Mission Gamma

  • v_3sterns
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 4 1:57 AM
      So I just finished "This Gray Spirit" and I must say I liked it alot,
      but I have a question regarding as to how the books were written.
      Since different authors are handling each book, how was the overall
      plot handled? Does KRAD call up DR3 and say "hey david im going to
      just kill off x character and have the tribbles take out the UFP, is
      that okay with your next book?" I was just curious if certain
      plotlines were set in stone before the books were written, maybe at
      some kind of meeting and then authors each wove it into their own
      style? Just curious.
      Oh also, Rising Son comes after the Mission Gamma series right?

      Oh and David, Twilight was bad ass! I read it in three days it was so
      good.
    • mxpalmieri
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 4 6:48 AM
        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > So I just finished "This Gray Spirit" and I must say I liked it
        alot,
        > but I have a question regarding as to how the books were
        written.
        > Since different authors are handling each book, how was the
        overall
        > plot handled? Does KRAD call up DR3 and say "hey david im
        going to
        > just kill off x character and have the tribbles take out the UFP,
        is
        > that okay with your next book?" I was just curious if certain
        > plotlines were set in stone before the books were written,
        maybe at
        > some kind of meeting and then authors each wove it into their
        own
        > style? Just curious.

        It varies from project to project, and from author to author.
        Collaboration by multiple authors on a continuing story requires
        a great deal of planning and coordination (and an editor with a
        taste for masochism) in order for the individual stories to work
        together cohesively to form the megastory. Some authors do
        confer with each other on specific plot points, but usually it all
        goes through the editor, who ultimately bears the responsibility
        of keeping everything as consistent as possible.

        Post-finale DS9 fiction started with a long-term story and
        character framework that was developed at the onset, and within
        which contributing authors had the freedom to develop their own
        ideas. In many cases these new ideas led to changes in the
        direction of the megastory or in the individual character arcs,
        which inspired still more new ideas. So there's a great deal of
        fluidity to the creative process of the current DS9 novels, but the
        original narrative framework has always remained intact.

        > Oh also, Rising Son comes after the Mission Gamma series
        right?

        Yes, but if you haven't yet read The Lives of Dax, it's important to
        read that before or after Rising Son.

        Marco
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 4 7:45 AM
          The coordinating on these things is done by the editor, Marco Palmieri. He
          makes sure we're all on the same page with everything, he coordinates the
          plots, and keeps everything consistent.

          In exchange, we all regularly sacrifice goats in his name. No, really!

          DeCandido.net | AlbeShiloh.com | KRADfanclub.com

          "Don't f--- with the Jedi Master, son."
          ---Mark Hamill as Cock-Knocker, JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
        • David Fernau
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 4 8:17 AM
            Why goats, Keith?

            Inquiring minds want to know!

            --David

            --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:
            > In exchange, we all regularly sacrifice goats in his
            > name. No, really!
          • mxpalmieri
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 4 8:28 AM
              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
              <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
              > Why goats, Keith?

              Because Vaal hungers.

              Marco
            • David Fernau
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 4 8:37 AM
                A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb. :)

                --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                > > Why goats, Keith?
                > >
                > Because Vaal hungers.
                >
                > Marco
              • Allyn Gibson
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 4 8:40 AM
                  On Thursday, March 4, 2004 David wrote:

                  > Why goats, Keith?

                  > Inquiring minds want to know!

                  Because tree sloths and pandas would run afoul of various and sundry
                  Wildlife & Fisheries departments. Endangered species laws and all
                  that.

                  Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
                  AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

                  "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
                  "I think so, Brain, but was there -ever- an Accordion of Rassilon?"
                • April Payne
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 4 10:42 AM
                    Lol!

                    April

                    <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                    > Why goats, Keith?

                    Because Vaal hungers.

                    Marco

                  • April Payne
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 4 10:43 AM
                      You either work with sheep or you should sell that one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so bad ... grin.

                      April

                      David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                      A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                      if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb. :)

                      --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                      > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                      > > Why goats, Keith?
                      > >
                      > Because Vaal hungers.
                      >
                      > Marco

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                      Click Here

                    • David Fernau
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 4 11:30 AM
                        Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                        had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the lambs
                        (though some people around here do have cows
                        occasionally).

                        --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                        > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                        > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                        > bad ... grin.
                        >
                        > April
                        >
                        > David Fernau <davidf1966@...> wrote:
                        > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                        > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb.
                        > :)
                        >
                        > --- mxpalmieri <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau
                        >
                        > > <davidf1966@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Why goats, Keith?
                        > > >
                        > > Because Vaal hungers.
                        > >
                        > > Marco
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        > Click Here

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                        > removed]

                      • v_3sterns
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 4 12:11 PM
                          Yeah I purchased Lives of Dax and Rising Son at Wal-Mart while I was
                          trashed last friday night at 4 am :) (what can I say, when I drink
                          the dork gets let out). I didn't know where Lives of Dax fit in to
                          the plot line or if it wasn't connected at all so I was going to just
                          read it after Unity, but now ill read it before Rising Son like you
                          mentioned earlier.

                          Also, does the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the major plot at all?
                          Should I read that before Unity?

                          Btw I think its really cool that the authors/editors are actually
                          reachable in a community like this. I need to read here more often.

                          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, mxpalmieri <no_reply@y...>

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 4 12:31 PM
                            --- April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
                            > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                            > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                            > bad ... grin.

                            I can just see next weeks tabloid headlines. Animal
                            sacrifice at publishing headquarters!!!

                            Gee, I wonder what the rags pay for tips these days?
                            hmmmmmm...

                            http://search.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 4 12:37 PM
                              --- v_3sterns <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              > Also, does the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the
                              > major plot at all? Should I read that before Unity?

                              I think Left Hand can be read at any time. None of
                              it's plot elements are critical to the relaunch
                              titles. It's a very fun read all on it's own.

                              > Btw I think its really cool that the authors/editors
                              > are actually
                              > reachable in a community like this. I need to read
                              > here more often.

                              And they don't bite either ;)

                              http://search.yahoo.com
                            • mxpalmieri
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 4 12:38 PM
                                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns > Also, does
                                the Left Hand of Destiny fit in to the major plot at all?
                                > Should I read that before Unity?

                                It's not immediately relevant to the continuing story in the other
                                novels, but it's intended to be read before Unity, not only because
                                it follows up on the goings-on of Martok, Worf and others
                                immediately following the end of the war, but also because the
                                timeline at the start of Unity contains spoilers for The Left Hand
                                of Destiny.

                                Marco
                              • David R. George III
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 4 1:04 PM
                                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, v_3sterns wrote:

                                  >> Oh and David, Twilight was bad ass! I read it in three days it
                                  was so good. <<

                                  Thanks, Kenneth. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the
                                  novel so much.

                                  Regards,
                                  David
                                • April Payne
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 4 1:59 PM
                                    I'm sorry I just had to ... you know that don't you? *wink

                                    --- April Payne wrote:
                                    > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                                    > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                                    > bad ... grin.
                                    >
                                    > April
                                    >
                                    > David Fernau wrote:
                                    > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to know
                                    > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial lamb.
                                    > :)

                                  • David Fernau
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 4 2:17 PM
                                      Just don't have a cow about it! :D

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 4 2:23 PM
                                        >Just don't have a cow about it! :D

                                        If we had a cow, we wouldn't need to sacrifice the goat........

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 4 2:33 PM
                                          Well, in this office, we have lots of people having
                                          cows... want one?

                                          --- "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

                                          > >Just don't have a cow about it! :D
                                          >
                                          > If we had a cow, we wouldn't need to sacrifice the
                                          > goat........
                                        • April Payne
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 4 3:53 PM
                                            Oh, not me, lol!

                                            --- April Payne wrote:
                                            > I'm sorry I just had to ... you know that don't you?
                                            > *wink
                                            >
                                            > April
                                            >
                                            > David Fernau wrote:
                                            > Okay, let me clarify... a co-worker's two ewes just
                                            > had 5 lambs between them... SHE did not have the
                                            > lambs
                                            > (though some people around here do have cows
                                            > occasionally).
                                            >
                                            > --- April Payne wrote:
                                            > > You either work with sheep or you should sell that
                                            > > one to the National Enquirer, lol. I know, I'm so
                                            > > bad ... grin.
                                            > >
                                            > > April
                                            > >
                                            > > David Fernau wrote:
                                            > > A co-worker just had 5 baby lambs, she wants to
                                            > know
                                            > > if The Great Marco would accept a sacrificial
                                            > lamb.
                                            > > :)

                                            > removed]

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links