Re: [Star Trek Books] "STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE" CANCELLED

  • menes@gothboy.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
      If they had cancelled the show 2 years ago I would have thrown a party.
      Now I'm just bummed. I figured it was over, but to hear it, makes me feel
      terrible. I really thought that Enterprise had developed into a great Trek
      this season. The 3rd Season is my favorite, but the 4th allowed me to enjoy
      it. At least Enterprise looks to be ending on a high note; this season
      rocks! Let's hope future generations come to enjoy Enterprise on DVD & in
      syndication.

      :-0(

      Bald Jason
      http://www.gothboy.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
        I can't say I'm surprised by this news. Some of the
        people I know who work on the production side of the
        show had told me confidentially that they'd received
        their notice that they would not be returning next
        year and they should look elsewhere for work once
        shooting wraps.

        Guess it's finally been made offical :( Just when
        this show was finally starting to get good too.

        Oh well, like the barren years of the 70's and early
        80's there will still be the novels to enjoy.

        Jackie
      • matthew gerwing
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          Dang it. The show was really coming into it's prime; this season was turning out so well.
          Is there any possibility that another channle will pick it up?

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- matthew gerwing <3hk@...> wrote:

            > Dang it. The show was really coming into it's prime;
            > this season was turning out so well.
            > Is there any possibility that another channle will
            > pick it up?

            Paramount owns the rights so that's up to the suits to
            wrangle over.

            Fan campaigns are already underway to try to nudge
            things in that direction though. Check out the
            details here:

            http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_06.shtml

            Jackie
          • Ian McFarlane
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2005
              I'd have to say that I'm disappointed by the news as well but it appears
              that this was coming for awhile based on the rumors out there. I will
              most definitely miss it. I started off loathing the idea of a prequel
              and I've loved every single season, with each one getting better than
              the last. My only issue was the change they made to the theme song tempo
              in season 3. ;->

              All in all, I'd have to say that the franchise has lasted longer than
              most. Many shows that I've loved on the main networks got cancelled
              after like 1 season. (Anyone remembers Max Bickford on CBS or Murder one
              from ABC? And what about Angel and Firefly?). Enterprise actually still
              lasted longer than TOS. If TOS had gone on for 4 seasons, who knows how
              the mythos could have changed? 4 seasons is a good run from a network
              perspective. Heck, they are even allowing the season to conclude its
              natural run! If Enterprise had gone on 7 seasons, I personally would
              have recommended that the franchise take a rest so that it could come
              back in later years with a fresh perspective. The worst thing that can
              ever happen to an ending series is that it goes out on a sour note. If
              the suits see fit to cancel it then at least it should go out with a
              bang.

              In any case we have something like 18 years of the post TOS TV shows
              under the belt and tons of books and such. There is a chance for another
              feature film although one can only pray that they don't muck it up like
              they did with the TNG ones.

              I have every faith that Trek will return in some form or the other.it
              will probably be called something like "3rd gen" Trek. ;-> In the
              meantime, there are still opportunities for new and existing Sci Fi to
              blossom (BattleStar Galactica and the SG shows and the upcoming return
              of "The 4400s" will have to be my main fix for now).

              P.S. My only regret is that crappy stuff like "The Bachelor" and "The
              Bachelorette" are leaching away audiences from good dramas. Crappy
              Reality T.V. and CSI Miami/Law and Order clones are what's the problem
              with T.V. today. (However, I will confess to liking The Apprentice. ;->)

              > Dang it. The show was really coming into it's prime;
              > this season was turning out so well.
              > Is there any possibility that another channle will
              > pick it up?

              Paramount owns the rights so that's up to the suits to
              wrangle over.

              Fan campaigns are already underway to try to nudge
              things in that direction though. Check out the
              details here:

              http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_06.shtml

              Jackie

              _____