Re: [Star Trek Books] reading mini series

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
      Where I have to interlibrary loan ST Novels, I read them in the order I get them.
      Don H.

      jakedwrds <jakedwrds@...> wrote:
      i have a question for the group. when i read a mini series of books. i
      wait till all novels are all out before i read the whole story. on new
      years day i read all 3 of the star trek voyager string therory books.
      over a 1000 pages between the 3 books. i do this so i can have the
      story fresh in my mind from the start to the end. because i hate it
      when the books are all spread out over months from the beginning to the
      end. me i would rather read the whole entire thing in 1 sittimng. then
      when they mention some thing from book 1, i am reading book 5. i can
      rember just what they are talking about. does anyone else do this.

    • Heartwings Papillons
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
        I'm self employed (as a translator) and my work sometimes tends to be feast or famine, so I read that way too. If I have the time, I've been known to spend hours reading and do sometimes read a book in one sitting. I always have a book with me to make use of unexpected down time, but I prefer to spend an hour or two at least with a book rather than to read a few minutes here and there. Some books lend themselves well to this type of reading and some don't.

        I also tend to go on selective reading binges and will read nothing but one author or books on a particular subject/genre for awhile until I tire of it and then move on to something else. Like many, I also prefer to read the books in a series in order, I'm just one of those orderly methodical people I guess! Most of the time I read one book at a time, but sometimes I'll start a longer one, (I have Remembrance of Things Past going right now- 3200 pgs. and not an easy read) and I'll read a couple hundred pages and then leave it for awhile. I read Clinton's autobiography that way too, here and there as it was good, but not so engaging I felt compelled to finish it ASAP.

        Generally I'll read at least 100 pgs. of a book before I decide it's crap or unreadable and put it down, never to be finished. Luckily, that seldom happens! One thing I did do and would suggest is that I joined a local book club about two years ago. We read one book a month and meet the last Tuesday of the month to discuss it. I can't tell you how much joining the book club has broadened my horizons! I now read things I never would have before and thoroughly enjoy the discussions. If only someone would start a Trek only book club!

        I look at reading Trek books as a literary dessert of sorts. I really enjoy sitting back with the Trek characters, my long time "friends", and sharing an adventure or two. Reading a Trek novel is like putting on that old comfortable bathrobe! I do not mean to belittle Trek lit as there are some very fine Trek books out there, it's just that I enjoy them in a different way than a best seller. Try as they might, all those Pulitzer prize winning authors can never present me with characters that I hold as near and dear as those of Trek!

        I started writing Trek fanfic earlier this year (and I read it too) and boy has that opened a can of worms! If you think reading is addictive, try writing LOL! If you have never read Trek fanfic, do surf around and try some. There's a lot of mediocre at best stuff, but some of it is very imaginative and so well written it's better than the pro fic. Unlike the pro fic, many fanfic stories tend to be very focused towards a particular character/characters or aspect of Trek and one can find what appeals to them most: romance, technical issues, time travel, a particular race of aliens and so on.

        "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel as if you lost a friend." - Paul Sweeney

        Heartwings
        http://www.freewebs.com/heartwings/

      • Dee
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
          i do the same thing. i have sci fi books that are old series that i am trying to find parts of and won't read them till i find the whole thing. sometimes it takes years to find the whole set but it is worth it. Dee

          YAHOO/AIM/AOL dragonscub1a ICQ 291581762 MSN drgnscub1@...

          Captain, USS Dragon's Cub NCC-81003, Qapla" Class, SFI Region 4

          "And if it hurt none, then let it be.......or turn your head so you don't have to watch........"

          "Thou shall not meddle in the affairs of dragons, thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

          Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie
          "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
            Hartwings, I've a lot of Strange New World's books & would enjoy reading what you've wrote. In another group I'm in , there's a lady who tries to post a chapter a week of fan fic for that group. I've been trying to get her to keep it together & send it to the Publisher of the novels comming out of this now canceled show from the tube.
            Anyway, Keep up the good work & someday you too can be a published author like KRAD, Dayton, & Etc. ( Not to mention Me.'s own Steven King)
            Don H.

            Heartwings Papillons <papillon@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Staci Hapdock
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2007
              Depending on the what it is, and how desperately I've been waiting for it, I either wait until they're all out, or I reread each of the previous books to make sure I've read them w/in a month or so of reading the new one. In multi-book (six or more) series I do tend to only reread the last couple before the new one comes out.

              jakedwrds <jakedwrds@...> wrote:
              i have a question for the group. when i read a mini series of books. i
              wait till all novels are all out before i read the whole story. does anyone else do this.

              Recent Activity

              2
              New Members

              1
              New Links

              Visit Your Group

              Star trek deep space nine
              Star trek enterprise
              Star trek the next generation
              Star trek voyager
              Science fiction books

              Yahoo! News
              Fashion News
              What's the word on
              fashion and style?

              Yahoo! TV
              Read Ivanka's Blog
              Stay updated on
              The Apprentice.

              Drive Sales
              Connect with
              customers who are
              searching for you.

              .

              "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
              Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1