Technical Manuals and Companions

  • lonereconeagle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
      Techincal Manuals

      TOS had Star Fleet Technical Manual.
      MOV had Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.
      TNG had a Technical Manual.
      DS9 had a Technical Manual.

      Both Voyager and Enterprise never had Tech Manuals published for them.

      Does anyone have information on why, besides lack of possible
      interest and low sales?

      Companions
      TOS had the Star Trek Compendium (updated through TUC)
      TNG had the ST:TNG Companion (updated through NEM)
      DS9 had the ST:DS9 Companion
      VOY had the ST:VOY Companion

      Enterprise has nothing. Ive heard it wasnt produced because of low
      sales.

      Does anyone think that they will produce it once the new (horrible,
      reimagined) movie comes out?

      Does anyone know if the Animated Series was ever covered in the
      Compendium? Ive yet to purchase it.

      ==Russell Nash==
    • Carl Stark
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
        TOS Compendium has sections for TAS. Also look for Bjo Trimble's wonderful
        Star Trek Concordance for some additional TAS details.

        I would love to see an updated Star Trek Encyclopedia with the last Voyager
        seasons, Nemesis and Enterprise covered. I would also love to see updates
        to the Star Trek Chronology book as well. However Pocket and Paramount
        publish books to make money. If they don't sell, then it is unlikely that
        they will publish any further books. I can't really blame them as this is
        business.

        I'm certain that the new movie (hopefully not a re-image) and the 50th
        anniversary in 2016 will be opportunities to cash in on the franchise and
        release several books that may not have received the green light otherwise.

        Until then, when fans find a need they try to fill it (thus several fan
        produced resource books/blueprints and the current range of fan-films).
        Keep an eye out on the internet. You never know what you might find.

        But then again this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

        Carl

      • menes@gothboy.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
          The Animated Series IS covered in the Compendium.

          I'll hold off judgment on the new Trek movie until after I see it. If it's
          fantastic that's great. If it's horrible, I don't think it will affect my
          love of Trek in any way.