Re: [Star Trek Books] James Doohan

  • HRLJK850@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
      From whatI recall, the book came out after Star trek VI and Doohan had some
      very very unflattering things to say in it about William Shatner. As I also
      recall that was something of a surprise to many folks at the time especially
      considering the rapport the actors showed on screen. His was the first book that
      came out so everything he said was somewhat shocking. With that said, I only
      skimmed it in a bookstore years ago so I can't say whether it was good or
      bad.
    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
        William Shatner has been revealed as a bit of a Prima Dona, in the past. The rumor mill is a fast and furious device. I knew it back in the 80's, lol, but I love him anyway. His only friend, really, from the Trek series was and is Leonard Nimoy -- or so it appears.

        It's just a shame when others feel compelled to air such "dirty laundry" in a book in order to make it sell, however. And I'm in no way putting down the late James Doohan, as I've always loved him, too. It all depends on the context and why he said what he said. Was he just being mean? Had an ax to grind? Or did he need to set the stage for why he behaved or reacted to something and therefore he merely spoke the truth without malice to reap understanding?

        Unfortunately, there is a glut on the market of these despicable "tell all" books that are written for one sole purpose -- to hurt the individual whose reputation is being impugned. I abhor them.

        We build these people up, ultimately, and then seemingly delight in tearing them back down again -- what's with that?

        After all, nobody is perfect, not one of us. Some are just more charming in their obnoxious behavior than others so we tend to look the other way, or laugh with them. Others vex us to the point we boycott their work, lol.

        All in all these stars are people like us, but for the entourage of sycophants surrounding them, lying to them to keep their fragile egos intact so they have the confidence to do the work and to the point that sometimes the star begins to believe the myths about themselves.

        Standing down from my soap box now. Thank you for listening. ::bows ::

        HRLJK850@... wrote:
        From whatI recall, the book came out after Star trek VI and Doohan had some
        very very unflattering things to say in it about William Shatner. As I also
        recall that was something of a surprise to many folks at the time especially
        considering the rapport the actors showed on screen. His was the first book that
        came out so everything he said was somewhat shocking. With that said, I only
        skimmed it in a bookstore years ago so I can't say whether it was good or
        bad.

      • SueNY
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
          Actually, according to the reviews all he said about William Shatner was "I
          don't like him much". And actually, Leonard Nimoy's books "I Am Not Spock"
          and "I Am Spock" came out before Doohan's. :-)

          Sue
          > very very unflattering things to say in it about William Shatner. As I
          also
          > recall that was something of a surprise to many folks at the time
          especially
          > considering the rapport the actors showed on screen. His was the first
          book that
          > came out so everything he said was somewhat shocking. With that said, I
          only
          > skimmed it in a bookstore years ago so I can't say whether it was good or
          > bad.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • April Payne

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
              >I also believe Nichelle Nichols book preceeds Doohan's but I don't
              >have it right in front of me to verify that.

              BEYOND UHURA came out in 1994, BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY came out in 1996.

              www.DeCandido.net
              kradical.livejournal.com

              "He answers questions the way an eight-year-old does when they didn't
              read the book."
              ---Jon Stewart on President George W. Bush
            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                Ah, I was right. Thanks, Keith! :-D

                april

                "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

                >I also believe Nichelle Nichols book preceeds Doohan's but I don't
                >have it right in front of me to verify that.

                BEYOND UHURA came out in 1994, BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY came out in 1996.

                www.DeCandido.net
                kradical.livejournal.com

                "He answers questions the way an eight-year-old does when they didn't
                read the book."
                ---Jon Stewart on President George W. Bush

              • ronny_corral
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                  For the most part I find Amazon reviews pretty binary. It's either
                  the greatest book they've ever read or the biggest turkey and the
                  rating is average of all the 5 and 1 stars the book got. Not even a
                  consideration when I'm thining about getting something.

                  If you want a good laugh read the reviews of Lynn Cheney's latest
                  book. No politics there. LOL
                • HRLJK850@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
                    I always preferred the fictional world that they created - not much
                    interested in who they were/are in real life -
                  • HRLJK850@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
                      In a message dated 11/2/06 12:17:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, sue.nyc@...
                      writes:

                      << Actually, according to the reviews all he said about William Shatner was "I
                      don't like him much". And actually, Leonard Nimoy's books "I Am Not Spock"
                      and "I Am Spock" came out before Doohan's. :-)

                      Sue >>
                      I think in one of William Shatner's bios he addressed his co-stars statements
                      and I believe interviewed Nichelle Nichols about why she disliked him so much
                      - personally I'd rather read the fiction.