Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: Star Trek Collections and What Else Do You Read

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
      At last count I had over 500 Star Trek Books, that
      includes the log books, reference books, photo novels,
      Bantam titles etc. (That doesn't include the eBooks
      and a handful of comics.

      In addition to Star Trek I read other SciFi, a lot of
      mysteries, historical fiction and non-fiction titles.

      Reading is my prefered leisure activity and I rarely
      go anywhere without a book in hand in case I get a few
      minutes to read.

      Jackie

      --- Frances Coleman <francyco2@...> wrote:

      > I would have to go count my Star Trek books but it
      > is more than 220, as for other books my ex-husband
      > used to say we had bookshelves instead of wall paper
    • Staci Hapdock
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 7, 2007
        don hallenbeck <photoman_flash@...> wrote:

        Currently reading a novel by Spider Robinson that was done from an outline of a novel that Rbt. Heinlien had started, but got sidetracked. Mr. Heinlien's Estate asked Mr. Robinson to flesh it out & write the novel. I can't remeber the name & don't want to get up to dig in my pack for it.

        The title of the one you're reading is Variable Star, released in hardcover last October. I was lucky enough to get a copy of it autographed by Spider himself (for my Dad, unfortunately, but he's good about lending it to me) at a press conference and reading naming Spider Robinson as the Writer-in-Residence for the HR MacMillan planetarium here in Vancouver. IMHO, -everybody- should read this book. It's absolutely, utterly incredible!

        My current book catalogue says that I have 313 Star Trek books, but I know that that number is low. I had a 'puter crash a while back that lost most of my catalogue and as I'm rebuilding it I'm putting more info in as well, including back cover blurbs, to facilitate lending books to others w/out having everyone wandering through my bedroom all the time. It's taking a while to update it, but I think the end result will be worth it.

        The Treks are the largest section of my collection, only 'cause there are more available than any of the other sections. I've also got about 100 Star Wars books, the Dark Angel trilogy, Babylon 5, Buffy, Angel, Andromeda, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, plus a very large wish list, mostly of stuff I've read through the library and really want. Just waiting for the cash flow to play with. The rest of my collection is every Heinlein, every Spider Robinson, almost all of Anne McCaffrey, especially Dragonriders, the Brainship series, and the Freedom's Landing series, Elizabeth Moon's Herris Serrano, Once a Hero, and Vatta's War series, the Hitchhikers books, Robert Asprin's MYTH series, Phule series, and the Time Scout books, Ender's Game and the earth-bound sequels (didn't like the original sequels at all), Doohan's Flight Engineers, a bunch of Niven and Pournelle books, Jody Lynn Nye's Taylor's Ark series, Harry Potter, Narnia and David Weber's Honor Harrington
        books. Plus of course a whole raft of other authors and books. I don't have a lot of non-sci-fi, except for Lucy Maude Montgomery's books, and a huge whack of recipe and craft books. Other than sci-fi I tend to prefer learning stuff, so I download a lot of info from the net, and read it on my PDA. I'm mostly just a sci-fi geek, with way too many hobbies.

        Recent Activity

        2
        New Members

        Visit Your Group
        Give Back
        Yahoo! for Good
        Get inspired
        by a good cause.

        Y! Toolbar
        Get it Free!
        easy 1-click access
        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups
        Start a group
        in 3 easy steps.
        Connect with others.

        .

        "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
        Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 16, 2007
            I too have an extensive Trek fiction collection which I have been putting together over the past 7 to 8 years. I believe I have all the books that have been published including Bantam, Ballantine, and Pocket Books. I even have three 1st edition copies of Mission to Horatius and first edition copies of all the paperbacks issued pre-1983.
            I am now working on my Young Adult Collection and have the last few Foto Novels to collect.
            As far as pure numbers I do not know, but Trek books are the biggest section in my personal library.
            To Jeff Ayers and Pocket Books thanks so much for "Voyages of the Imagination". What a great gift to all Trek fiction fans. As I read a book I highlight it so I know what I've read and what I want to grab next.
            I am somewhat goofy in my approach to reading and I am going through my books in the order they were published. That means I am still back in 1991, It is excitng to see what the future holds. To Jeff: I hope you and the publishers of "VotI" will update this book somewhere down the road. It would be great to have a constantly updated edition of this great book. Even if it is five years between updates.
            Since I am still reading what many of you will consider "the old stuff" I hope you won't mind my comments on what I've read. Maybe it will give some newer readers some ideas on what is out there, floating around the used book stores. I enjoyed some very good books.
            irishred9scorpio <IrishScorpion@...> wrote:
            I was wondering if anyone else here keeps count of the number of TREK
            books they have and which series they keep complete.

            I currently have 442 Trek novels from 157 different authors (not
            including authors from STRANGE NEW WORLDS). I am missing 76 published
            books, 18 to be published this year, and 13 yet to be given dates for
            publication. All my books are paperback, except, for MISSION to
            HORATIUS. My oldest book is a first edition James Blish STAR TREK 2
            from 1968. And my most complete series is DEEP SPACE NINE.

            I also read Ian Fleming's JAMES BOND, V, 24: Declassified, Dark
            Angel, Indiana Jones, Stargate, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica
            (classic and Richard Hatch's continuation), Buck Rodgers in the 25th
            Century, TekWar, Dune, Jack Ryan (Tom Clancy), Marine Corps (personal
            bias due to second generation service in the Corps) accounts from
            various wars (WWI - current Iraq/Afghanistan), Aliens, GI JOE comics,
            and Harry Potter.

            My vast book collections and DVD collections keep me entertained when
            im not looking for employment in this vast wasteland of dead-ends in
            the Washington DC Metro Area.

          • royboogie
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 22, 2007
              Well, I ordered the 5 book Deluxe Edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to
              the Galaxy" waaaayyy back in November and it finally came yesterday. I
              had actually forgot I ordered it. What a book. I looks like a Bible
              with black leather cover and gold-leaf edged pages (I could probably
              get away with taking this to church and reading it). Very nice book!
              Hopefully this will take me some time to read. It's hard because lately
              I run through the Trek books in a few hours. After reading some of this
              book, I understand some points in the movie now, which I enjoyed
              immensely. This man was great. His stuff is thought provoking and
              sneaks up on you if you're not paying attention.
            • Kathleen Morey