Re: Book Preservation

  • spaci1701
    Message 1 of 3926 , Jan 17, 2001
      I also end up replacing books as they wear out. I
      find that my biggest problem is the spines. Because
      they were mass produced the glue isn't the greatest,
      and worst of all, that kind of glue can be hard on
      the paper as well. If your books are falling apart
      and you can't replace them quite yet, use some clear
      packing tape to hold them together. It's what the
      libraries use, and though it doesn't look great, it can
      keep them readable a lot longer. I took a course which
      included a section on book preservation, and we were told
      that there isn't really much you can do. It is helpful
      if you keep your books in a dry, warm area away from
      direct sunlight. If you're interested in having books to
      pass on to people later I would suggest trying to find
      some copies in good condition and sealing them away in
      acid-free plastic. But don't store them in your garage or
      basement! I'm sure we all know about moldy, musty books! :)
      Hope this helps a bit.
      Message 3926 of 3926 , Jul 17 8:07 AM