Re: [Star Trek Books] First Book

  • Staci Hapdock
    Message 1 of 27 , May 4, 2005
      I think one of the things I like the most about them is that, although they aren't overly 'intellectual' (mentally taxing) they truly do make me think.

      Jackie Bundy <msferengi@...> wrote:
      Sadly you're right that they
      aren't exactly intellectually taxing, but that's one
      of the reasons I enjoy them, it's a nice light
      diversion and most of the time the stories are at
      least entertaining.

      "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
      Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

    • Glasshouse John
      Message 2 of 27 , May 4, 2005
        In message <20050503165922.36277.qmail@...>, April
        Payne <april_anastasia@...> writes
        >What is it about the TOS ones you don't like? I just have to ask, since I'm
        >primarily a fan of TOS and don't even consider reading any other Trek novels,
        >since I was never too keen on the modern Trek series. So, is it that you just
        >don't prefer that cast and crew or series, or is there something about the way
        >the TOS books are written?

        It is the thought of reading about Kirk, he was the only captain I
        cannot get on with.
        --
        Glasshouse John
      • Glasshouse John
        Message 3 of 27 , May 4, 2005
          In message <20050503175835.93687.qmail@...>, Jackie
          Bundy <msferengi@...> writes

          >Like any kind of literature some of the trek novels
          >are better than others, but the more you read you'll
          >discover which authors you enjoy and which to avoid.
          >
          >Jackie
          Thanks for the info Jackie, I've got two of the lost era ones and one is
          the Riker Story, the other is "The Art of the impossible"
          --
          Glasshouse John
        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 27 , May 4, 2005
            LOL, it does seem you either hate him or love him or love to hate him! Oh, well.

            april

              Message 6 of 27 , May 4, 2005
                I find that rather interesting, considering I've often seen Kirk's compassion displayed in the series. My fear is that you have been exposed to some badly edited versions of TOS, wherein some of the best moments (character development and relationships between characters) often have been the victims of the splicing machine used to edit film, remaining on the cutting room floor! I've had the privelege of seeing TOS from it's first syndicated run in the early 70's when the episodes were lovingly and carefully edited to fit the expanded commercial time allocated in syndicated runs. Now, of course, I own on vhs the entire series, uncut. (I've yet to do a side by side comparison with my new dvds, but I'm told they, too, are uncut.) Some of those lost moments are precious, indeed! Kirk was a highly compassionate man, with deep feelings and convictions. That is what motivated him the few times he waltzed around the Prime Directive; to save a civilization.

                But I am glad at least that you found him in the books, nonetheless, if you could not find him in the series.

                As for Shatner, he's done his meya culpas and such for being a prima donna and stepping on toes. I just find him amusing., He's a man with a huge Ego, lol, and mostly I see him poking fun at himself, these days. And although Kirk is not my most favorite character, (that spot reserved for our resident Vulcan, Mr. Spock) I do love him. I love the dynamics of that crew, in general.

                And now I have waxed long, I fear. Please, do go back to your regularly scheduled discussion. *wink

                april

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 4, 2005
                        --- Glasshouse John > >
                        > >Jackie
                        > Thanks for the info Jackie, I've got two of the lost
                        > era ones and one is
                        > the Riker Story, the other is "The Art of the
                        > impossible"

                        "Art of the Impossible" I thought was really good.
                        Lots of political intrigue and it fills a nice gap in
                        trek history. My favorite novels are the ones that
                        explore the historical gaps, or fill out the
                        backgrounds of the characters.

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 4, 2005
                          --- Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@...> wrote:
                          > If it helps at all, I too am seriously not a fan of
                          > Kirk from anything I've seen. Very much my least
                          > favorite character. But I do very much like the
                          > Kirk of the books. He's got the character and
                          > compassion that I never was able to see on the
                          > screen. The books made me actually like Capt. Kirk,
                          > though I'm still not even remotely a fan of William
                          > Shatner.

                          Various authors characterizations of the characters
                          differ slightly. I know I have a picture in my mind
                          when I read of how I expect a character to act, speak,
                          etc. and it annoys me when the character isn't quite
                          right.

                          I myself don't care for the way Diane Carey
                          characterizes Kirk, but she's a favorite author of
                          many I know. And there are trek books where Kirk
                          isn't promenent in the story, the emphasize is on
                          other characters.

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                              Yeah, and too bad Boston Legal was cancelled. . . that was a good
                              show.

                              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, don hallenbeck
                              <photoman_flash@y...> wrote:
                              > Don't know if you've seen his priceline ads on TV where
                              he "discovers" comparison shopping for the 1st time, but those are
                              boring. Esp the 1 where he squezes a tomato on to some lady.
                              > Don H.
                              >
                              > April Payne <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
                              > I've yet to see those spots. Mostly I catch him on Fox and
                              Friends, lol. Oh, well, nothing says we have to like everybody,
                              right?

                              > april
                              >
                              > Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@y...> wrote:
                              > Some of Shatner's 'I'm really such a patriotic Canadian, really I
                              am' guest spots on things are pretty annoying. Give me almost any
                              of our other actors, any day.

                              > April Payne <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
                              > I find that rather interesting, considering I've often seen Kirk's
                              compassion displayed in the series. My fear is that you have been
                              exposed to some badly edited versions of TOS, wherein some of the
                              best moments (character development and relationships between
                              characters) often have been the victims of the splicing machine used
                              to edit film, remaining on the cutting room floor! I've had the
                              privelege of seeing TOS from it's first syndicated run in the early
                              70's when the episodes were lovingly and carefully edited to fit the
                              expanded commercial time allocated in syndicated runs. Now, of
                              course, I own on vhs the entire series, uncut. (I've yet to do a
                              side by side comparison with my new dvds, but I'm told they, too,
                              are uncut.) Some of those lost moments are precious, indeed! Kirk
                              was a highly compassionate man, with deep feelings and convictions.
                              That is what motivated him the few times he waltzed around the Prime
                              Directive; to save a civilization.

                              > But I am glad at least that you found him in the books,
                              nonetheless, if you could not find him in the series.

                              > As for Shatner, he's done his meya culpas and such for being a
                              prima donna and stepping on toes. I just find him amusing., He's a
                              man with a huge Ego, lol, and mostly I see him poking fun at
                              himself, these days. And although Kirk is not my most favorite
                              character, (that spot reserved for our resident Vulcan, Mr. Spock) I
                              do love him. I love the dynamics of that crew, in general.

                              > And now I have waxed long, I fear. Please, do go back to your
                              regularly scheduled discussion. *wink

                              > april
                              >

                              > Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@y...> wrote:
                              > If it helps at all, I too am seriously not a fan of Kirk from
                              anything I've seen. Very much my least favorite character. But I
                              do very much like the Kirk of the books. He's got the character and
                              compassion that I never was able to see on the screen. The books
                              made me actually like Capt. Kirk, though I'm still not even remotely
                              a fan of William Shatner.

                              Service.

                              > "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what
                              it can be."
                              > Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

                              Service.

                              Service.

                            • bob.greenberger@att.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                                The show was NOT canceled.

                                ABC scheduled a hiatus to sample Grey's Anatomy. The show outperformed BL as a better fit with Desperate Housewives.

                                Boston Legal will be back on the 2005-06 schedule with a 22 episode order plus the 5 unaired episodes from this season. Meaning, wherever it lands on the schedule, we'll have 27 more installments featuring the delightful Denny Crane.
                                --
                                Bob

                                From: "rubbersoul1978" <rubbersoul1978@...>

                              • rubbersoul1978
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                                  Good to know; I had assumed it was cancelled; thanks for the
                                  information.

                                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, bob.greenberger@a... wrote:
                                  > The show was NOT canceled.
                                  >
                                  > ABC scheduled a hiatus to sample Grey's Anatomy. The show
                                  outperformed BL as a better fit with Desperate Housewives.

                                  > Boston Legal will be back on the 2005-06 schedule with a 22
                                  episode order plus the 5 unaired episodes from this season.
                                  Meaning, wherever it lands on the schedule, we'll have 27 more
                                  installments featuring the delightful Denny Crane.
                                  > --
                                  > Bob

                                • April Payne

                                      From: "rubbersoul1978" <rubbersoul1978@...>

                                    • asyle
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 5, 2005
                                        I'm the same way... he was a character that I never
                                        really liked, but after reading some of the books I
                                        see a whole different kirk....a character I sorta like
                                        now....love and hate all at the same time :)

                                        --- Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@...> wrote:
                                        > If it helps at all, I too am seriously not a fan of
                                        > Kirk from anything I've seen. Very much my least
                                        > favorite character. But I do very much like the
                                        > Kirk of the books. He's got the character and
                                        > compassion that I never was able to see on the
                                        > screen. The books made me actually like Capt. Kirk,
                                        > though I'm still not even remotely a fan of William
                                        > Shatner.
                                        >

                                        > It is the thought of reading about Kirk, he was the
                                        > only captain I
                                        > cannot get on with.
                                        > --
                                        > Glasshouse John
                                        >

                                        > "We live as though the world were as it should be,
                                        > to show it what it can be."
                                        > Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

                                        > removed]

                                        Discover Yahoo!
                                        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                                      • rubbersoul1978
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 6, 2005
                                          The one thing I didn't like about Kirk is that he reacted
                                          emotionally to a lot of things that didn't call for it, even though,
                                          according to personality theory he can be classified as making
                                          decisions based on logic and not emotions.

                                          Does anyone here know about the Jungian personality classifications?

                                          And now that we're on the subject of captains, I always had a
                                          problem with Janeway and how she always got involved with other
                                          things except for getting the damn ship home. Stopping at every
                                          planet, especially when there could be trouble, doesn't make sense.
                                          But I guess a show about a ship's quiet voyage through the Delta
                                          Quadrant would be almost boring.

                                          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, asyle <asyle5@y...> wrote:
                                          > I'm the same way... he was a character that I never
                                          > really liked, but after reading some of the books I
                                          > see a whole different kirk....a character I sorta like
                                          > now....love and hate all at the same time :)
                                          >
                                          > --- Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@y...> wrote:
                                          > > If it helps at all, I too am seriously not a fan of
                                          > > Kirk from anything I've seen. Very much my least
                                          > > favorite character. But I do very much like the
                                          > > Kirk of the books. He's got the character and
                                          > > compassion that I never was able to see on the
                                          > > screen. The books made me actually like Capt. Kirk,
                                          > > though I'm still not even remotely a fan of William
                                          > > Shatner.
                                          > >

                                          > > It is the thought of reading about Kirk, he was the
                                          > > only captain I
                                          > > cannot get on with.
                                          > > --
                                          > > Glasshouse John
                                          > >

                                          > > "We live as though the world were as it should be,
                                          > > to show it what it can be."
                                          > > Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

                                          > > removed]
                                          > >

                                          > Discover Yahoo!
                                          > Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check
                                          it out!
                                          > http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                                        • Allyn Gibson
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 6, 2005
                                            On Thursday, May 5, 2005, rubbersoul1978 wrote:

                                            > Good to know; I had assumed it was cancelled; thanks for the
                                            > information.

                                            I'm sure that ABC airing a commercial for an episode with Heather
                                            Locklear and Rupert Everett which has yet to surface (due to Grey's
                                            Anatomy remaining in the slot past its initial four week run) would be
                                            confusing to -many- people. Heck, it's confusing even to me, but I'm
                                            always confused, so there's nothing new there. :)

                                            Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

                                            "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
                                            "I think so, Brain, but was there -ever- an Accordion of Rassilon?"
                                          • Staci Hapdock