Re: [Star Trek Books] THE SKY'S THE LIMIT Excerpt

  • April_Anastasia
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      Kathleen,

      There is a difference between self-publishing (which I don't recommend) and having your work published into the ebook format. Even published in the traditional paper format, you'll have to help "sell" your work. There are a number of writer's sites online that can answer many of your questions. Some really good articles, too, to help protect yourself and your work from scams.

      Best of luck!

      april

      Kathleen Morey <kathleenmorey@...> wrote:
      How is everyone? I have been studying really hard for a test tomorrow; so last week I was kinda out of commission. Anyhoo, the question I have is: I am interested in learning more about ebooks. I must confess I have never even gone to any web site and looked one up. The reason I am asking is I am an amateur romance writer and I keep hearing about ebooks, and I am wondering how does one go about selling their book on line? How would I protect my work and claim it as my own? How is one paid for people reading their books? I appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks, Kathleen:)

      Jacqueline Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote: StarTrekBooks.com has an excerpt available from the upcoming TNG
      anthology set for an October release THE SKY'S THE LIMIT.

      The excerpt is from the story "Meet With Triumph and Disaster" by
      Michael Schuster & Steve Mollmann.

      Check it out at:
      http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=24&pid=537604&agid=2

    • Kenn Ferguson
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        April made some good points.
        If you were to try to sell the ebooks on your own you will have to consider many of the same things that the publishers have had to- especially regarding the copyright protection of your work. As an electronic file it is subject to rules of a computer file. It can be copied, edited, printed, transmitted, etc. Certain programs now exist that attempt to lock a file from being edited, and for every "lock" there is a "key" also available on the web that will allow a person to edit the file anyway. So finding something fool proof is a fools mission. People that use e-books are usually computer saavy; they know themselves, or know someone that can help them break the lock. And as an e-book you will likely find a smaller market for your material than if in print.
        E-book users often have PDAs so the electronic version is convenient to store in their device. I predict it rare that an ebook user chooses to read a story on a full-blown computer. A paperback is much more convenient than a laptop. Pocket Books started out selling The Corps of Engineers as an ebook that later went to print. It would be interesting to know how well that turned out for them.
        If you think that in the future you will want to be printed and sold mainstream, then be careful about self publishing. You may create a reputation for yourself that would later be undesirable. If you start a series online, it will be awkward to start printing it. You have created an expectation in your readers and they may not be willing to switch.
        Most publishers want to print work from established authors, names that will sell. Newly established authors can be recognized by submitting work to short story magazines and contests. As with ST fans, Asimov's is a good source to get seen; or submitting work for the Strange New World anthologies is a good way to noticed. Consider similar avenues related to your romance subject.
        If you are going to try to sell your work to a publisher you are very likely going to need an agent. The public library often has a book listing legitimate literary agents that you can review. This is expecially true in the case with Simon & Schuster, the owner of Pocket Books, the holder of the exclusive rights to print Star Trek related fiction. Getting an agent may not be a bad idea even for self-publishing since many agents have been around the block a few times so they understand some of the commerical aspects too, but this may be a harder find.Of course, Star Trek fiction is copyrighted to CBS Studios, and no one is allowed to write Trek-based fiction without the consent of the copyright holder. An exclusive license has been given to S&S/PB to create stories for sale so no one else may legally distribute ST stories without permission from one of those companies. Fan fiction found on the web could be considered illegal and in violation of copyright laws. It is apparent that CBS has chosen not to go after the various fan sites like Paramount did a few years ago which would explain why there are so many sites- it has nothing to do with permission or being legal- they just haven't been caught.

        While the initial request was for romance stories, I wanted to turn this story around to apply to Trek since this is a Trek-based reading group and MOST of the members here would be more interested in how this topic applies to them.

        I am not trying to recommend one or the other. I am trying to make a few points to consider. While at first I thought this topic to be something almost related to spam since the person that made the initial request wasn't even talking about Trek- but when I consider the similar points that can be made I am glad it came up and I look forward to more comments and corrections. It might even be AWESOME to hear some personal stories from those that have lived through it.
        Kenn
        www.geocities.com/kenn_ferguson

        To: startrekbooks@yahoogroups.comFrom: kathleenmorey@...: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:35:32 -0700Subject: Re: [Star Trek Books] THE SKY'S THE LIMIT Excerpt

        How is everyone? I have been studying really hard for a test tomorrow; so last week I was kinda out of commission. Anyhoo, the question I have is: I am interested in learning more about ebooks. I must confess I have never even gone to any web site and looked one up. The reason I am asking is I am an amateur romance writer and I keep hearing about ebooks, and I am wondering how does one go about selling their book on line? How would I protect my work and claim it as my own? How is one paid for people reading their books? I appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks, Kathleen:)Jacqueline Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote: StarTrekBooks.com has an excerpt available from the upcoming TNG anthology set for an October release THE SKY'S THE LIMIT.The excerpt is from the story "Meet With Triumph and Disaster" by Michael Schuster & Steve Mollmann.Check it out at:http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=24&pid=537604&agid=2Jackie---------------------------------Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • BrynaC
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          I can not wait for The Sky's The Limit to come out...I'm all excited. I've been loving all the new TNG books. Especially Q&A!!! I'm gonna re read the Titan series while I wait. The 4th one is coming soon, isn't it?

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            Please remember to change the subject line folks if
            you're going far enough off-topic.

            Thanks!
            Jackie

            --- Kathleen Morey <kathleenmorey@...> wrote:

            > How is everyone? I have been studying really hard
            > for a test tomorrow; so last week I was kinda out of
            > commission. Anyhoo, the question I have is: I am
            > interested in learning more about ebooks.
          • Kathleen Morey
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              I apologize, I did not think this too off topic since we have authors in this group; and I just wanted their opinion regarding ebooks. I had no idea that the publishers took the paperbacks and turned them into ebooks. I thought the authors did this themselves. Since this group had discussed ebooks before, I did not think I was straying off topic. Again, my apologies. Why Kenn would consider my question 'spam' has concerned me as I do not understand. I have been with this group for several years and have seen other questions presented more off topic then mine, and no one ever called the other off topics spam. Again, my apologies. Kat

              --- Kathleen Morey <kathleenmorey@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > How is everyone? I have been studying really hard

              > for a test tomorrow; so last week I was kinda out of

              > commission. Anyhoo, the question I have is: I am

              > interested in learning more about ebooks.

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                >I can not wait for The Sky's The Limit to come out...I'm all
                >excited. I've been loving all the new TNG books. Especially Q&A!!!

                Thanks!

                >I'm gonna re read the Titan series while I wait. The 4th one is
                >coming soon, isn't it?

                Yes, SWORD OF DAMOCLES by Geoffrey Thorne is a December release.

                www.DeCandido.net
                kradical.livejournal.com

                "Let's look death in the face and say, whatever, man."
                ---Hurley, LOST, 28 February 2007
              • Ian McFarlane
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Although based on past experience, it probably means late November in most
                  markets e.g. New York.

                  I cannot wait to get my hands on another Titan book. I just realized that
                  the last one was released in either December '05 or January '06!!!

                  Wowzers.

                  imac

                  >I can not wait for The Sky's The Limit to come out...I'm all
                  >excited. I've been loving all the new TNG books. Especially Q&A!!!

                  Thanks!

                  >I'm gonna re read the Titan series while I wait. The 4th one is
                  >coming soon, isn't it?

                  Yes, SWORD OF DAMOCLES by Geoffrey Thorne is a December release.

                  Keith R.A. DeCandido
                  keith@decandido. <mailto:keith%40decandido.net> net

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                    For publishers releasing e-books.... that would be up to the individual companies and their respective licensing agreements. In the case with Star Trek, Pocket Books is the one that decides if a book is going to be an ebook or not; they may ask for the opinion of the author to help decide whether to do this or not but I personally do not think this is likely.
                    So, does the publisher or the author release an ebook? If you write a totally original story then you are not constrained to licensing agreements and can have your choice. You could even make this one of the discussions with a publisher if you choose that approach. A publisher would be helpful in marketing a book; paper or e-version.Kenn
                    www.geocities.com/kenn_ferguson

                    I apologize, I did not think this too off topic since we have authors in this group; and I just wanted their opinion regarding ebooks. I had no idea that the publishers took the paperbacks and turned them into ebooks. I thought the authors did this themselves. Since this group had discussed ebooks before, I did not think I was straying off topic. Again, my apologies. Why Kenn would consider my question 'spam' has concerned me as I do not understand. I have been with this group for several years and have seen other questions presented more off topic then mine, and no one ever called the other off topics spam. Again, my apologies. Kat----- Original Message ----From: Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...>To: startrekbooks@yahoogroups.comSent: Monday, October 1, 2007 1:24:52 PMSubject: Re: [Star Trek Books] THE SKY'S THE LIMIT Excerpt/ReminderPlease remember to change the subject line folks ifyou're going far enough off-topic.Thanks!Jackie--- Kathleen Morey <kathleenmorey@ yahoo.com> wrote:> How is everyone? I have been studying really hard> for a test tomorrow; so last week I was kinda out of> commission. Anyhoo, the question I have is: I am> interested in learning more about ebooks. <!--#ygrp-mkp{border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px 14px;}#ygrp-mkp hr{border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#ygrp-mkp #hd{color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0px;}#ygrp-mkp #ads{margin-bottom:10px;}#ygrp-mkp .ad{padding:0 0;}#ygrp-mkp .ad a{color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}--><!--#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{font-family:Arial;}#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{margin:10px 0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}--><!--#ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;}#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#ygrp-text{font-family:Georgia;}#ygrp-text p{margin:0 0 1em 0;}#ygrp-tpmsgs{font-family:Arial;clear:both;}#ygrp-vitnav{padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;}#ygrp-vitnav a{padding:0 1px;}#ygrp-actbar{clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}#ygrp-actbar .left{float:left;white-space:nowrap;}.bld{font-weight:bold;}#ygrp-grft{font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;}#ygrp-ft{font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666;padding:5px 0;}#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{padding-bottom:10px;}#ygrp-vital{background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}#ygrp-vital #vithd{font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;}#ygrp-vital ul{padding:0;margin:2px 0;}#ygrp-vital ul li{list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee;}#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;}#ygrp-vital ul li .cat{font-weight:bold;}#ygrp-vital a{text-decoration:none;}#ygrp-vital a:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#ygrp-sponsor #hd{color:#999;font-size:77%;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov{padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}#ygrp-sponsor #nc{background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad{padding:8px 0;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad a{text-decoration:none;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad p{margin:0;}o{font-size:0;}.MsoNormal{margin:0 0 0 0;}#ygrp-text tt{font-size:120%;}blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}.replbq{margin:4;}-->__________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Kathleen Morey