Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: Always Find Something New

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6 7:17 AM
      >The original series made that blunder as well, with James R. Kirk, I
      >think, on the tombstone of James T. Kirk.

      Neither of those is a blunder. "Thelonius" as Riker's middle name was
      speculation on Jonathan Frakes's part that Peter David worked into a
      book -- but which the TV writers ignored (if for no other reason than
      Riker's transporter twin walking around with the name Thelonius Riker
      would've been silly). As for "James R. Kirk," that was established in
      the first ever episode of TOS. If anything, it's all the subsequent
      episodes that gave him the middle initial T. that screwed up. *grin*

      www.DeCandido.net
      kradical.livejournal.com

      "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
      ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"
    • De Baisch
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6 7:43 AM
        --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:
        > As for "James R. Kirk," that was established in
        > the first ever episode of TOS. If anything, it's all
        > the subsequent episodes that gave him the middle
        > initial T. that screwed up. *grin*

        Gene Roddenberry's initial plan was to give Kirk the
        middle name of Rice - a nod to his earlier series The
        Lieutenant whose main character was Lt. William Rice.
        Rice was played by Gary Lockwood a.k.a. Gary Mitchell
        in "Where No Man has Gone Before."

        De

        Retroactive Continuity - http://retcon.blogspot.com

        "Hands in the air, not in the nose."

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6 8:56 AM
          --- royboogie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I always get something new from a
          > book even though I
          > may have read it multiple times.

          Me too--that's one of the great things about reading
          as far as I'm concerned.

          Jackie
        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6 4:35 PM
            And sometimes people have two middles names . . . just as an aside.

            april

            Allyn Gibson <allyn@...> wrote:
            Roy noted:

            > I was reading "Imzadi" for the umpteenth time and noticed that in the
            > book it mentions William T. Riker's middle name as Thelonius. So I pull
            > out the dvd's and watch the episode where Riker's transporter beam was
            > split in 2 leaving a version of him marooned unbeknownst to his crew.
            > The doppleganger Riker chooses to take on their middle name Thomas
            > Riker as his first name. It might be old news, but it amazes me that
            > during the many, many times that I have read this book, that detail
            > pops up this time.

            A few things to point out.

            IMZADI was published in 1992. "Second Chances" didn't establish
            Riker's middle name as "Thomas" until a year later. And a year after
            that, in Q-SQUARED Riker gives his name as "William Thomas Thelonius
            Riker."

            Here's what I've taken away from all this.

            "Second Chances" tells us that Riker hated his middle name "Thomas."
            If he gives his name as "William T. Riker" eventually -someone- will
            ask him what his middle initial stands for. If he hates "Thomas," if
            it embarasses him, Riker might well make up a name, one that better
            fits his personality. Hence "Thelonius" after the noted jazz great
            Thelonius Monk. "William Thelonius Riker" might not be the correct
            full name, but as far as Riker's personally concerned it should be his
            real name.

            Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

            "I've never sat through a film so bad that didn't have three little
            silhouettes in the bottom right hand corner...."
            -- Helen Fayle, alt.drwho.creative, 25 May 2002,
            regarding "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones"

          • April Payne
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6 4:47 PM
              Well, actually considering that the episode you cite, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the very first episode shot, though not the first one aired with the new cast, a decision was obviously made later on to give Kirk the middle name of Tiberius. They must have overlooked the R or figured the fan base may not have caught it.

              At that time premiere episodes were generally never second-run and in fact very few reruns occured in a season, since you actually got an entire season (or should I say the seasons were a lot longer then, running from September to May with only a two week break over the Holiday season at Christmas).

              Those were the days . . . *heavy sigh*

              april

              "Consider me a fool, for I believe in something greater than myself." -- The Galactic Prophet

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6 5:57 PM
                Well I for one am glad the error occured cause James Rice Kirk just does not
                pack the punch that James Tiberious Kirk does!!!! Theselonius??? Ick as
                well!!! Have ya'll ever noticed that Capt. Pike says "Make it so" in the
                original pilot ep?? I noticed that a couple of years back when I was watching it.
                Reesa