Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: ENTERPRISE

  • Staci Hapdock
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
      According to startrek.com, the first of the three-parter airs Nov. 19.

      "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
      Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
        I heard that rumor about T'Pol meant to be T'Pau originally. Glad somebody stopped them!

        april

        Jerry L Seward <Jerry457@...> wrote:
        April--

        I have no worries about the Vulcan arc. After all, Judith and
        Garfield Reeves-Stevens will be involved. Just be glad that Berman and
        Braga didn't go through with their plan for the show back in the
        beginning - T'Pol was originally supposed to have been T'Pau.

        Again, aside from the novels, I've never been as excited about
        STAR TREK on television as I have been this season. This is TREK's
        "season of hope." Bring it on, Manny!

        Jerry

        --

        On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:44:35 -0800 (PST) April Payne
        <april_anastasia@...> writes:
        I know who T'Pau is --- Kirk described her as all of Vulcan rolled into
        one! She wasn't merely an older lady she was Vulcan's High Councilor!
        And it is rumored she is the Matriarch of Spock's family, but nothing
        definitive (canon) has stated it. I'm just stunned to think they are
        bringing her into this series. Hope they do right by her, since so far
        I'm unimpressed with their efforts.

        april

        Taurik <taurik@...> wrote:
        You know, the '80s one-hit-wonder group that did "Heart and Soul"? ;-)

        But seriously, T'Pau was the older lady from the episode "Amok Time"
        who was the head of Spock's house IIRC.

        On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:17:25 -0800 (PST), April Payne
        <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

        > T'Pau?
        >
        > april

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
          Thank you. I've been rather invested in Joan of Arcadia . . . it will be difficult but I might tune into Enterprise, just to have another looksie.

          april

          Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@...> wrote:
          According to startrek.com, the first of the three-parter airs Nov. 19.

          "We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."
          Angel, 'Deep Down' 6/1

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Dierna Raph's Girl Soul
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 3, 2004
            Yep!!! Archer gets a visit from Surak! T'Pau and T'Les
            are apperantly members of a movement to get back to
            the ways of Surak's teachings..A movement that's
            apperantly hiding in the Forge!

            Dierna "Raph's Girl" Soul*who counts Vulcan's Forge as
            one of her fave Vulcan books*

            Triceraton: "Professor...we've been looking for you!"
            Fugitoid:"Im glad you found me! It saved me quite a
            walk!"

            Worlds Colide pt 1
            FBTMNT Season 3
            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Ian McFarlane
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
              What would have been wrong with T'Pau having been on ENTERPISE as first
              officer?

              <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

              > T'Pau?
              >
              > april

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129onndu7/M=313392.5504507.6581203.5263583/
              D=groups/S=1705983607:HM/EXP=1099612303/A=2392336/R=1/SIG=12anumunl/*htt
              p:/adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4708-23951-1039-8?mpt=1099525903626214>

              Zooba, Latest Hardcover Bestsellers - Always Free Shipping
              <http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/bn/4708-23951-1039-8?mpt=109952590362621
              4>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313392.5504507.6581203.5263583/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2392336/rand=618184067>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • April Payne

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Look at the woman --- does she even remotely strike you as one who would join the Star service? She's a dignitary, who doesn't seem too keen on outworlders getting too close, for one. She also turned down a seat on the Federation Council. That speaks volumes. She's more interested in Vulcan and preserving their Ways, from all appearances. One can almost get the impression she merely tolerates the Federation as a necessary evil, lol. It just doesn't seem in her character to have pulled a stint in the para-military, her sights were higher. I could be wrong, but those are my impressions of her.

                  april

                  Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...> wrote:
                  What would have been wrong with T'Pau having been on ENTERPISE as first
                  officer?

                • Jerry L Seward
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                    They're adhering to continuity with Surak. Archer will see Surak in a
                    vision.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                      Surak lived like 10 Thousand years ago or something.
                      In the 2nd ep of the 3 pt arc Archer gets a vision of
                      Surak somehow.

                      Apperantly at this point in time the Vulcans don't
                      know about the exodus the ancient Romulas took in
                      Surak's time. But they find a tablet that's Surak's
                      bio or something. There's a Romulan(there'll be
                      another arc about that!!) tho who wants the
                      reunification process tho. And we know from TNG how
                      that's going. :P

                      Dierna "Raph's Girl" Soul

                    • youngtrek@alltel.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
                        <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
                        > I heard that rumor about T'Pol meant to be T'Pau originally. Glad
                        somebody stopped them!

                        > april

                        My biggest "oh my god, I'm glad they didn't go through with *that*"
                        moment was when I heard about their original plan of using Saavik as
                        the traitor on STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. I really
                        wouldn't have like that. Thank goodness Kirstie Alley was
                        uninterested in returning, so they created Valeris instead.

                        To me, it would have been kind of like how they made the Peter
                        Graves character in "Mission: Impossible" the bad guy in the movie
                        version, and it probably would have bugged me whenever I read Saavik
                        in anything from then on out.

                        (Second biggest "oh my god, I'm glad they didn't go through with
                        *that*" moment IMO has to be the whole Eddie Murphy in STAR TREK IV:
                        THE VOYAGE HOME idea.) :)

                        ***********
                        David Young
                        Cleveland, GA
                        * Currently Reading:
                        * Just Read: JLA/Avengers: The Collector's Edition
                        (What else? Check out my homepage,
                        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8939/index.html) :)
                      • Jerry L Seward
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                          Actually, Kim Cattrall was going to play Saavik but thought it
                          was really ridiculous to have the same character played by three
                          different actresses, so she asked that the character be a completely new
                          one. The writers agreed and came up with the name "Eris" and Cattrall
                          suggested "Valeris" to sound more Vulcan.

                          While I like the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movies, I don't accept that
                          the character that Jon Voight played was the same Jim Phelps from the TV
                          series. For me personally, the guy just had the same name but there was
                          no way that was the same character. I'm as much of a fan of the original
                          M:I series as I am of TREK.

                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                            I don't know. I think that she could have been written in a way wherein
                            she could have been your every day run of the mill Vulcan fleet officer
                            until some event in her life caused her to change philosophies.

                            I think that I would have enjoyed that particular character linkage
                            between Enterprise and TOS.

                            Still, the way that they plan on introducing here in Enterprise is also
                            perfectly fine.

                            Look at the woman --- does she even remotely strike you as one who would
                            join the Star service? She's a dignitary, who doesn't seem too keen on
                            outworlders getting too close, for one. She also turned down a seat on
                            the Federation Council. That speaks volumes. She's more interested in
                            Vulcan and preserving their Ways, from all appearances. One can almost
                            get the impression she merely tolerates the Federation as a necessary
                            evil, lol. It just doesn't seem in her character to have pulled a stint
                            in the para-military, her sights were higher. I could be wrong, but
                            those are my impressions of her.

                            april

                            Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...> wrote:
                            What would have been wrong with T'Pau having been on ENTERPISE as first
                            officer?

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f59ihb/M=313395.5504513.6581208.5263583/
                            D=groups/S=1705983607:HM/EXP=1099671457/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12abc9nk9/*htt
                            p:/adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1099585057664533>

                            Click Here
                            <http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/bn/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=109958505766453
                            3>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5504513.6581208.5263583/D=group
                            s/S=:HM/A=2393704/rand=417019831>

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Allyn Gibson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                              On Thursday, November 4, 2004, Jerry wrote:

                              > Actually, Kim Cattrall was going to play Saavik but thought it
                              > was really ridiculous to have the same character played by three
                              > different actresses, so she asked that the character be a
                              > completely new one.

                              When Cattrall was cast Nick Meyer knew the character wouldn't be
                              Saavik--the script she was given had Saavik in place of Valeris but
                              Kirstie Alley had passed on appearing in the film.

                              I wish Alley -had- accepted the role--the revelation that Saavik had
                              committed treason against the Federation would have been a great
                              moment.

                              Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

                              If you play straight with me you'll find me a considerate employer.
                              But cross me and you'll soon discover that under this playful,
                              boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac.
                              -- Lord Edmund Blackadder, 1661
                            • Allyn Gibson
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                                On Thursday, November 4, 2004, April wrote:

                                > They changed Saavik to Valeris in Star Trek VI because they didn't
                                > wish to corrupt the Saavik character after all.

                                Gene Roddenberry requested that Nick Meyer not portray Saavik as a
                                traitor, but Meyer wasn't bound by that. Meyer, not Roddenberry,
                                created the character, and Roddenberry was merely a consultant on Star
                                Trek VI (as he had been on every film since Star Trek II). Meyer
                                was not bound to follow his advice, and he didn't. Had Kirstie Alley
                                decided to return to Trek after ten years, Saavik, not Valeris, would
                                have been the traitor aboard the Enterprise-A.

                                > Don't you mean Robin Curtis? Or are you suggesting they tried to
                                > woo Kirstie Alley back, even though she bowed out after the first
                                > venture?

                                Suggesting they tried? They -did- try. Nick Meyer offered the role
                                to Kirstie Alley. It's well documented. He did not, however, offer
                                the role to Robin Curtis, though I have never heard a reason.

                                Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

                                Spring is a time for fresh starts and blooming, a season when even
                                the pessimist is tempted to dream of what might be. For Cubs fans,
                                April is the month that brings with it the blessed guarantee that
                                their team will be at least tied for first place at least one day
                                (Opening Day).
                                -- Thomas D. Senor, "Should Cubs Fans Be Committed?"
                              • April Payne
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                                  Uh, Kirstie Alley didn't come back as Saavik in Star Trek III. Robin Curtis played her in both III & IV. They changed Saavik to Valeris in Star Trek VI because they didn't wish to corrupt the Saavik character after all.

                                  april

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004
                                    I read an article in which Kim Cattrall stated she was given free reign to name the character on her own. Either way, neither of the names given sounds very Vulcan to me.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 4, 2004

                                      Allyn Gibson <allyn@...> wrote:
                                      On Thursday, November 4, 2004, Jerry wrote:

                                      > Actually, Kim Cattrall was going to play Saavik but thought it
                                      > was really ridiculous to have the same character played by three
                                      > different actresses, so she asked that the character be a
                                      > completely new one.

                                      When Cattrall was cast Nick Meyer knew the character wouldn't be
                                      Saavik--the script she was given had Saavik in place of Valeris but
                                      Kirstie Alley had passed on appearing in the film.

                                      I wish Alley -had- accepted the role--the revelation that Saavik had
                                      committed treason against the Federation would have been a great
                                      moment.

                                      Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net/

                                      If you play straight with me you'll find me a considerate employer.
                                      But cross me and you'll soon discover that under this playful,
                                      boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac.
                                      -- Lord Edmund Blackadder, 1661

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Kathleen Morey

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 5, 2004
                                              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Allyn Gibson <allyn@a...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > I wish Alley -had- accepted the role--the revelation that Saavik
                                              had
                                              > committed treason against the Federation would have been a great
                                              > moment.

                                              And I think it'd be a terrible move, but to each his own. A lot of
                                              people really like the Saavik character, and to have her be the
                                              traitor just for shock value would have felt like a betrayal to them
                                              (and would have limited her use in the novels).

                                              Heck, Kirk obviously had much more of an issue with prejudice
                                              against Klingons (on screen) than Saavik ever did, so they might as
                                              well have made *Kirk* the traitor. Would have made more sense than
                                              Saavik. After all, the only thing viewers of the movies knew was
                                              that Saavik was very close to Spock (a protege of his) in STII, was
                                              on a disastrous mission to the Genesis Planet (and helped child
                                              Spock through pon farr) in STIII, and then made a brief cameo
                                              (choosing to remain on Vulcan) in STIV. To make it believable, they
                                              would have had to have a *lot* more stuff in the script describing
                                              her motives than they did with Valeris, IMO (and even then, I most
                                              likely wouldn't have liked it).

                                              ***********
                                              David Young
                                              Cleveland, GA
                                              * Currently Reading:
                                              * Just Read: JLA/Avengers: The Collector's Edition
                                              (What else? Check out my homepage,
                                              http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8939/index.html) :)
                                            • Bryna Campbell
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 6, 2004
                                                Oh yes, Vulcan's have emotions. They're just better at hiding them than
                                                everyone else! ;-)

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 7, 2004
                                                  Well, in all fairness, sometimes Spock slips up. Remember how he crushed the glass in "Plato's Stepchildren"? So, really, it wasn't a breach of character when he slapped the phaser out of Valeris' hand in Star Trek VI. You just don't want to make him mad . . . lol.

                                                  april