Re: Always Find Something New

  • De Baisch
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:
      > As for "James R. Kirk," that was established in
      > the first ever episode of TOS. If anything, it's all
      > the subsequent episodes that gave him the middle
      > initial T. that screwed up. *grin*

      Gene Roddenberry's initial plan was to give Kirk the
      middle name of Rice - a nod to his earlier series The
      Lieutenant whose main character was Lt. William Rice.
      Rice was played by Gary Lockwood a.k.a. Gary Mitchell
      in "Where No Man has Gone Before."

      De

      Retroactive Continuity - http://retcon.blogspot.com

      "Hands in the air, not in the nose."

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        --- royboogie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I always get something new from a
        > book even though I
        > may have read it multiple times.

        Me too--that's one of the great things about reading
        as far as I'm concerned.

        Jackie
      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          And sometimes people have two middles names . . . just as an aside.

          april

          Allyn Gibson <allyn@...> wrote:
          Roy noted:

          > I was reading "Imzadi" for the umpteenth time and noticed that in the
          > book it mentions William T. Riker's middle name as Thelonius. So I pull
          > out the dvd's and watch the episode where Riker's transporter beam was
          > split in 2 leaving a version of him marooned unbeknownst to his crew.
          > The doppleganger Riker chooses to take on their middle name Thomas
          > Riker as his first name. It might be old news, but it amazes me that
          > during the many, many times that I have read this book, that detail
          > pops up this time.

          A few things to point out.

          IMZADI was published in 1992. "Second Chances" didn't establish
          Riker's middle name as "Thomas" until a year later. And a year after
          that, in Q-SQUARED Riker gives his name as "William Thomas Thelonius
          Riker."

          Here's what I've taken away from all this.

          "Second Chances" tells us that Riker hated his middle name "Thomas."
          If he gives his name as "William T. Riker" eventually -someone- will
          ask him what his middle initial stands for. If he hates "Thomas," if
          it embarasses him, Riker might well make up a name, one that better
          fits his personality. Hence "Thelonius" after the noted jazz great
          Thelonius Monk. "William Thelonius Riker" might not be the correct
          full name, but as far as Riker's personally concerned it should be his
          real name.

          Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

          "I've never sat through a film so bad that didn't have three little
          silhouettes in the bottom right hand corner...."
          -- Helen Fayle, alt.drwho.creative, 25 May 2002,
          regarding "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones"

        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            Well, actually considering that the episode you cite, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the very first episode shot, though not the first one aired with the new cast, a decision was obviously made later on to give Kirk the middle name of Tiberius. They must have overlooked the R or figured the fan base may not have caught it.

            At that time premiere episodes were generally never second-run and in fact very few reruns occured in a season, since you actually got an entire season (or should I say the seasons were a lot longer then, running from September to May with only a two week break over the Holiday season at Christmas).

            Those were the days . . . *heavy sigh*

            april

            "Consider me a fool, for I believe in something greater than myself." -- The Galactic Prophet

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
              Well I for one am glad the error occured cause James Rice Kirk just does not
              pack the punch that James Tiberious Kirk does!!!! Theselonius??? Ick as
              well!!! Have ya'll ever noticed that Capt. Pike says "Make it so" in the
              original pilot ep?? I noticed that a couple of years back when I was watching it.
              Reesa