Re: [Star Trek Books] RE: Diane Carey (was: Welcome)

  • Tracy Stegers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      First Frontier, I wonder if I have that one....
      I'll have to go look.

      Tracy Stegers
      aka: Jadzia Jaxx

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        Diane Carey puts so much detail into her books (detail is usually good, in
        MINUTE amounts) that it's hard to waddle through. Honestly, the only books I've
        ever really liked, and REMEMBERED the story was First Frontier. Juarassic
        Trek indeed. Ok, so the book was a bit hard to get through, but the concepts
        presented were very interesting.

        ~Tiger

      • swtiger86@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
          Kevin, I will give you this, not all of her books are bad, or hard to get
          through. It's just that for me, some of them are. Although, I love First/Final
          Frontier, and Best Destiny.

          ~Tiger

          In a message dated 7/2/2004 5:19:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          kvaadk@... writes:

          > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
          > <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
          > >I, too, am very passionate about TOS and care not a wit about the
          > others. SHHH, I know that is pure blasphemy! But hey, I must be
          > true to myself. She sounds like my type of gal, actually. I'll have
          > to take out one of her books and give it a spin.
          > >
          > >April
          > >
          > Okay, I for one am a Diane Carey fan. I coresponded with her years
          > ago and she's always been supportive of begining writers and treated
          > fans with questions with respect. (Thinking back, I recall telling
          > her the story of taking my youngest daughter's kindergarten class
          > aboard a bark. My youngest is now entering high school. I'm sure she
          > remembers the story, though.)
          >
          > Final Frontier is an excellent place to start. Also First Frontier.
          > (There is no Middle Frontier, many have asked.) I also enjoyed the
          > teenaged Kirk one -- the title escapes me at the moment. (I'm old and
          > far from my library.)
          >
          > Be aware that the TOS novels Battle Stations and Dreadnaught are the
          > two often accused of being "Mary Sue" stories. They do not introduce
          > a new character who saves the day, as is sometimes charged. The are
          > written in the first person from the perspective of an ensign who
          > witnesses Kirk saving the day; a redshirt who survives to tell the
          > tale as it were.
          >
          > Her first TNG outing, Ghost Ship, was written from the
          > scriptwriters' "bible" before the show ever aired. It's a good story,
          > but none of the characters behaves the way the actors' portrayed them
          > over the seven year run. There's also a TNG book the name of which
          > I've forgotten, (See note on age and libraries above.) centering on
          > Picard and Alexander which I recall enjoying.
          >
          > Fireship, a Voyager book, is a good read. Which, actually, I'd say
          > about all her other titles as well.
          >
          > From what I've seen of the other posts here, you're likely to get
          > distenting opinions on most of my observations. Nature of the beast.
          >
          > -- KeVin

        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
            I think it depends on the details, personally. If one gets caught up in the telling and it moves the story along, yay for the details. The notion of cube chess was interesting enough, but not enough to carry an entire chapter. Something more pertinent needed to be going on during said chess game, wherein we learned something of the upcoming plot,let's say and not just that McCoy could actually stategize enough to dethrone Spock's king, lol. I'll never play cube chess. I didn't need all those details, it was just so much filler, in my not so humble opinion.

            April

            swtiger86@... wrote:
            Diane Carey puts so much detail into her books (detail is usually good, in
            MINUTE amounts) that it's hard to waddle through. Honestly, the only books I've
            ever really liked, and REMEMBERED the story was First Frontier. Juarassic
            Trek indeed. Ok, so the book was a bit hard to get through, but the concepts
            presented were very interesting.

            ~Tiger

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT