Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: Vanguard - Harbinger and Summon the Thunder (Explanation o

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 11, 2006
      >A lot of the people who say that "Star Trek" posits a future without
      >money, in my opinion, have misinterpreted a few key bits of canonical
      >evidence. The two chief exhibits they offer for this hypothesis are:

      Much as I hate to correct my colleague in public, I'm going to
      correct my colleague in public.

      The people who say that the Federation doesn't have money have one
      very solid piece of canonical evidence that you don't list: Jake
      Sisko in the episode "In the Cards" saying that the Federation
      doesn't have money.

      www.DeCandido.net
      kradical.livejournal.com

      "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
      ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"
    • Staci Hapdock
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 11, 2006
        I always figured that the Federation operated on a work credit type situation, with economics based on contributions, instead of on hard currency. People such as Mudd and Jones tend to operate on the fringes of UFP space, in areas where the Federation system wouldn't always be in place, and, as they don't do any 'approved' work, they therefore wouldn't have earned any credits.

        "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
        Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

      • David Mack
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 11, 2006
          --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

          > The people who say that the Federation doesn't have money have one
          > very solid piece of canonical evidence that you don't list: Jake
          > Sisko in the episode "In the Cards" saying that the Federation
          > doesn't have money.

          Actually, Jake's line was: "I'm human. I don't have any money."

          That could just as easily imply that he has no need for it,
          since Federation society doesn't require it -- especially
          on Deep Space Nine (unless he wants a drink or a meal or
          some time in a holosuite at Quark's, for instance).

          It is not a verbatim declaration that the =Federation= has no
          money-equivalent credit system. For all we know, the auction
          he wanted to bid at was cash-only, no credit allowed, which
          would be why Jake was so flummoxed about having "no money."
        • Paul Dicks
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 12, 2006
            Whether it is money as we know it, or credits (which are really the
            same thing), the Federation must have some sort of financial
            system. I remember an old Star Trek book that mentioned that James
            T. saved up his pays to buy a long strip of shore along a river on
            Alpha Centauri (one of its planets, I assume). What would the
            father of Sisko be running a restaurant for, if he had free
            government housing, and the customers were not paying for the meals
            he was providing? Humans being what we are, if we are not payed, we
            do not try harder, and no one would be working, except for the
            exceptional few, who needed more than sitting at home watching TV.
            So, I feel and think that it is short sighted to say that the
            Federation has no money. If so, how could they trade with other
            politcal entities? I don't think the Federation would need all that
            much bloodwine in return if sending the Klingons grain. Barter is
            okay for a small group of people, but once it gets to a certain
            size, you need credit chits, and voila, you have money again. What
            would cause someone to work in space building a starship, when they
            could do something simple on earth? I doubt it would be the
            adventure - it should be the pay.

            Maybe it is just me - I am a Level 1 paramedic in Toronto, and I
            could train to be higher, but a 10% increase in pay is not enough
            for accepting all the additional responsibility. Pay me more, and I
            would do it.

            Take care, Paul Dicks

            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Keith R.A. DeCandido"

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 12, 2006
              Read the SCE Foundations last night. Tip of Hat to Mr. Ward & Co. for another eggcellant Novel. When is SCE #8 due out?????
              Don H.

              "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

              >A lot of the people who say that "Star Trek" posits a future without
              >money, in my opinion, have misinterpreted a few key bits of canonical
              >evidence. The two chief exhibits they offer for this hypothesis are:

              Much as I hate to correct my colleague in public, I'm going to
              correct my colleague in public.

              The people who say that the Federation doesn't have money have one
              very solid piece of canonical evidence that you don't list: Jake
              Sisko in the episode "In the Cards" saying that the Federation
              doesn't have money.

              www.DeCandido.net
              kradical.livejournal.com

              "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
              ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 12, 2006
                And that would be correct. They use credits, not "money". If you look at the Webster's definition of money, Jake Sisko is correct, they aren't using stamped pieces of metal or paper as means of exchange. I get the impression it's all done electronically and you keep track of just how much "buying power" you have left like many of us do, via our computers, lol.

                However, to suggest that all goods and services are provided without a means of barter, be it services provided in exchange or "credits" exchanged via electronic banking is absurd. Drinks were "purchased" at the lounge in "Trouble With Tribbles" and certainly Cyrano Jones was "selling" the little furry beasts in exchange for "credits". People were still "making a living", as we call it.

                At least in the 23rd century commerce survived. It may not have been the driving force behind the formation of the Federation of Planets, but goods and services were exchanged and not simply because they were being nice and wanted to share.

                I don't believe in Utopia -- we'll end up like "Plato's Stepchildren" or worse, if we don't strive for things on our own!

                april

                "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

                >A lot of the people who say that "Star Trek" posits a future without
                >money, in my opinion, have misinterpreted a few key bits of canonical
                >evidence. The two chief exhibits they offer for this hypothesis are:

                Much as I hate to correct my colleague in public, I'm going to
                correct my colleague in public.

                The people who say that the Federation doesn't have money have one
                very solid piece of canonical evidence that you don't list: Jake
                Sisko in the episode "In the Cards" saying that the Federation
                doesn't have money.

                www.DeCandido.net
                kradical.livejournal.com

                "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
                ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

                april

                "Consider me a fool, for I believe in something greater than myself." -- The Galactic Prophet

              • rubbersoul1978
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 17, 2006
                  Those are good points. Also consider Ben Sisko's father's
                  restaurant. I remember him specifically saying that "business" was
                  suffering because of the Dominion scare. Surely he would be
                  disappointed if he had a period of time in which few patrons visited
                  his restaurant, but his concern wasn't to the point where he couldn't
                  sleep at night because of it. He just loves running a restaurant,
                  and the monetary aspect of it is certainly secondary at most.
                  Apparently, food isn't "free" in the 24th century.

                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "David Mack" <davidmack@...>