SM: Three Hour Tour

  • Paul Kubinec
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002

      It was supposed to be a short trip.  Just a little hop out from Kulan and back again when the heat had died down.  It didn't turn out that way.  About six hours out, there was a blinding flash of light and just about everything in the ship stopped.  I rushed to the bridge and the following conversation ensued.

      "STRANDED?! What do you mean we're stranded?"

      "We are not going anywhere, that is what. The Kip is almost completely dead. Only the heart works now. We cannot move, hear, or see. We are, for all intents and purposes, dead. Or if you prefer, brain dead. We have until the heart finally stops to live; four days, maybe more. It is impossible to tell for certain. We may, perhaps, die of starvation, or dehydration, but most likely asphyxiation. Accept it, Ara. We are all going to die. That is… Unless we are rescued. The chances of that happening are negligible, though," She said in that soft, hissing voice of hers. Merdre, how I hate that tone. Rexy can be a real pain when she chooses to be, and being as young as she is, she rather enjoys it.

      "Well can't you do something? Is all really lost? Can't you fix the Kip, get it up and running again?" The one having a panic attack was me, Ara der Timara. I admit that finding my imminent death so much closer than I would have liked was a bit startling.

      "No, it is not so simple as that. I cannot fix it, as you say, because it is a living being. Unfortunately, neither can I revive it. I can't bring back the dead. Once one of the void-swimmers die, there's nothing I can do! Understand that, human!" Rexy was beginning to get a little angry now, which can be a very frightening experience.

      "Ladies, please. Try to…"

      "Call me a 'lady' again child and you will regret it," the 'child' was called Ash SilverBark. He is very annoying and I would rather have not had him there. He was though, a computer genius. That's why he was there.

      "Ara, stop this," ElvenStar said in a hoarse whisper. That was Ash's father, Elk ElvenStar. The best merc in all of Kulan, and the most dangerous being I have ever met.

      "Ari, please calm down. Good. Take a deep breath. Relax," Evan said. Another Elf; the only one that I don't intensely dislike.

      "I refuse to relax when I find myself face-to-face with this kind of death, Evan," I snarled back.

      "He's right, you know. If you don't get a grip on yourself, you won't be able to think clearly," Storm interjected. She's one of my best friends, and the only other human on board.

      "Who asked you?" I shot back.

      "Stop it, all of you! Rexy, is there not a distress signal that we can activate? To aid any rescuers?" That was Rubya Jem. She was the last one to join our little group of travellers. I don't know much about her.

      "Perhaps, but I am not sure that it will work. Everything is dead, and I have no way of knowing if it will work, but I will try," Rexy said thoughtfully.

      "Good. Perchance then help will come."

      "You know, your little outbursts won't do any good. It won't hurry our rescue from this place," Storm said to me later when between her and Evan they had finally gotten me to calm down.

      "I know. But… I'm worried. I want to live. I want to see battle again, to taste my enemies' blood. I want to die in battle, not on a dead ship. Where's the Honour in that? Or the Glory?"

      "It's worse to be killed by your own blade. You're right, though, this is not a good way to die."

      "Where's Evan, anyway?"

      "I'll go get him," she left me to my dark thoughts.

      "Yo."

      "What?" I said.

      "What?"

      "You said 'yo', you never talk like that."

      "It sounded like the appropriate thing to say. Anyway, what did you want?" Evan can be obnoxious at times.

      "Do you know if your Power works yet?"

      "I haven't tried, actually."

      "Very well, try to see once we're rescued, though. Oh, and Evan?"

      "Yea."

      "When we're rescued, don't steal anything. Because if you do, I have no intention of bailing you out. If you get caught, you can rot in prison until the bars rust away and you are free to walk out, or break out on your own. Don't expect my help."

      "Fine."

      OOC: This story was contributed by one of my friends.  She hates e-mail, but wants me include some of her characters as sort of freelance mercenaries.  The planet mentioned, Kulan will never be included as an Empire in its own right, though its odd history will be explained.  I hope that this is alright with everyone.

      Matthew Kubinec
      Netcasts
      Everton Imperium