A Ribbon For Rosie (SNWII)

  • admiralriker_jay
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
      Ah, feels good to return to reading trek....

      Just finished reading "A Ribbon For Rosie" and was pleased to see
      that the (fan) writer decided to take a crack at explaining more of
      the back story for Seven of Nine. Many fans have always thought that
      the writers of Voyager made a huge gaff when they just put Seven's
      family in a ship exploring the Delta Quadrant and seemed to ignore
      the distances involved between the Alpha and Delta Quadrants...this
      story hints that the Hansens were also expirementing with using
      engine technology to travel long distances. Hey it ain't perfect,
      but at least it tries to rationalize what the "pro" writers screwed
      up.

      Jason
    • Ian McFarlane
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
        I just figured that the Borg snatched 'em in the outer reaches of the
        Alpha or Beta Quadrants and transwarped them away.

        Ah, feels good to return to reading trek....

        Just finished reading "A Ribbon For Rosie" and was pleased to see
        that the (fan) writer decided to take a crack at explaining more of
        the back story for Seven of Nine. Many fans have always thought that
        the writers of Voyager made a huge gaff when they just put Seven's
        family in a ship exploring the Delta Quadrant and seemed to ignore
        the distances involved between the Alpha and Delta Quadrants...this
        story hints that the Hansens were also expirementing with using
        engine technology to travel long distances. Hey it ain't perfect,
        but at least it tries to rationalize what the "pro" writers screwed
        up.

        Jason

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=264664.3938044.5282857.3836955/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        983607:HM/A=1810947/R=2/SIG=1378d0a3i/*http:/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N73
        3.yahoo/B1232965;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=1067735488747685?>

        Alt Text
        <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N733.yahoo/B1232965;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=3
        00x250;ord=1067735488747685?> Alt Text

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=264664.3938044.5282857.3836955/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1810947/rand=898732552>

      • Allyn Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
          On Saturday, November 01, 2003 Ian wrote:

          > I just figured that the Borg snatched [the Hansens] in the outer
          > reaches of the Alpha or Beta Quadrants and transwarped them away.

          There are two competing theories that I hold at various times on the
          question of the Hansens and how they became Borgified.

          1) They were Section 31 agents and were privy to El-Aurian debriefs
          dating from the Enterprise-B encounter with the Lakul, possibly
          even with hands-on experience with the wreckage seen in
          "Regeneration." Pure research was their cover, if needed.

          2) The Hansens didn't exist at all, and were merely an implanted
          memory in Seven's consciousness. In reality Seven is a "sleeper"
          Borg, who believes she is human (and is probably genetically
          human), but had no human existence prior to the Voyager's encounter
          with the Borg in "Scorpion."

          Honestly, on the subject of Seven and her parents, I'm willing to
          entertain almost any possibility. "A Ribbon for Rosie" doesn't seem
          compatible with "Dark Frontier," for instance, but one must also
          remember the filtering Seven's memories (and by extension, her
          perception of childhood) had when chained into the Borg
          hive-consciousness. In those circumstances, nearly anything is
          possible.

          Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
          AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

          How do you tell whether a CD is any good? You look for evidence of
          quiet good taste, is how. You look for a moody black-and-white
          cover, evidence of violas, maybe a guest appearance from someone
          classy, some ironic song titles, a sticker with a quote taken from
          a review in Mojo or a broadsheet newspaper, perhaps a couple of
          references somewhere to literature or cinema. And, of course, you
          stop listening to music made by shrieking, leather-trousered,
          shaggy-haired men altogether. Because how are you supposed to know
          whether it's any good or not, when it's played that loud, by people
          apparently so hostile to the aesthetics of understated modnernity?
          -- Nick Hornby, Songbook
        • Ian McFarlane
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
            How does "Dark Frontier" contradict the "Rosie Ribbon" story?

            On Saturday, November 01, 2003 Ian wrote:

            > I just figured that the Borg snatched [the Hansens] in the outer
            > reaches of the Alpha or Beta Quadrants and transwarped them away.

            There are two competing theories that I hold at various times on the
            question of the Hansens and how they became Borgified.

            1) They were Section 31 agents and were privy to El-Aurian debriefs
            dating from the Enterprise-B encounter with the Lakul, possibly
            even with hands-on experience with the wreckage seen in
            "Regeneration." Pure research was their cover, if needed.

            2) The Hansens didn't exist at all, and were merely an implanted
            memory in Seven's consciousness. In reality Seven is a "sleeper"
            Borg, who believes she is human (and is probably genetically
            human), but had no human existence prior to the Voyager's encounter
            with the Borg in "Scorpion."

            Honestly, on the subject of Seven and her parents, I'm willing to
            entertain almost any possibility. "A Ribbon for Rosie" doesn't seem
            compatible with "Dark Frontier," for instance, but one must also
            remember the filtering Seven's memories (and by extension, her
            perception of childhood) had when chained into the Borg
            hive-consciousness. In those circumstances, nearly anything is
            possible.

            Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
            AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

            How do you tell whether a CD is any good? You look for evidence of
            quiet good taste, is how. You look for a moody black-and-white
            cover, evidence of violas, maybe a guest appearance from someone
            classy, some ironic song titles, a sticker with a quote taken from
            a review in Mojo or a broadsheet newspaper, perhaps a couple of
            references somewhere to literature or cinema. And, of course, you
            stop listening to music made by shrieking, leather-trousered,
            shaggy-haired men altogether. Because how are you supposed to know
            whether it's any good or not, when it's played that loud, by people
            apparently so hostile to the aesthetics of understated modnernity?
            -- Nick Hornby, Songbook

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=264664.3938044.5282857.3836955/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            983607:HM/A=1810947/R=2/SIG=137acor4e/*http:/ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N73
            3.yahoo/B1232965;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=1067743102586297?>

            Alt Text
            <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N733.yahoo/B1232965;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=3
            00x250;ord=1067743102586297?> Alt Text

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=264664.3938044.5282857.3836955/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1810947/rand=719367288>

          • Allyn Gibson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              On Saturday, November 01, 2003 Ian wrote:

              > How does "Dark Frontier" contradict the "Rosie Ribbon" story?

              I didn't say there was a contradiction. I said that the stories
              "[don't] seem compatible," and it was strictly a feeling I had in
              comparing the two. In "Dark Frontier" I felt the Hansens were far
              more directed at finding the Borg, that it was their raison d'etre,
              while in "A Ribbon for Rosie" finding the Borg was simply a tragic
              accident. The difference, I think, can be explained in looking at the
              narrators of the two versions of events. In "Dark Frontier" Janeway
              reviews the Hansens logs, while "Rosie" shows how Seven, as a young
              child, interpreted events as they happened, and wouldn't have been
              aware of the knowledge that her parents had regarding the Borg. The
              emphasis in the two stories is simply different, and hence the
              different interpretations that at first glance, may not fit together
              seamlessly.

              Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
              AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

              In my day-to-day existence, in my endeavors to cope with each
              passing day, I have lost the conviction that there is some greater
              being watching over us. People usually don't have instant epiph-
              anies, not really. What you usually have is a very small revela-
              tion, a tiny peek behind the fabric of our reality to see the
              gnawing, monstrous evil that hides behind it all. The darkness from
              which forlorn voices cry out in hopelessness and misery. It leers
              at you and knows with grim satisfaction that it can bide its time
              because, sooner or later, it gets you in the end.
              -- Peter David, "Once Burned"