Re: [Star Trek Books] S.C.E. news

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

      > I also hope to have some more news in the coming
      > weeks and months,
      > including #60 and the special plans for #61-64. :)

      Ooohh, special plans--looking forward to what that
      could be.

      Jackie
    • Gwen Riechmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2005
        Greetings

        I just joined a few days ago.

        I first got to reading the Star Trek novels with one of the Voyager books. I then went back and slowly began gathering the Voyager series. I've read the first 15 or so, but got sidetracked with the series such as Section 31, Gateways, Day of Honor, etc. I bought the Time to... series over the holidays, but the store didn't have book 1 (A Time to be Born (?) I think). I've since got it from Amazon.com so can start the series. I finally found book 2 of the Captain's Table series, so now can start that series. However, as soon as I finish the current book I'm reading (sorry guys, it's not a ST one, LOL), I'll be reading Part 2 of STV Spirit Walk, and then will start the A Time to... series.

        I'm not a big fan of the novels dealing with the original ST crew, unless it's part of a cross-over series like Section 31, etc. I prefer ST Voyager and STNG books. STDS9 are ok. I missed the last few seasons of the TV series, so have difficulty with the storylines. I'm trying to catch it now on Spike TV. I'm enjoying the Voyager books that are after their return, but wish they'd not pack so many storylines into one novel.

        I'd not mind reading the entire STNG and STDS9 series, as well as Enterprise, but finances have to draw a line somewhere. Are there any really outstanding books from either series that are must reads? I've found most of the older books eventually show up on eBAY if your patient.

        I was glad to find the group. I actually had questions, but my darn fibro fog has left me in the dark as to what they were. *sigh* I'm sure I'll eventually remember them.

        Thanks for letting me join.

        Gwen
        aka Miracle2B

        We have picked up several new members over the past
        few days. I'd like to welcome all our newbies and I
        apologize if I've missed anyone:

        miracle2b

        I hope you will each pull up a keyboard and make
        yourselves at home. Perhaps you would like to tell us
        a bit about what types of stories you like to read
        when you've got a chance.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hi, Ms. Riechmann,
          Just a suggestion, try your local public library for other ST Novels. if they don't have them, give them title, author , Publication date(if not 2004) & if possible the ISBN no. & they might be able to get them from another library on interlibrary loan. I'll give you an example from the databases SCE book list:
          S.C.E. Book Three: Some Assambly Required Ebooks 5-8 April 2003 Greg Brodeur ISBN 07434644727
          The Data Base doesn't actually give the author of the collected stories or the ISBN ( I had to get those from Amazon.com). But for the E-Books you have the author. I do the Hard copy rather than the E-book as 1. I don't have the $$$ for E-Books & 2. Don't own a puter with wich to read them on, & 3. Like Adm./Capt. Kirk I prefer the feel of the Hard copy even though it cost a tree its life. On the flip side of that, if the book ever falls apart to the point where it's no longer useful, it can bee recycled.
          Again, Welcome aboard.
          Don Hallenbeck

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- Gwen Riechmann <miracle2b@...> wrote:

            > Greetings
            >
            > I just joined a few days ago.

            Glad you found us!

            > I first got to reading the Star Trek novels with one
            > of the Voyager books. I then went back and slowly
            > began gathering the Voyager series.

            > I'm not a big fan of the novels dealing with the
            > original ST crew, unless it's part of a cross-over
            > series like Section 31, etc. I prefer ST Voyager and
            > STNG books. STDS9 are ok. I missed the last few
            > seasons of the TV series, so have difficulty with
            > the storylines.

            When you get caught up with DS9 the books will still
            be there.

            I'm enjoying the Voyager books that are after
            > their return, but wish they'd not pack so many
            > storylines into one novel.

            That's one of the problems I have with the post-finale
            Voyager novels too.

            > I'd not mind reading the entire STNG and STDS9
            > series, as well as Enterprise, but finances have to
            > draw a line somewhere.

            You might also check your local library, many carry
            Star Trek novels. So do a lot of used book stores.

            Are there any really
            > outstanding books from either series that are must
            > reads? I've found most of the older books eventually
            > show up on eBAY if your patient.

            FWIW here's a few of my favorites Voyager and Next Gen
            novels:

            Voyager- MOSAIC and PATHWAYS by Jery Taylor

            TNG-
            Vendetta by Peter David (well pretty much anything by
            this author to be honest)
            Immortail Coil by Jeffrey Lang
            The Q Continuum trilogy by Greg Cox

            There's also a great crossover duology called "Dark
            Passions" by Susan Wright that's a fun read. It
            features Voyager and TNG mirror universe characters.

            Also in the files section of the group, members can
            post books they've got to sell or trade you might
            check that out for some good bargains.