Re: time reading

  • David Young
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
      From: "Spocky" <spocky@...>
      Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:55 PM

      >I usually read in bed, before sleeping, about half an hour, or a little
      >more when I don't fall asleep. I always try to read at least a chapter. I
      >don't like to stop in the middle of a chapter.
      > I'm quite slow to read a star trek. First because I'm a slow reader and
      > second because English is not my mother language, so it takes me more time
      > to read a book in English than in French.

      [David:] Old message I'm responding to but I just thought that I'd add that
      the above comments pretty much sum up my reading habits as well (up to the
      "because English is not my mother language..." part, that is). :) (In other
      words, I also 1) tend to read at night before going to bed, 2) tend to try
      to read at least one chapter and don't like to stop in the middle of a
      chapter if I can help it (although if the chapters have those double line
      break sub-divisions, that's not as bad as I can still make a "clean break"
      if they have those), and 3) am a slow reader.)

      ***********
      David Young
      Cleveland, GA

      * Currently Reading: Popeye Volume 1: "I Yam What I Yam" (Segar, 2006)
      * Just Read: Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon Volume 1 (Raymond, 2003)
      (What else? Check out my homepage: http://www.youngtrek.com ) :)
    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
        Glad to know I'm not the only slow reader in this group! I used to not break in the middle of a chapter, but these days with so many things vying for my time, I read as long as I'm able to, (before I get antsy and realize there were other things I should be doing) and if that means I set the book down in mid-chapter, so be it. I've read some books with really long chapters, after all. These days I only read for about an hour at a time and sadly, not every day.

        april

        >I usually read in bed, before sleeping, about half an hour, or a little
        >more when I don't fall asleep. I always try to read at least a chapter. I
        >don't like to stop in the middle of a chapter.
        > I'm quite slow to read a star trek. First because I'm a slow reader and
        > second because English is not my mother language, so it takes me more time
        > to read a book in English than in French.

        [David:] Old message I'm responding to but I just thought that I'd add that
        the above comments pretty much sum up my reading habits as well (up to the
        "because English is not my mother language..." part, that is). :) (In other
        words, I also 1) tend to read at night before going to bed, 2) tend to try
        to read at least one chapter and don't like to stop in the middle of a
        chapter if I can help it (although if the chapters have those double line
        break sub-divisions, that's not as bad as I can still make a "clean break"
        if they have those), and 3) am a slow reader.)

        ***********
        David Young
        Cleveland, GA

        * Currently Reading: Popeye Volume 1: "I Yam What I Yam" (Segar, 2006)
        * Just Read: Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon Volume 1 (Raymond, 2003)
        (What else? Check out my homepage: http://www.youngtrek.com ) :)

        april

        "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

      • Staci Hapdock
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
          Oick. Just the idea of only reading that much is scary to me. I do prefer to finish up a chapter if possible, but that rarely happens. I go nuts if I don't read at least an hour a day, and it's normally more like 2 or 3. Which, since I'm luckily a quick reader, means that most books take me only 2-3 days to read.

          April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
          These days I only read for about an hour at a time and sadly, not every day.

          Recent Activity

          1
          New Members

          Visit Your Group

          Star trek deep space nine
          Star trek enterprise
          Star trek the next generation
          Star trek voyager
          Science fiction books

          Yahoo! News
          Get it all here
          Breaking news to
          entertainment news

          Yahoo! TV
          The Apprentice
          Get exclusive clips,
          Recaps & photos.

          Sitebuilder
          Over 380 Templates
          Build and custo-
          mize your web site

          .

          "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
          Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007

            This is actually a step up for me. I used to read the way you described, (although my reading speed has never changed :-S) but I went for long stretches of time after my children were born where I didn't read at all! So, at least I'm back to making a concerted effort. I really miss those earlier reading days.

            ,___

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007
              Well, I (technically) don't have kids of my own, but I am the involved aunty, and I got to help raise one of my nieces until she was 2 1/2, and I saw the same thing happen to her mom. After she was born she just couldn't find any time at all to read. On the other hand, even with the complete lack of time when she was so little, I was still finding ways to read. Whether that was a couple pages waiting for the water to boil or some of the nights when I'd be reading to her before she could understand and I'd read her whatever book I was reading. She got lots of sci-fi, in a nice, soothing voice! ;) But I just had to find the time, otherwise I got way too frustrated with life and all, and ended up too short on patience to deal with anything.

              April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

              I went for long stretches of time after my children were born where I didn't read at all!

              Recent Activity

              1
              New Members

              Visit Your Group
              Give Back
              Yahoo! for Good
              Get inspired
              by a good cause.

              Y! Toolbar
              Get it Free!
              easy 1-click access
              to your groups.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Start a group
              in 3 easy steps.
              Connect with others.

              .

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2007

                See? Now, I get grumpy when I'm not writing. ;-)