book. I devoured it when it was new,
                > and then gave copies to
                > all my friends. I reread it every now & again, and
                > it's always been
                > enjoyable.

                I too have often given this book as a gift. I'd
                actually been trying to find a copy for someone and I
                got lucky on Monday at a used bookstore.