Re: [Star Trek Books] Another Welcome/Vulcans

    Message 1 of 76 , Mar 6, 2006
      --- Emily <riusha@...> wrote:

      > > I take it you've read the classic novels with a
      > Vulcan
      > > theme them, titles like SPOCK'S WORLD and SAREK
      > etc?
      >
      > *nods* I've read Spock's World and Sarek, plus
      > Vulcan's Heart and
      > Vulcan's Forge. Haven't gotten to Vulcan's Soul
      > yet, but it's on my
      > list. One of my favorite Vulcan-themed novels is The
      > Vulcan Acadamy
      > Murders. I don't know if anyone would call it a
      > classic, but it's a
      > great read for a lazy Saturday afternoon. :)

      Personally I consider anything published before 1995 a
      classic and many of those early books are big
      favorites of mine that I like to reread from time to
      time. Sometimes I'll just find myself in the mood for
      a particular story.

      Love Vulcan Academy Murders and stories like THE IDIC
      Epidemic, Crispin's Yesterday novels, Ishmael etc.
      Margaret Wander Bonanno is the author of my favorite
      trek novel Strangers from the Sky. I actually wore
      out two paperback copies of that rereading it but got
      lucky and found a hardback copy a few years ago in a
      used book store.

      > > For some great insight into Tuvok if you haven't
      > yet
      > > read it I would recommend the Lost Era title THE
      > > SUNDERED by Michael Martin and Andy Mangels.
      >
      > Oh, cool. I haven't been reading the Lost Era
      > novels, so I didn't know
      > there was one with Tuvok. I'll have to check it out
      > when I get a
      > chance.
      >
      > > If there is a public library near your school you
      > > might check and see if they carry Star Trek
      > novels,
      > > many libraries do.
      >
      > I get most of my Trek books at the library,
      > actually. It's just that
      > my library system doesn't have the second Titan
      > book. Or Articles of
      > the Federation which I've been dying to read and may
      > break down and
      > buy soon.
      >
      > My library does have an awesome used book store
      > attached to it,
      > though, and a huge selection of Trek books. I
      > snagged The Lives of Dax
      > for four dollars today. *g*

      I love library sales, they are a great place to
      replace some of my older more worn books with new
      copies and I snap them up when I can find them.

      Does your interest in Vulcan's extend to their cousins
      the Romulans? If it does then you'll definately enjoy
      Margaret Bonanno's writing and Diane Duane's Romulan
      novels if you haven't read them.

      Jackie
    • trevthurlow
      Message 76 of 76 , May 14 5:27 AM
        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, BEVERLY HALL <beverlylhall@...> wrote:

        > I  would like to add the Destiny Trilogy and A Singular Destiny are killer and Full Circle is great if you like Voyager.  Other great Voyager books are the String Theory trilogy, I would also read Homecoming, The Farther Shore and the Spirit Walk duo before Full Circle.  Greg Cox's Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh are really great if you like TOS era work too!  A whole galaxy of thrills and fun - so little time!

        Some of my favorites, and ones that I would recommend, of the Voyager novel line are: The Escape, Ragnarok, Violations, The Murdered Sun, Cybersong, The Garden, Chrysalis, The Black Shore, Echoes, Seven of Nine, Death of A Neutron Star, the Dark Matter Trilogy, Homecoming, The Farther Shore, Spirit Walk Book 1, Spirit Walk Book 2 & Full Circle. You should also check out the novelizations of Caretaker and Flashback. And I would recommend that you read William Shatner's novels "Spectre, Dark Victory & Preserver" that deal with the Mirror Universe (from the TOS episode 'Mirror, Mirror') and the Mirror Universe counterparts of the Voyager crew.

        But from other Trek series I would say:

        Any William Shatner Trek novels
        Reunion (TNG)
        The Entropy Effect (TOS)
        By The Book (Ent)
        Avatar Books 1 & 2 (DS9)
        Worf's First Adventure (TNG SA)
        Line of Fire (TNG SA)
        Survival (TNG SA)
        Being Human (New Frontier)
        Star Trek Titan
        Articles of the Federation
        Warchild (DS9)
        Saratoga (DS9)
        Millenium: The Fall of Terok Nor, The War of the Prophets, Inferno (DS9 trilogy)
        Grounded (TNG)
        Q-In-Law (a TNG classic)
        Masks (TNG)
        The Captain's Honor (TNG)