Re: [Star Trek Books] Answers about eBooks, eNovels

  • Steve Roby
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007
      On 6/2/07, lonereconeagle <lonereconeagle@...> wrote:

      > Second, the reason store are low on
      > Trek books and high on Star Wars books is due to previous 12 month
      > sales and returns to the publisher.

      The reason stores have a lot of Star Wars books is because they sell a lot
      of Star Wars books. Star Wars books sell a lot more copies than Star Trek
      books. Locus, the news magazine of the science fiction book world, has a
      number of monthly bestseller lists from various sources (big chains,
      specialty SF stores, etc). On average, IIRC, about 80% of the best-selling
      media tie-in books are Star Wars books.

      > Third, TPTB at Borders have told their employees that
      > within the next decade, there will be no more book stores and they
      > all will be out of jobs. The reason? eBooks will take over the market
      > and people will only have that choice in book format.

      I have books printed before my parents were born, when my grandparents were
      young (a few Tom Swift books from 1910-1920, for example). They still work.
      Books are not dependent on a particular platform, program, or OS. Ebooks as
      they exist today not only won't replace print books, they can't. They simply
      cannot do what print books can, and the things that ebooks can do that print
      books can't don't make up for it.

      Show me an ebook reader that doesn't need any more power source than ambient
      light, that doesn't cost anything, that you can share with someone else,
      that can't break, that you can safely forget at a cafe or on the bus, that
      doesn't need Internet access, that can be handled without any training or
      learning curve by a four-year-old or an eighty-year-old, that you can drop
      in a box and pick up again decades later and read without difficulty, and
      then you might start getting close to eliminating print books.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007
        1 problem with suggesting Large Print, Jackie, They have large print here @ my Public Library & most of tyhe titles they get are Westerns, romances & Mystrys. Every once in awhile a non fic Lg. Print will show up. There is almost no Sci Fi Large Print available ( Niche Mkt for somebody. Hint, Hint). I guess the older generation only reads the afore mentioned genres & not Sci Fi. I even asked the librarian & she said that amt of Lg. Print Sci Fi would almost fit on the head of a pin.
        Audio books would be the better answer as a lot of S.T. Titles are advertised to be out on audio( tape,CD).
        L L & P
        Don H.

        Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote:

        --- lonereconeagle <lonereconeagle@...> wrote:

        > Its funny you should write that, Jackie.
        >
        > Last week i had a long talk with the Border Books
        > employee in charge
        > of the SciFi section. A few things came to light.
        > First, because of
        > the difficulty of having regular scifi book in
        > alphabeticaly order by
        > last name followed by series in alphabetical order,
        > Borders has
        > decided to move all novel series into the mix. So
        > instead of going to
        > the end of the scifi rows and looking for Star Trek,
        > it now will be
        > between Stackpole and Tolkein. Second, the reason
        > store are low on
        > Trek books and high on Star Wars books is due to
        > previous 12 month
        > sales and returns to the publisher. When Borders
        > orders the next Trek
        > novel, they look at the sales from each Trek novel
        > from the past 12
        > months & their returns to the publisher and then
        > decide how little to
        > order. Sometime they arrive on date from the Borders
        > warehouse and
        > sometimes they arrive days late. As for Star Wars,
        > Borders says they
        > cannot keep new Star Wars books in stock and they
        > always over order
        > them and display them at the front door so that they
        > can sell the
        > most they can. Third, TPTB at Borders have told
        > their employees that
        > within the next decade, there will be no more book
        > stores and they
        > all will be out of jobs. The reason? eBooks will
        > take over the market
        > and people will only have that choice in book
        > format.

        Funny, I work for Borders and our store doesn't work
        like that. For example the new Vanguard novel is
        prominent on the new paperback display along with
        other SciFi titles.

        > How does this tie-in with your quote? My dad is in
        > his mid 60s. He
        > likes reading, but cant find large print books that
        > he wants to buy
        > (BTW, large print is either 11 reg, 13 reg, or 16
        > BOLD font). When
        > was the last time you saw a MMPB, large print of
        > Louis L'Amour?
        > Never. That publishing group only prints HB, large
        > print books. My
        > dad cannot afford the prices of HB books. And there
        > are have been no
        > releases of eBooks by that author.

        Your Dad might want to approach the public library for
        help. There are several publishers who reprint titles
        in large print for libraries. Even if your closest
        library doesn't carry the titles he's looking for they
        should be able to order them for him.

      • Dee
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007
          also you read something and turn back a few pages to check something out because you can't remember it. I will never give up my books. I have one bedroom that is nothing but book shelves and I love to see all the colorful covers and the fact that i do have certain series or that i am missing parts just by looking at that section of the shelf. Dee

          YAHOO/AIM/AOL dragonscub1a ICQ 380495169
          WINDOWS LIVE/MSN drgnscub1@...
          http://cubbys-den.covenspace.com/ (vixis with a little v)
          http://www.myspace.com/vampires_klingons_oh_my (Vixis)

          Captain, USS Dragon's Cub NCC-81003, "Qapla" Class, SFI Region 4

          "And if it hurt none, then let it be.......or turn your head so you don't have to watch........"
          Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie
          "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus" or ketchup depending on the mood.

        • Dee