Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: LA Area fans--Trek Authors at Doohan Con

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hey, I was nine in 1964 and I remember watching the show in B & W, but then again, we didn't get our first color TV until I was in Junior High. What a thrill that was to watch the Wizard of Oz in color for the very first time, but I digress . . . Thanks for clarifying that you meant James Doohan. Thought so, just had an edge of doubt. I'll have to find a cable station that plays Betwitched and see if I can catch him in action, lol. I've had success seeing DeForrest Kelly in another favorite of mine, Bonanza. He played a doctor . . .go figure, lol. I've also seen him in an episode of Perry Mason. It's fun to catch these actors in other roles. And of course, there are the episodes of Columbo in which both Nimoy and Shatner had roles. I think Shatner did two and Nimoy did one . . . and I was already a fan of Mission: Impossible when Nimoy joined the cast . . . he's my favorite of the Trek cast so I was a happy camper. :D

      April

      Irene Brabson <reaness46@...> wrote:
      Hi April,

      I meant he play a one time character on Bewitched. I
      can't tell you much about the episode all I remember
      that he was on near the end of this particular
      episode. I believe he played a warlock and he was with
      his wife (Who was a witch and they were at Samatha and
      Darrens house to pick up their Warlock son. That
      Samatha was baby sitting. This was a black and white
      episode, Tabitha, was not born yet. This episode was
      way back in 1964. I was 10 years old. It's been a long
      time since I seen it, so I could be wrong on some
      details, but I do remember seeing this episode back
      them

      irene
      --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

      > Hi Irene,
      >
      > I used to watch that show faithfully but from your
      > post it's not entirely clear to whom you were
      > referring. Are you saying James Doohan played a
      > minor roll in one episode of Bewitched? I'll have
      > to find a channel that's got it on syndication and
      > see if I can find it, lol. I certainly had no way
      > of recognizing him first-run and don't recall seeing
      > said episode in the syndication runs years ago, but
      > then, it has been a very long time since I've
      > watched the show. Thanks for the head's up.
      >
      > April
      >

      > Irene Brabson <reaness46@...> wrote:
      > I don't know how many of you remember this, but back
      > in 1964. He had a small part in a Bewiched episode,
      > where he played a warlock.
      >
      > Irene
      > --- Judy Dague <intergalacticbookworm@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I really wanted to be there, but couldn't afford
      > it
      > > as I am already
      > > committed to visiting a friend in Cleveland and
      > the
      > > annual Doctor
      > > Who convention here in Chicago. I have always
      > liked
      > > James's Scotty.
      > > Did he ever appeared in anything outside of Trek?
      > >
      > > Judy, Moderator
      > > Star Trek Reading Group

      > removed]

    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hey, thanks Staci! I'll try to watch for it.

        April

        Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@...> wrote:
        According to IMDB:

        "Bewitched" (1964) playing "Walter Brocken" in episode: "A Strange Little Visitor" (episode # 2.12) 2 December 1965

        Irene Brabson <reaness46@...> wrote:
        I meant he play a one time character on Bewitched. I
        can't tell you much about the episode all I remember
        that he was on near the end of this particular
        episode.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hey, cool. We don't have little kids in the house anymore, so I don't normally tune in to Nick at night, lol. Thanks for the heads-up.

          April

          don hallenbeck <photoman_flash@...> wrote:
          April, I looked him up doing a Yahoo search & yes he did have a minor role on Bewitched. If you get Nick At Night's TV Land, they run Bewitched every once in awhile. I think it ran last fall.
          Don H.

          wrote:

          > I really wanted to be there, but couldn't afford it
          > as I am already
          > committed to visiting a friend in Cleveland and the
          > annual Doctor
          > Who convention here in Chicago. I have always liked
          > James's Scotty.
          > Did he ever appeared in anything outside of Trek?
          >
          > Judy, Moderator
          > Star Trek Reading Group

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Staci Hapdock

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
              I'm afraid I have no clue what that is, lol! IMDB?

              April

              whose universal translator is often out of whack *wink

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Well April you top me. We didn't get our first color
                    TV until I was 18 years old and I'm the one that
                    bought it, with my job. It was my first job a
                    dishwasher job. I made $35.00 dollars a week. This was
                    back in 1972. It took me quite a while to pay for that
                    TV lol

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 2, 2004
                      Yeah thanks Staci, I wasn't sure of the title of the
                      eposide

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 3, 2004
                        If we're going to play that game. I think I got you both beat. My family didn't get our 1st color set until after my Dad passed away & the old B&W TV failed & couldn't be easily repaired. I think I was in High School @ the time. & for Graduation my aunts bought me a color portable TV to replace my old B&W set that I got when I was in the Hospital in 1969 for my back operation. I have 2 TV's now & they're both on the fritz, the big one on auto color is just as green as grass, & the one in my bedroom turns itself back on partially after you turn it off(Video only at abt less than 1/2 power). No Credits to get either fixed right now or to replace either 1, so I catch ST when I can over the Main Bldg of my Apt. complex.
                        Don H.

                      • April Payne

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 3, 2004
                            My mom's parent's didn't buy their first tv until my mom was either
                            a junoir or a senior in teacher's college, which would be around
                            1955. Judy

                            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, don hallenbeck

                            Service.

                          • April Payne

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 4, 2004
                                  Well Don it sounds like you have us beat LOL

                                  Irene

                                  === message truncated ===

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 4, 2004
                                    Yes April, you are right. It did mean a lot

                                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                  • youngtrek@alltel.net
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5, 2004
                                      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
                                      <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
                                      > Ah, 1955 . . . it was a very good year, you know. Not only
                                      because they opened the doors of Disneyland for the very first
                                      time . . . but you all got me, too. *wink

                                      > April

                                      That's interesting. We have something in common then, sort of.
                                      Disney World opened its doors the same year I came into the world
                                      (1972). My family practice for many years was to visit the park on
                                      my birthday (especially the "big" ones: 10, 15, etc.) since they
                                      were making such a big deal about "my" birthday too! ;)

                                      (Last time I went was a minor bummer. Instead of celebrating "my"
                                      birthday, they were celebrating Walt Disney's 100th birthday
                                      instead.)

                                      ***********
                                      David Young
                                      Cleveland, GA
                                      * Currently Reading: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds VI and VII
                                      ("Enterprise" stories)
                                      * Just Read: Tales to Astonish: Excelsior!: The Amazing Life of Stan
                                      Lee
                                      (What else? Check out my homepage,
                                      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8939/index.html) :)
                                    • April Payne

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 6, 2004
                                          Hey April, I beat you by one year. I came into this
                                          world in 1954

                                          Irene