Re: And Then, It Happened

  • Allyn Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
      On Thursday, August 30, 2007, blackcoatcowboy wrote:

      > Any recommendations for my father, a retired 65 year old veteran?

      FEDERATION would be a good choice.

      I'd recommend CONSTELLATIONS, and not because I have a story in the
      book--it's good anthology, period. :)

      For a retired veteran, I might suggest Dayton Ward's IN THE NAME OF
      HONOR. That would be right up his alley.

      Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

      Comparisons of Holden Caulfield and Huck Finn are inevitable. Huck
      comes off better. Huck understood freedom in the American way, as
      the absence of social restraints, and did something about it by
      lighting out for the territories. Holden merely pioneered a new
      fashion statement with his baseball cap: "I swung the old peak
      round to the back." In case you were wondering about the pedigree
      of that bit of contemporary infantilism.
      -- George F. Will, "Holden Caulfield, American Whiner"
      The Washington Post, 1 July 2001
    • Ian McFarlane
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        I'd recommend:

        Section 31: Rogue (one of the best TNG stories ever)

        Titan: Taking Wing and The Red King

        DS9: The 34th Rule

        Lost Era: Serpents Amongst The Ruins.

        Cream of the crop right there. Cream of the crop.

        Jackie's recommendations for Vendetta and Q SQUARED are also top notch
        choices in my opinion.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          My dad liked TOS. I gave him The New Frontier books.
          He like it.