Comics/Continuity/Books

  • admiralriker_jay
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
      Yeh Folks,

      In a couple of earlier posts we discussed the continuity problems
      that existed between the "Interphase I" and "Raise the Defiant". I
      guess I sort of rationalize the difference and say that there was
      some untold part of the story that we just didn't see after "Raise
      the Defiant". That's why we see yet another attempt to bring it out
      of Tholian Space in the first of the SCE books.

      I have to admit that I actually like some of the continuity "gaffs"
      (again, yes I know the shows are all that matters) between the shows,
      comics and novels. For example, I think one of the best periods of
      trek was the first run of the DC comics from the 1980s. Only a
      couple of months pass between Star Trek II and IV, but several comic
      stories were "squeezed" into the time period.

      Over the years I have sort of kept a list of some of the more
      interesting inconsistancies between the comics and novels:

      1. Kirk and David Marcus. (Faces of Fire and one comic story from
      the 2nd run of DC comics have different back stories about Kirk/Carol
      Marcus and Kirk's relationship with David)

      2. Death of T'Pau (Spock's World has her dying, other works have her

      3. Death of Stonn (DC comic story has him dying around the 5th
      movie, other books have him alive later)

      4. Death of Gul Evek (He died one of the DS9 books but, then
      appeared in a later story)

      I think I have a couple of others written down (dates from books
      being incorrect, etc) but these are the ones that I have focusing on
      characters....anyone have anymore?

      Jason
    • Allyn Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
        On Friday, April 30, 2004 Jason wrote:

        > I have to admit that I actually like some of the continuity
        > "gaffs" (again, yes I know the shows are all that matters) between
        > the shows, comics and novels. For example, I think one of the
        > best periods of Trek was the first run of the DC comics from the
        > 1980s. Only a couple of months pass between Star Trek II and IV,
        > but several comic stories were "squeezed" into the time period.

        As a thought experiment, let's suppose I were writing a story about
        Konom, the Klingon defector Kirk took aboard the Enterprise after Star
        Trek II, and this story dealt with Konom's life after, say, Star Trek
        VI. If I were referencing, say, issue 4, which clearly took place
        between Star Trek II and Star Trek III, I think I might be a little
        vague on exactly when it took place. Not because I think the stories
        from the inter-movie periods don't fit--I think they can--but because
        readers, perhaps -many- readers, think they don't fit, and stately
        plainly otherwise could shatter the willing suspension of disbelief.

        Personally, I think Trek is inherently flexible enough that, given
        enough mental torque, any square peg can fit into any round hole.
        Where one might see as a continuity gaffe, others might see the
        opportunity for a story to be told to explain away that gaffe.

        Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
        AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

        What's problematic to me is not that the President is staggeringly
        dim-witted, but that the press knows he's staggeringly dim-witted
        and everyone just pretends that he's not. It's like the Presidency
        has become the Special Olympics and everyone wants to give him an
        award just for trying.
        -- Huey, "The Boondocks," 28 April 2004