Re: [Star Trek Books] Ebook question

  • Geoff Trowbridge
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Phairoh <cmr@p...> wrote:
      > Paypal was created, and is owned by ebay. While some method,
      I'm
      > not aware of may exist, I've never noticed any non-ebay related
      links
      > with Paypal.

      Actually, that's not true. eBay now owns PayPal, but they didn't
      create it. It existed as an independent online payment service long
      before eBay acquired it. (I still remember when it was
      called "X.COM") And tons of online merchants use PayPal as a payment
      portal without having to use eBay to host their storefront.

      Cheers,
      Geoff
    • Staci Hapdock
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
        Thank you so much everyone!

        Geoff Trowbridge <trowbridge@...> wrote:
        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Jackie Bundy <msferengi@y...>
        wrote:

        > I do know the site fictionwise.com
        > http://www.fictionwise.com/
        > does have an alternate payment method in addition to
        > using a credit card but it's not paypal.

        Actually, FictionWise *does* accept PayPal transactions. There's an
        extra step involved--you have to send a PayPal payment to FictionWise
        first so that you have a balance on hand--but otherwise, you're good
        to go.

        http://www.fictionwise.com/help/paypal.htm

        Cheers,
        Geoff

        Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club Science fiction magazine Science fiction novel Writing science fiction

        "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
        Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

      • David Weinell
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2005
          My sister runs her on line business with paypal. Plus the Star Trek xconven tion site uses paypal for on line ticket purchasing. Lots of folks use it.

          Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote:

          --- Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone happen to know of a Trek ebook site that
          > lets you pay with paypal? I prefer the Palm Reader
          > format, but I'll switch if I have to.

          Off the top of my head, no I don't. But that being
          said there are a lot of online retailers who sell
          eBooks and tend to stick with one site. You'll find a
          list in the links section if you'd like to visit a few
          and see.

          I do know the site fictionwise.com
          http://www.fictionwise.com/
          does have an alternate payment method in addition to
          using a credit card but it's not paypal.

          Maybe you could email paypal and ask if any online
          eBook retailers use paypal?

          Fantasy science fiction Science fiction books Science fiction book club Science fiction magazine Science fiction novel Writing science fiction

          Thanks
          David

        • Phairoh
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2005

            Geoff Trowbridge wrote:
            Actually, that's not true. eBay now owns PayPal, but they didn't
            create it. It existed as an independent online payment service long
            before eBay acquired it. (I still remember when it was called
            "X.COM") And tons of online merchants use PayPal as a payment portal
            without having to use eBay to host their storefront.

            Thanks for the correction Geoff.

            Without having spent 4.2 hour of on-line research myself, to
            know this history ( :) ), I was taking someone else's word for it.
            I find what you wrote interesting. I even recall, without any
            details, that I had made 1 purchase not related to ebay through
            Paypal a long time ago.

            I suggested, I think, that she go to Paypal, and look around for
            participants.

            Dave Weinell wrote:
            <My sister runs her on line business with paypal. Plus the Star Trek
            xconven tion site uses paypal for on line ticket purchasing. Lots of
            folks use it.>

            More, and more interesting!

            PAX, :)
            Phairoh