Voyager

  • d_weinell
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 9, 2005
      Hi Everyone, Has anyone gotten the new Voyager String Theory Book yet
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
        --- d_weinell <d_weinell@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone, Has anyone gotten the new Voyager
        > String Theory Book yet.

        I've read the first one COHESION and enjoyed it very
        much. I have to admit to being surprised that I did
        enjoy it so much because I'm not much of a Voyager
        fan. The story premise is very good and the
        characterizations are wonderful IMO.

        Jackie
      • Ian McFarlane
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
          Yup. I agree with Jackie on this. I was actually incredibly surprised.
          Credit to the author Jeff Lang.

          I have some mild trepidation about the next one in the series (Fusion)
          because it's a brand new author from a Star Trek novel perspective.
          However, we'll just have to see how it goes.

          Everyone has to start somewhere I guess.

          > Hi Everyone, Has anyone gotten the new Voyager
          > String Theory Book yet.

          I've read the first one COHESION and enjoyed it very
          much. I have to admit to being surprised that I did
          enjoy it so much because I'm not much of a Voyager
          fan. The story premise is very good and the
          characterizations are wonderful IMO.

          Fantasy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fantasy+science+fiction&w1=Fantasy+
          science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4
          =Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fi
          ction&c=6&s=173&.sig=EtyUzBleFbEs_d3lq261tw> science fiction
          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+books&w1=Fantasy+sc
          ience+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4=S
          cience+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fict
          ion&c=6&s=173&.sig=rMIUepDl53Gghql0memanw> fiction books
          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+book+club&w1=Fantas
          y+science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&
          w4=Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+
          fiction&c=6&s=173&.sig=GINuxsxCX_lvcwW3qhorTg> fiction book club

          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+magazine&w1=Fantasy
          +science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w
          4=Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+f
          iction&c=6&s=173&.sig=6slFgJQPWdkNBWmovIXB2w> fiction magazine
          Science
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+novel&w1=Fantasy+sc
          ience+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4=S
          cience+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fict
          ion&c=6&s=173&.sig=017KWaoRfoc_Bi4z3bv5Mg> fiction novel
          Writing
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+science+fiction&w1=Fantasy+
          science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4
          =Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fi
          ction&c=6&s=173&.sig=WMu77GyfjRdUsZT4jYYvDA> science fiction

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "startrekbooks
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks> " on the web.

          _____

        • David Weinell

            > Hi Everyone, Has anyone gotten the new Voyager
            > String Theory Book yet.

            I've read the first one COHESION and enjoyed it very
            much. I have to admit to being surprised that I did
            enjoy it so much because I'm not much of a Voyager
            fan. The story premise is very good and the
            characterizations are wonderful IMO.

            Fantasy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fantasy+science+fiction&w1=Fantasy+
            science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4
            =Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fi
            ction&c=6&s=173&.sig=EtyUzBleFbEs_d3lq261tw> science fiction
            Science
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+books&w1=Fantasy+sc
            ience+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4=S
            cience+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fict
            ion&c=6&s=173&.sig=rMIUepDl53Gghql0memanw> fiction books
            Science
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+book+club&w1=Fantas
            y+science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&
            w4=Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+
            fiction&c=6&s=173&.sig=GINuxsxCX_lvcwW3qhorTg> fiction book club

            Science
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+magazine&w1=Fantasy
            +science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w
            4=Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+f
            iction&c=6&s=173&.sig=6slFgJQPWdkNBWmovIXB2w> fiction magazine
            Science
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+novel&w1=Fantasy+sc
            ience+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4=S
            cience+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fict
            ion&c=6&s=173&.sig=017KWaoRfoc_Bi4z3bv5Mg> fiction novel
            Writing
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Writing+science+fiction&w1=Fantasy+
            science+fiction&w2=Science+fiction+books&w3=Science+fiction+book+club&w4
            =Science+fiction+magazine&w5=Science+fiction+novel&w6=Writing+science+fi
            ction&c=6&s=173&.sig=WMu77GyfjRdUsZT4jYYvDA> science fiction

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "startrekbooks
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks> " on the web.

            _____

            Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club Science fiction magazine Science fiction novel Writing science fiction

            Thanks
            David

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
              >I always worry alittle about new authors doing star trek, One book a few years back was extremely good, except that the author had Picard calling Riker, William through out the entire book

              Er, Jeffrey Lang isn't "new." His TREK credits include four prior novels (SECTION 31: ABYSS, IMMORTAL COIL, and THE LEFT HAND OF DESTINY Books 1-2), four short stories (in THE LIVES OF DAX, PROPHECY AND CHANGE, TALES OF THE DOMINION WAR, and DISTANT SHORES), and a comic-book story (in WildStorm's STAR TREK SPECIAL).

              Also, every author was a new author once. *grin*

              DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com
              www.livejournal.com/users/kradical

              "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
              ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"
            • Ian McFarlane
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                I think that I was referring to Kirstin (Kristin?) Beyer who is the
                author of the upcoming "Fusion" segment of the String Theory series.
                *Grin*

                Jeff Lang most certainly has not been new and I kinda like him!

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                  --- Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...> wrote:

                  > I think that I was referring to Kirstin (Kristin?)
                  > Beyer who is the
                  > author of the upcoming "Fusion" segment of the
                  > String Theory series.
                  > *Grin*

                  Ms. Beyer may be new to writing trek, actually I
                  believe this is her first novel, but I'm very
                  optomistic about her installment of the series for
                  several reasons.

                  I know all three authors worked closely together on
                  this trilogy and from conversations with Ms. Beyer at
                  Shore Leave she obviously knows her Voyager stuff
                  inside and out.

                  Also Marco's editing these and he's proven time and
                  again that he's got a real gift for finding new
                  writing talent.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                    >I think that I was referring to Kirstin (Kristin?) Beyer who is the
                    >author of the upcoming "Fusion" segment of the String Theory series.
                    >*Grin*

                    Whoops. Never mind, then. *sheepish grin*

                    DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com
                    www.livejournal.com/users/kradical

                    "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
                    ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"
                  • Ron
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                      to me that's more than just a new ST writer, or even a new writer
                      that's never seen the show, that's an even bigger issue of a bad
                      editor. i'm assuming the book in question was from the "pre-marco"
                      era as i just don't see things like that in the books being published now.

                      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Weinell <d_weinell@y...>

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                        Just for everyone's amusement:

                        STAR TREK novels published since 2001 that were written by first-time TREK novelists:

                        TOOTH AND CLAW (Doranna Durgin)
                        DIPLOMATIC IMPLAUSIBILITY (Keith R.A. DeCandido)
                        ROGUE (Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin)
                        AVATAR Book 1 (S.D. Perry)
                        ABYSS (David Weddle & Jeffrey Lang)
                        IN THE NAME OF HONOR (Dayton Ward)
                        THE BATTLE OF BETAZED (Charlotte Douglas & Susan Kearney)
                        THIS GRAY SPIRIT (Heather Jarman)
                        LESSER EVIL (Robert Simpson)
                        THE NANOTECH WAR (Steven Piziks)
                        SHOCKWAVE (Paul Ruditis)
                        WHAT PRICE HONOR? (David Stern)
                        GEMINI (Mike W. Barr)
                        DO COMETS DREAM? (S.P. Somtow)
                        THE LEFT HAND OF DESTINY Book 1 (J.G. Hertzler)
                        WELL OF SOULS (Ilsa J. Bick)
                        DENY THY FATHER (Jeff Mariotte)
                        A TIME TO SOW (Kevin Dilmore)
                        A TIME TO KILL (David Mack)
                        CARDASSIA: THE LOTUS FLOWER (Una McCormack)
                        EX MACHINA (Christopher L. Bennett)
                        BAJOR: FRAGMENTS AND OMENS (J. Noah Kym)
                        FUSION (Kirsten Beyer)

                        (Some of the above authors had published other TREK fiction first, but in each case, it was their first TREK novel.)

                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                          hmm, so kieth was a star trek writing virgin at some point? hard to
                          believe... :)

                          hey kieth, i have a question. i picked up dragon precinct the other
                          day. and no, i haven't read it yet, i'm in the middle of a neal
                          stephenson book which if you know anything about neal stephenson books
                          you know it will take me a while to finish. anyway, my question is
                          this, the book was autographed, and i'm assuming it's legitimate.
                          were you at a book signing at borderlands in san francisco or did they
                          pick up the book some other way. i'm just curious since looking at
                          your calender most of your events are east coast, which makes sense
                          since you live there.

                          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Keith R.A. DeCandido"

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                            Good idea KRAD! ;->

                            The ones that I couldn't stomach were:
                            Do Comets Dream? (Made no sense)

                            Weird and inconsistent from a characterization perspective
                            GEMINI

                            Tough to read:
                            Well of Souls
                            To this day I still have to finish it.

                            On the whole though the books below were quite good so point is well
                            taken.

                            The Battle of Betazed was particularly good and quite surprising. The
                            writing style reminded me of KRAD's or maybe Mangels/Martin a little. It
                            was dead on in terms of characterization, very fast paced and damned
                            good read. Too bad those writers then faded into the sunset!

                            Best of the lot.Possibly Rogue.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                                Well the good news is I believe I got the last one so they all sold.

                                <krad@i...> wrote:

                                > Borderlands didn't sell all the copies they had at the signing --
                                obviously that was some of the leftover stock that I signed when the
                                autographing was over....

                                > Keith R.A. DeCandido
                                > keith@d...
                                > DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com
                                > www.livejournal.com/users/kradical
                                >
                                > "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
                                > ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

                              • April Payne
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005
                                  I have a question: When did the word nevermind become two words?

                                  april

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2006
                                      Just saw the commercial for the ALL DAY "VOYAGER" MARATHON next week
                                      on Spike TV. I remember a couple years ago when the announced Voyager
                                      was moving to Spike and it seemed so long ago...now its here. Time
                                      sure does fly.
                                    • royboogie
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 12, 2006
                                          It sure does, Roy, it seems like just 30 Yrs. ago I was getting out of high school. Whoops, that was 30 Yrs. ago this past June. This Jan. 25th I'll offically be an antique @ 50 Yrs. old. I wonder if that's younger or older in Vulcan Yrs. ????? Time seems to move @ warp speed(Warp 10+).

                                          B4 I forget, What was the title & author of ST: TOS #97 or the Next Vol. after #96 where they are getting ready to go to war with the Romulans.
                                          TnX.
                                          Don H.

                                          royboogie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                          Just saw the commercial for the ALL DAY "VOYAGER" MARATHON next week
                                          on Spike TV. I remember a couple years ago when the announced Voyager
                                          was moving to Spike and it seemed so long ago...now its here. Time
                                          sure does fly.

                                        • Frances Coleman

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 12, 2006
                                              #97 is Dayton Ward's In the Name of Honor. And, Don, you should know that something isn't an antique until it is 100 years old. For every 2.4 Standard Earth years 1 Vulcan year passes according to something I read ages ago, or thereabouts. A 7 year old Vulcan is actually around 17 Earth years. That certainly would coincide with the book, Vulcan's Forge, which had a seven year old Spock slightly taller than his father already!

                                              At any rate, enjoy this birthday coming up. 50 is a great age to be!

                                              april

                                              don hallenbeck <photoman_flash@...> wrote:
                                              It sure does, Roy, it seems like just 30 Yrs. ago I was getting out of high school. Whoops, that was 30 Yrs. ago this past June. This Jan. 25th I'll offically be an antique @ 50 Yrs. old. I wonder if that's younger or older in Vulcan Yrs. ????? Time seems to move @ warp speed(Warp 10+).

                                              B4 I forget, What was the title & author of ST: TOS #97 or the Next Vol. after #96 where they are getting ready to go to war with the Romulans.
                                              TnX.
                                              Don H.

                                              Visit Your Group

                                              Star trek deep space nine
                                              Star trek enterprise
                                              Star trek game
                                              Star trek ships
                                              Star trek the next generation

                                              Yahoo! News
                                              Adventure Beat
                                              Travel the world
                                              with Richard Bangs

                                              Yahoo! TV
                                              Love TV?
                                              Listings, picks
                                              news and gossip.

                                              Market Online
                                              Drive traffic to
                                              your web site with
                                              Sponsored Search.

                                              .

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 13, 2006
                                                OK, April, Near Antique I should've said. Tnx for the info on the book. Season's Greetings to all in the Group. Hope its happy & safe, no warp drive overloads, no visits from the borg or the Romulans or the Founders bringing coal for your stocking.
                                                In that vein, I wonder how the terrans in Star Fleet would celebrate the comming holidays ?????
                                                Don H.

                                                April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
[...]

                                              • Kathleen Morey
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 14, 2006
                                                  I may be a little late passing on this news, but I saw an ad the "Enterprise" is coming to Sci-Fi channel in January!! Kat

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 14, 2006
                                                    Well, I know Captain James T. Kirk went to a Christmas party, so it's possible not too much will change along that vein. This bit of information comes via the episode, Daggar of the Mind. (Although it may be a good idea to keep Spock away from the Wassail bowl . . .)

                                                    Merry Christmas to you and yours, too!

                                                    april

                                                    P.S. You're only as old as you feel . . .

                                                    don hallenbeck <photoman_flash@...> wrote:
                                                    OK, April, Near Antique I should've said. Tnx for the info on the book. Season's Greetings to all in the Group. Hope its happy & safe, no warp drive overloads, no visits from the borg or the Romulans or the Founders bringing coal for your stocking.
                                                    In that vein, I wonder how the terrans in Star Fleet would celebrate the comming holidays ?????
                                                    Don H.

                                                    Visit Your Group

                                                    Star trek deep space nine
                                                    Star trek enterprise
                                                    Star trek game
                                                    Star trek ships
                                                    Star trek the next generation

                                                    Yahoo! News
                                                    Space News
                                                    Get the latest
                                                    space related news

                                                    Yahoo! TV
                                                    "The 9"
                                                    Daily count down
                                                    of top Web finds.

                                                    Y! GeoCities
                                                    Share Photos
                                                    Put your favorite
                                                    photos online.

                                                    .

                                                    april

                                                    "I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once!"

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 15, 2006
                                                      Yes, Happy Christmaka to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                      Don H.
                                                      P.S. gald I don't drink anything too much stronger than Caffenie free Pepsi, although our local tap water is pretty hard.