Spirit Walk: Enemy of my Enemy

  • Tracy Stegers
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 18, 2004
      Has anyone finished reading this book yet??

      I just finished, and I loved it!!

      I wonder when the next Voyager book is coming out...

      Tracy Stegers
      aka: Jadzia Jaxx

    • youngtrek@alltel.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 2, 2005
        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
        <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
        > Again, Valeris was like a daughter to Spock. Listen to what he
        tells her when they both drink the decoction in that giant glass
        rose cup, "I take you to replace me." Children replace their
        parents on this earth, not so with a spouse . . . and yeah, the
        powers that be did contemplate a romantic undercurrent between Spock
        and Valeris, but they decided against it since she was so vile and
        cunning in her betrayal. Spock, after all, would never hook up with
        someone so very bad, lol.

        > april

        Ok, I'm a bit confused. Now you're talking about Valeris, when we
        were talking about Saavik.

        My comment about the Star Trek VI thing was me trying to express
        that I see a lot more credibility (based on what we saw in STAR TREK
        III) for an eventual romantic connection between Spock and Saavik
        than I can for the development in the early drafts of STAR TREK VI
        which would have had *Saavik* as the traitor (not Valeris, who was
        created when Kirstie Alley declined to participate and Kim Cattrall
        decided that she did not want to be the third actress to play the
        character of Saavik).

        Some of us have discussed it before here, the Saavik as traitor
        thing. One argument used is that director Nic Meyer created the
        character of Saavik (in STAR TREK II), so he should have been able
        to make her the traitor in STAR TREK VI. That really doesn't wash
        with me, however, because whomever is coming up with the story (the
        character's creator or not) they need to present a credible reason
        for the character to take such a drastic turn. Something consistent
        with what we'd seen before. I might be wrong, but as far as I'm
        aware the early script did not really give us much more than what
        was ultimately seen with Valeris in terms of "Saavik's" motivations
        for trying to sabotage the peace process. (Telling Kirk, "they
        killed your son" isn't enough in my mind.)

        It would have taken a lot more than that to have convinced me, and
        even it they had it still would have colored my enjoyment of stories
        featuring Saavik from then on out, so I'm glad that things didn't
        work out and they decided to go with Valeris instead. (Face it,
        that scene where Spock has to perform a forced mindmeld on Valeris
        is uncomfortable enough. How much worse would it have been for fans
        of the Saavik character to have had to have seen Spock forced to
        perform it on her instead.)

        ***********
        David Young
        Cleveland, GA
        * Currently Reading: Daedalus's Children ("Star Trek: Enterprise"
        novel)
        * Just Read: Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code
        (What else? Check out my homepage,
        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8939/index.html) :)

        > youngtrek@a... wrote:
        > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
        > <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
        > > Sorry, I just don't see it happening. She was more like a
        > daughter to him . . . tremedous ick factor going on here, lol.
        And