Re: [Star Trek Books] I need help

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      My only aversion to reading a book onscreen like that is the terrible toll it will likely take on my eyes. To me it's the same principle as staring into a computer screen. My optometrist is constantly upping the reading portion of my glasses, mostly due to the fact I'm at my computer for hours every day. My glasses are even pink tinted to help counter the effect somewhat. So, I think reading a book onscreen would weaken my eyes all the faster. It's just a guess. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. *Grin

      april

      Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote:

      <snip>
      I know alot of folks have an aversion to the idea of
      reading a book on a screen but I'd rather do that than
      not be able to read the book at all.

      My two cents,
      Jackie

      april

      "Consider me a fool, for I believe in something greater than myself." -- The Galactic Prophet

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        Good Luck to you on that. I frequent my local public library & the librarian tells me there is very little Sci-Fi published in large print, Romances, Westerns, Mysteries & some non-fiction, Popular Fiction, but the large print Sc-Fi is non existent for the most part.
        Don H.

        David Renfro <davie_renfro@...> wrote:
        Hi I need your help I love reading Star trek and have most of the
        hardbacks from the last 20 years but diabetes is working on my eyes
        and I can not hardly read the paperbacks does anyone know how I might
        start a patetion to the publishers to maybe print some in large print
        thanks in advance
        David

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
          That's funny because I find it is easier on my eyes.
          In addition to the font size I adjust the backlight.
          But to each their own :)

          Jackie

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2006
            You can adjust the backlight? Now, see, that's something I didn't know. What about the lighting in the room, (glare, et al). I know it's important when working at a computer to have the lighting right. It certainly might save me some grief to have my books housed electronically, given that my Beagles have a penchant for eating paper -- in whatever form it takes!

            april

            Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote:
            That's funny because I find it is easier on my eyes.
            In addition to the font size I adjust the backlight.
            But to each their own :)

            Jackie

            Visit Your Group

            Science fiction books
            Star trek deep space nine
            Star trek book
            Star trek dvd
            Star trek movie

            Yahoo! News
            Most Popular News
            What's the most
            popular news now?

            Yahoo! TV
            "The 9"
            Daily count down
            of top Web finds.

            Y! GeoCities
            Create a Web Site
            Easy-to-use tools.
            Get started now.

            .

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2006
              I can't speak for all hand held devices but I've got a
              three year old Ipaq and if I go to settings I can
              change the brightness, contrast etc of the screen.

              As for glare etc. since it is a hand held I just sit
              myself down where glare isn't an issue. Of course
              that only works indoors :)

              If you've got a hand held try experimenting with the
              settings and find what you are comfortable with.

              Jackie

              --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

              > You can adjust the backlight? Now, see, that's
              > something I didn't know. What about the lighting in
              > the room, (glare, et al). I know it's important
              > when working at a computer to have the lighting
              > right. It certainly might save me some grief to
              > have my books housed electronically, given that my
              > Beagles have a penchant for eating paper -- in
              > whatever form it takes!
              >
              > april
            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2006
                Haven't made that purchase yet, lol. I've held off trying to get a feel for the pros and cons of such an expense.

                I shall certainly keep your experience with the device in mind if I move toward the electronic era in books.

[...]

                Staying in tonight?
                Check listings to
                see what is on.

                Y! GeoCities
                Be Interactive
                Create a conver-
                sation with blogs.

                .

              • Staci Hapdock
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2006
                  April, you might be able to pick up either a used PDA for really, really cheap, or even possibly borrow one off someone. Even if you're not using it to read books at first, playing around with one at home for a week or so would likely give you a good idea how it might work for you.

                  April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                  Haven't made that purchase yet, lol. I've held off trying to get a feel for the pros and cons of such an expense.

                  Visit Your Group

                  Science fiction books
                  Star trek deep space nine
                  Star trek book
                  Star trek dvd
                  Star trek movie

                  Yahoo! News
                  Get it all here
                  Breaking news to
                  entertainment news

                  Yahoo! TV
                  Staying in tonight?
                  Check listings to
                  see what is on.

                  Y! GeoCities
                  Share Your Passion
                  Join the web's lar- gest community.

                  .

                  "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
                  Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1