What I've Been Up To... (a long post)

  • menes@gothboy.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
      I decided back in January that I was going to read more this year. I
      haven't been reading as much in the last few years, even though I continued
      buying books, because I knew someday I'd read them. The reading has begun
      at last. lol

      The Star Trek books I've read this year include:

      Mirror Universe: Glass Empires -

      I thought the Enterprise story in this volume "Age of the Empress" was ok,
      and enjoyed how the other stories referenced it. I had some minor problems
      with the story, but I can't even remember what they were at this point. I
      think part of it had to do with the ending, and another thing had to do with
      Shran. lol I thought the Classic Trek section "The Sorrows of Empire" was
      the best of the bunch, once it got going, and was easily the best Mirror
      Universe story that I've read so far, in any form - really going beyond what
      I had expected - it really connected "Mirror, Mirror" to "Crossover" in
      surprising and moving ways. The Next Generation section "The Worst of Both
      Worlds", was kind of all over the place, and I just didn't connect with it
      in any meaningful way. I even considered not finishing it, but decided to
      keep going, and I was happy when it was over.

      Star Trek Enterprise: The Good That Men Do -

      This book was fantastic! Everything I hear about this continuation of the
      series has me excited for upcoming volumes! The only gripe I had was the
      framing story. While I loved the DS9 of it, and I'm a huge Jake / Nog fan I
      hated the holodeck framing story in "These Are The Voyages..." because it
      seemed so impossible for it to be accurate in any real way, and using this
      same device to fix that horrible story seemed like a major flaw, at least to
      me. Beyond that, it was very respectful to the series that spawned it, and
      served to undo much of the damage infliced by Enterprise's so-called finale.
      Good work.

      I was planning on reading the 2nd Mirror Universe volume in prep for
      "Fearful Symmetry" but when that got pushed back, I decided to read other
      unread Treks. I had read the original 4 New Frontier 'chap books' when they
      were first released, but I just couldn't get into them back then. For one
      thing, the environment I read them in was not condusive to enjoyment of such
      things. 2ndly, I had a hard time embracing the new characters, while I also
      felt that Robin Lefler didn't really come alive in the books. I wrote them
      off as a failed experiment. A few years ago I decided that I'd give them
      another shot and I collected the entire series. A few weeks ago I started
      reading them again, and fell in love with them. The only thing I still
      didn't love this time around was Robin Lefler; she doesn't "feel" like the
      character from "Darmok" & "The Game", and when I read the books I don't
      picture Ashley Judd at all, which is fine I guess. I went back and watched
      those episodes before reading the books, and while I loved them when they
      aired, I think her performance is kind of lacking - she's definitely grown
      as an actress - and I still like her. Once I moved beyond that glitch and
      accepted the written character as someone other than the character in those
      Next Generation episodes, I fell in love with her. So far I've read:

      New Frontier #01: House of Cards
      New Frontier #02: Into The Void
      New Frontier #03: The Two-Front War
      New Frontier #04: End Game
      New Frontier #05: Martyr
      New Frontier #06: Fire On High

      I have all the other books in the series (not including the young adult
      series), and I'm really looking forward to reading them, but after reading 6
      books in a row, I wanted something a bit different, so I moved on to
      "Vendetta', also by Peter David, and also featuring New Frontier characters
      Shelby & Selar, among others. This book was referenced in 'House of Cards'
      so while it's not really part of the series, it's like I'm reading backstory
      for the series. I have 130 pages left in that book, and then I'm not sure
      what I'm reading next, but it will most likely be a book I haven't read
      before.

      What's everybody else reading?

      Bald Jason
      http://www.gothboy.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
        --- menes@... wrote:

        > What's everybody else reading?
        >
        > Bald Jason

        I've haven't been reading much Star Trek lately. Just
        finished Vanguard--Reap the Whirlwind, which was
        great.

        Got to get caught up on the COE when I get a chance.
        We're moving next week so it may be a while before I
        have time.

        Non-Trek reading THE ROAD and MR. DARCY'S DIARY.