Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Mission Gamma

Expand Messages
  • mxpalmieri
    ... alot, ... written. ... overall ... going to ... is ... maybe at ... own ... It varies from project to project, and from author to author. Collaboration by
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > So I just finished "This Gray Spirit" and I must say I liked it
      alot,
      > but I have a question regarding as to how the books were
      written.
      > Since different authors are handling each book, how was the
      overall
      > plot handled? Does KRAD call up DR3 and say "hey david im
      going to
      > just kill off x character and have the tribbles take out the UFP,
      is
      > that okay with your next book?" I was just curious if certain
      > plotlines were set in stone before the books were written,
      maybe at
      > some kind of meeting and then authors each wove it into their
      own
      > style? Just curious.


      It varies from project to project, and from author to author.
      Collaboration by multiple authors on a continuing story requires
      a great deal of planning and coordination (and an editor with a
      taste for masochism) in order for the individual stories to work
      together cohesively to form the megastory. Some authors do
      confer with each other on specific plot points, but usually it all
      goes through the editor, who ultimately bears the responsibility
      of keeping everything as consistent as possible.

      Post-finale DS9 fiction started with a long-term story and
      character framework that was developed at the onset, and within
      which contributing authors had the freedom to develop their own
      ideas. In many cases these new ideas led to changes in the
      direction of the megastory or in the individual character arcs,
      which inspired still more new ideas. So there's a great deal of
      fluidity to the creative process of the current DS9 novels, but the
      original narrative framework has always remained intact.


      > Oh also, Rising Son comes after the Mission Gamma series
      right?


      Yes, but if you haven't yet read The Lives of Dax, it's important to
      read that before or after Rising Son.

      Marco
    • Keith R.A. DeCandido
      The coordinating on these things is done by the editor, Marco Palmieri. He makes sure we re all on the same page with everything, he coordinates the plots, and
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        The coordinating on these things is done by the editor, Marco Palmieri. He
        makes sure we're all on the same page with everything, he coordinates the
        plots, and keeps everything consistent.

        In exchange, we all regularly sacrifice goats in his name. No, really!


        Keith R.A. DeCandido
        keith@...
        DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com | KRADfanclub.com

        "Don't f--- with the Jedi Master, son."
        ---Mark Hamill as Cock-Knocker, JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
      • David Fernau
        Why goats, Keith? Inquiring minds want to know! --David
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          Why goats, Keith?

          Inquiring minds want to know!

          --David

          --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:
          > In exchange, we all regularly sacrifice goats in his
          > name. No, really!
        • mxpalmieri
          ... Because Vaal hungers. Marco
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
            <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
            > Why goats, Keith?
            >


            Because Vaal hungers.

            Marco
          • David Fernau
            A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb. :)
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
              if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb. :)

              --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
              > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
              > > Why goats, Keith?
              > >
              > Because Vaal hungers.
              >
              > Marco
            • Allyn Gibson
              ... Because tree sloths and pandas would run afoul of various and sundry Wildlife & Fisheries departments. Endangered species laws and all that. Allyn
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                On Thursday, March 4, 2004 David wrote:

                > Why goats, Keith?

                > Inquiring minds want to know!

                Because tree sloths and pandas would run afoul of various and sundry
                Wildlife & Fisheries departments. Endangered species laws and all
                that.

                Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
                AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

                "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
                "I think so, Brain, but was there -ever- an Accordion of Rassilon?"
              • April Payne
                Lol! April ... Because Vaal hungers. Marco ... Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks/ To
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  Lol!

                  April

                  mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                  <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                  > Why goats, Keith?
                  >


                  Because Vaal hungers.

                  Marco




                  ---------------------------------
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks/

                  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



                  ---------------------------------
                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • April Payne
                  You either work with sheep or you should sell that one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I m so bad ... grin. April David Fernau
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    You either work with sheep or you should sell that one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so bad ... grin.

                    April

                    David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                    A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                    if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb. :)

                    --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                    > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                    > > Why goats, Keith?
                    > >
                    > Because Vaal hungers.
                    >
                    > Marco


                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    Click Here

                    ---------------------------------
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks/

                    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



                    ---------------------------------
                    Do you Yahoo!?
                    Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.

                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • David Fernau
                    Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker s two ewes just had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the lambs (though some people around here do have cows
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                      had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the lambs
                      (though some people around here do have cows
                      occasionally).

                      --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                      > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                      > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                      > bad ... grin.
                      >
                      > April
                      >
                      > David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                      > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                      > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb.
                      > :)
                      >
                      > --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                      >
                      > > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Why goats, Keith?
                      > > >
                      > > Because Vaal hungers.
                      > >
                      > > Marco
                      >
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                      > Click Here
                      >
                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      > To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrekbooks/
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      > startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Do you Yahoo!?
                      > Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.
                      >
                      > [Non-text portions of this message have been
                      > removed]
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      >
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      >
                      > startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >
                      >
                      >
                    • v_3sterns
                      Yeah I purchased Lives of Dax and Rising Son at Wal-Mart while I was trashed last friday night at 4 am :) (what can I say, when I drink the dork gets let out).
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Yeah I purchased Lives of Dax and Rising Son at Wal-Mart while I was
                        trashed last friday night at 4 am :) (what can I say, when I drink
                        the dork gets let out). I didn't know where Lives of Dax fit in to
                        the plot line or if it wasn't connected at all so I was going to just
                        read it after Unity, but now ill read it before Rising Son like you
                        mentioned earlier.

                        Also, does the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the major plot at all?
                        Should I read that before Unity?

                        Btw I think its really cool that the authors/editors are actually
                        reachable in a community like this. I need to read here more often.







                        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, mxpalmieri <no_reply@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns
                        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > > So I just finished "This Gray Spirit" and I must say I liked it
                        > alot,
                        > > but I have a question regarding as to how the books were
                        > written.
                        > > Since different authors are handling each book, how was the
                        > overall
                        > > plot handled? Does KRAD call up DR3 and say "hey david im
                        > going to
                        > > just kill off x character and have the tribbles take out the UFP,
                        > is
                        > > that okay with your next book?" I was just curious if certain
                        > > plotlines were set in stone before the books were written,
                        > maybe at
                        > > some kind of meeting and then authors each wove it into their
                        > own
                        > > style? Just curious.
                        >
                        >
                        > It varies from project to project, and from author to author.
                        > Collaboration by multiple authors on a continuing story requires
                        > a great deal of planning and coordination (and an editor with a
                        > taste for masochism) in order for the individual stories to work
                        > together cohesively to form the megastory. Some authors do
                        > confer with each other on specific plot points, but usually it all
                        > goes through the editor, who ultimately bears the responsibility
                        > of keeping everything as consistent as possible.
                        >
                        > Post-finale DS9 fiction started with a long-term story and
                        > character framework that was developed at the onset, and within
                        > which contributing authors had the freedom to develop their own
                        > ideas. In many cases these new ideas led to changes in the
                        > direction of the megastory or in the individual character arcs,
                        > which inspired still more new ideas. So there's a great deal of
                        > fluidity to the creative process of the current DS9 novels, but the
                        > original narrative framework has always remained intact.
                        >
                        >
                        > > Oh also, Rising Son comes after the Mission Gamma series
                        > right?
                        >
                        >
                        > Yes, but if you haven't yet read The Lives of Dax, it's important
                        to
                        > read that before or after Rising Son.
                        >
                        > Marco
                      • Jackie Bundy
                        ... I can just see next weeks tabloid headlines. Animal sacrifice at publishing headquarters!!! Gee, I wonder what the rags pay for tips these days?
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                          > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                          > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                          > bad ... grin.

                          I can just see next weeks tabloid headlines. Animal
                          sacrifice at publishing headquarters!!!

                          Gee, I wonder what the rags pay for tips these days?
                          hmmmmmm...

                          Jackie

                          __________________________________
                          Do you Yahoo!?
                          Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster
                          http://search.yahoo.com
                        • Jackie Bundy
                          ... I think Left Hand can be read at any time. None of it s plot elements are critical to the relaunch titles. It s a very fun read all on it s own. ... And
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- v_3sterns <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            >
                            > Also, does the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the
                            > major plot at all? Should I read that before Unity?

                            I think Left Hand can be read at any time. None of
                            it's plot elements are critical to the relaunch
                            titles. It's a very fun read all on it's own.
                            >
                            > Btw I think its really cool that the authors/editors
                            > are actually
                            > reachable in a community like this. I need to read
                            > here more often.

                            And they don't bite either ;)

                            Jackie

                            __________________________________
                            Do you Yahoo!?
                            Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster
                            http://search.yahoo.com
                          • mxpalmieri
                            ... the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the major plot at all? ... It s not immediately relevant to the continuing story in the other novels, but it s intended
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns > Also, does
                              the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the major plot at all?
                              > Should I read that before Unity?

                              It's not immediately relevant to the continuing story in the other
                              novels, but it's intended to be read before Unity, not only because
                              it follows up on the goings-on of Martok, Worf and others
                              immediately following the end of the war, but also because the
                              timeline at the start of Unity contains spoilers for The Left Hand
                              of Destiny.

                              Marco
                            • David R. George III
                              ... was so good.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns wrote:

                                >> Oh and David, Twilight was bad ass! I read it in three days it
                                was so good. <<

                                Thanks, Kenneth. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the
                                novel so much.

                                Regards,
                                David
                              • April Payne
                                I m sorry I just had to ... you know that don t you? *wink April David Fernau wrote: Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker s two ewes
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  I'm sorry I just had to ... you know that don't you? *wink

                                  April

                                  David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                                  Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                                  had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the lambs
                                  (though some people around here do have cows
                                  occasionally).

                                  --- April Payne wrote:
                                  > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                                  > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                                  > bad ... grin.
                                  >
                                  > April
                                  >
                                  > David Fernau wrote:
                                  > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                                  > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb.
                                  > :)
                                  >


                                  ---------------------------------
                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                  Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.

                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                • David Fernau
                                  Just don t have a cow about it! :D
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Just don't have a cow about it! :D

                                    --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                                    > I'm sorry I just had to ... you know that don't you?
                                    > *wink
                                    >
                                    > April
                                    >
                                    > David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                                    > Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                                    > had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the
                                    > lambs
                                    > (though some people around here do have cows
                                    > occasionally).
                                    >
                                    > --- April Payne wrote:
                                    > > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                                    > > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                                    > > bad ... grin.
                                    > >
                                    > > April
                                    > >
                                    > > David Fernau wrote:
                                    > > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to
                                    > know
                                    > > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial
                                    > lamb.
                                    > > :)
                                    > >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > ---------------------------------
                                    > Do you Yahoo!?
                                    > Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.
                                    >
                                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been
                                    > removed]
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                  • Keith R.A. DeCandido
                                    ... If we had a cow, we wouldn t need to sacrifice the goat........ Keith R.A. DeCandido keith@decandido.net DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com | KRADfanclub.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      >Just don't have a cow about it! :D

                                      If we had a cow, we wouldn't need to sacrifice the goat........



                                      Keith R.A. DeCandido
                                      keith@...
                                      DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com | KRADfanclub.com

                                      "Don't f--- with the Jedi Master, son."
                                      ---Mark Hamill as Cock-Knocker, JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
                                    • David Fernau
                                      Well, in this office, we have lots of people having cows... want one?
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        Well, in this office, we have lots of people having
                                        cows... want one?

                                        --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > >Just don't have a cow about it! :D
                                        >
                                        > If we had a cow, we wouldn't need to sacrifice the
                                        > goat........
                                      • April Payne
                                        Oh, not me, lol! April David Fernau wrote: Just don t have a cow about it! :D ... Yahoo! Groups Links ... Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Search -
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 4, 2004
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          Oh, not me, lol!

                                          April

                                          David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                                          Just don't have a cow about it! :D

                                          --- April Payne wrote:
                                          > I'm sorry I just had to ... you know that don't you?
                                          > *wink
                                          >
                                          > April
                                          >
                                          > David Fernau wrote:
                                          > Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                                          > had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the
                                          > lambs
                                          > (though some people around here do have cows
                                          > occasionally).
                                          >
                                          > --- April Payne wrote:
                                          > > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                                          > > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                                          > > bad ... grin.
                                          > >
                                          > > April
                                          > >
                                          > > David Fernau wrote:
                                          > > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to
                                          > know
                                          > > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial
                                          > lamb.
                                          > > :)
                                          > >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > ---------------------------------
                                          > Do you Yahoo!?
                                          > Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.
                                          >
                                          > [Non-text portions of this message have been
                                          > removed]
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > startrekbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >




                                          Yahoo! Groups Links






                                          ---------------------------------
                                          Do you Yahoo!?
                                          Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster.

                                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.