Re: Book Preservation

  • MsFerengi
    Message 1 of 3926 , Jan 17, 2001
      I know exactly what you mean. It's just exposure
      to air that does it. I don't know much about book
      preservation but I was told by the old gentleman at the used
      book store I frequent that older paperbacks can be
      kept in ziplock bags to keep the pages from become
      discolored and brittle.<br><br>That's something I haven't
      done yet myself, because it makes storing them more
      difficult for me. What I have been doing though is
      replacing mine that are in the worst shape. I made of list
      of the oldest titles that are in bad shape. Whenever
      I'm at the used bookstore if I run into a copy of
      that title in better shape than mine, I pick it up.
      I've replaced several of my favorites this way. When a
      handful of titles were rereleased last year, I bit the
      bullet and bought new copies. When I weighed the expense
      against many more years of being able to pick up and read
      "Yesterday's Son" when I'm in the mood, it is well worth it to
      me.
      Message 3926 of 3926 , Jul 17 8:07 AM