Re: [Starshield] OOC:BoSs Awards and Ephorate

  • Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2000
      Esteban,

      I believe last year the final day for nominating work was the end of
      the year. That's somewhat of a long way off, but there are still a lot
      of people who are in the middle of a story line. Perhaps what we need to
      do is to have a final deadline - say December 1st, for nominations and
      then all votes must be in by december 31.
      BTW, I never got a chance to say it before, but great job on the
      Awards Logo! Is it possible to make up a score of those with the word
      'Nomination' under it? That way members can re-post a chapter of a
      nominated story or character sample with the BoSs symbol on it.

      For the Ephorate votes, how does the end of this month sound? I'm
      about to throw in my hat since it seems no one else is wishes to do so.
      I suggested an idea that elected members get to create a direct trading
      alliances with the Major Empires, giving them a boost in income for
      their economy. Does anyone have any objection to this as a perk for
      running for the seat?

      Lowell
    • Jauregui Lorda
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2000
        Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos escribió:

        > Esteban,
        >
        > I believe last year the final day for nominating work was the end of
        > the year. That's somewhat of a long way off, but there are still a lot
        > of people who are in the middle of a story line. Perhaps what we need to
        > do is to have a final deadline - say December 1st, for nominations and
        > then all votes must be in by december 31.

        Oh, I thought we were already voting... that way, I would like to change
        my original list to include some other "nominees" :)

        > BTW, I never got a chance to say it before, but great job on the
        > Awards Logo! Is it possible to make up a score of those with the word
        > 'Nomination' under it? That way members can re-post a chapter of a
        > nominated story or character sample with the BoSs symbol on it.

        Of course, it can be done easily. Should I work on all the pics then?

        > For the Ephorate votes, how does the end of this month sound? I'm
        > about to throw in my hat since it seems no one else is wishes to do so.
        > I suggested an idea that elected members get to create a direct trading
        > alliances with the Major Empires, giving them a boost in income for
        > their economy. Does anyone have any objection to this as a perk for
        > running for the seat?

        I have no objections, in fact, it would be nice to get some extra Omnium
        ;) Nad it might make some more people stand up for it.

        Esteban.
      • Stellar StarElven
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2000
          > I believe last year the final day for nominating work was the end of
          > the year. That's somewhat of a long way off, but there are still a lot
          > of people who are in the middle of a story line. Perhaps what we need to
          > do is to have a final deadline - say December 1st, for nominations and
          > then all votes must be in by december 31.
          > BTW, I never got a chance to say it before, but great job on the
          > Awards Logo! Is it possible to make up a score of those with the word
          > 'Nomination' under it? That way members can re-post a chapter of a
          > nominated story or character sample with the BoSs symbol on it.

          I also liked the pic but hate making ooc posts for only one thing. =)
          So...Looks Great!

          > For the Ephorate votes, how does the end of this month sound? I'm
          > about to throw in my hat since it seems no one else is wishes to do so.
          > I suggested an idea that elected members get to create a direct trading
          > alliances with the Major Empires, giving them a boost in income for
          > their economy. Does anyone have any objection to this as a perk for
          > running for the seat?

          That would not be a perk for Dra'Keshi, if we were to run. Tho I consider
          they are still far too new in the workings for such a move to be even
          considered.
          Anyhow...If somewhere in the far distant future we do get into such a thing.
          Would there be anything of an alternate perk that would help out we who have
          no economy and don't plan on having one...ever???

          Stellar StarElven
        • Mark Proctor
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 13, 2000
            Here's a question, is there anyone running for the Ephorate who is close
            to my empire? I'm in Nova Scotia. Laria is likely to vote for the closest
            empire.
            Mark.

            >From: Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos <octoberstudios@...>

            >Esteban,
            >
            > I believe last year the final day for nominating work was the end of
            >the year. That's somewhat of a long way off, but there are still a lot
            >of people who are in the middle of a story line. Perhaps what we need to
            >do is to have a final deadline - say December 1st, for nominations and
            >then all votes must be in by december 31.
            > BTW, I never got a chance to say it before, but great job on the
            >Awards Logo! Is it possible to make up a score of those with the word
            >'Nomination' under it? That way members can re-post a chapter of a
            >nominated story or character sample with the BoSs symbol on it.
            >
            > For the Ephorate votes, how does the end of this month sound? I'm
            >about to throw in my hat since it seems no one else is wishes to do so.
            >I suggested an idea that elected members get to create a direct trading
            >alliances with the Major Empires, giving them a boost in income for
            >their economy. Does anyone have any objection to this as a perk for
            >running for the seat?
            >
            >Lowell

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 13, 2000
              Mark,

              I'm in New Jersey, so that puts us both on the East Coast. Esteban
              is in South America, through the World/Galaxy maps puts him in Sector H
              or G. I'm not sure where Frank is, but I think somewhere in the
              Midwest.

              Lowell
            • Franklin Vittoe
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 13, 2000
                actually, Frank is in NC, also in sector H officially...

                From: Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos <octoberstudios@...>
                To: starshield-rpg@egroups.com
                Subject: Re: [Starshield] OOC:BoSs Awards and Ephorate
                Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:14:59 -0500

                Mark,

                I'm in New Jersey, so that puts us both on the East Coast. Esteban
                is in South America, through the World/Galaxy maps puts him in Sector H
                or G. I'm not sure where Frank is, but I think somewhere in the
                Midwest.

                Lowell

                http://profiles.msn.com
              • Jeremy Hussell
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 13, 2000
                  Here's a map I was working on earlier, that I forgot to show to anyone.

                  Jeremy Hussell

                  On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos wrote:

                  > Mark,
                  >
                  > I'm in New Jersey, so that puts us both on the East Coast. Esteban
                  > is in South America, through the World/Galaxy maps puts him in Sector H
                  > or G. I'm not sure where Frank is, but I think somewhere in the
                  > Midwest.
                  >
                  > Lowell
                  >

                  > Starshield Listserve, Copyright Various Authors 2000

                • Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                    Frank,

                    My bad. I knew you were in Sector H. but for some reason I thought
                    you were from the mid-west. Wow, you're practically neighbors with the
                    FDW/CDW.

                    Lowell
                  • Franklin Vittoe
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                      no problem...I suppose NC could be considered in the midwest for somebody
                      somewhere on the globe... :-)

                      Frank

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                        Well, it sounds like you are the closest, so I guess you'll be getting at
                        least one vote. :)
                        Assuming nothing changes of course.
                        Mark.

                        >From: Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos <octoberstudios@...>

                        >Mark,
                        >
                        > I'm in New Jersey, so that puts us both on the East Coast. Esteban
                        >is in South America, through the World/Galaxy maps puts him in Sector H
                        >or G. I'm not sure where Frank is, but I think somewhere in the
                        >Midwest.
                        >
                        >Lowell

                        http://profiles.msn.com
                      • Mark Proctor
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                          That's a good map. I've seen some like that before, but they were usually
                          vague as to the locations of the player empires.
                          Mark.

                          >From: Jeremy Hussell <7jh4@...>

                          >Here's a map I was working on earlier, that I forgot to show to anyone.
                          >
                          >Jeremy Hussell
                          >
                          >On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos wrote:
                          >
                          > > Mark,
                          > >
                          > > I'm in New Jersey, so that puts us both on the East Coast. Esteban
                          > > is in South America, through the World/Galaxy maps puts him in Sector H
                          > > or G. I'm not sure where Frank is, but I think somewhere in the
                          > > Midwest.
                          > >
                          > > Lowell

                          ><< Map.html >>
                          ><< playermap.jpg >>

                          http://profiles.msn.com
                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                            > Well, it sounds like you are the closest, so I guess you'll be getting at
                            > least one vote. :)
                            > Assuming nothing changes of course.
                            > Mark.

                            [cough cough]
                            Not really....
                            I think I have every one beat so far since I live in Colorado.

                            I am in sector G close to the borders of H and B.

                            Now, one of these days I will finish writing all the stories and introduce
                            myself to the galaxy....just have a couple major kinks to work out in mind
                            first... =)

                            Chris
                          • Jeremy Hussell
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 14, 2000
                              On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Mark Proctor wrote:
                              > That's a good map. I've seen some like that before, but they were usually
                              > vague as to the locations of the player empires.
                              > Mark.

                              Thanks. I've been using Lat-Long coordinates of player's home towns, but
                              I think I'm still off a bit, since the scale on that map is in 15 degree
                              blocks.

                              The locations of the Majors are my own interpretation, especially when it
                              comes to dominion and sway. Around labour day, when I made this map, I
                              was discussing this question with Robert and Tom. The current maps show
                              the Majors as shapeless blobs which overlap a lot of real world
                              locations. Also, they seem too close to the core to me. I thought the
                              megazones were mostly on the rim of the galaxy?

                              We never finished our discussion, but I think that we have the authority
                              to alter the locations slightly, so that they make more sense in the
                              context of the EPG. Just so long as we don't alter anything major
                              (ha!). I'm pretty sure I've got the Majors in the correct order around
                              the rim, but there seems to be some confusion about this. I based the
                              size of the dominions and sways on the information in the RPG beta.

                              Jeremy Hussell

                              P.S. If anyone else wants their empire added to the map, send me your
                              empire's website address and real world location. I plan to update the
                              map over the christmas holidays.

                              P.P.S. While I'm thinking about this, I'd like to nominate Lorena Meklar,
                              formerly of the SQT, now of the Tuathan, for "Best Female
                              Character". Everyone else I want has already been nominated. When will
                              the voting begin?
                            • DarkSide
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 15, 2000
                                All,
                                Just curious, but how many members of the LS are NOT in America?

                                --
                                You cannot defeat what you do not understand
                                DarkSide.

                                Homepage: http://nethercorp.homepage.com/
                                Galax Reference Terminal: http://galaxean-domain.homepage.com/
                                Keeper of the Catalog of Lost Contacts: http://colc.homepage.com/
                              • Franklin Vittoe
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 15, 2000
                                  Jeremy

                                  thanks for the nomination...Lorena Mereklar has been one of my favorite
                                  characters to write...and her story isn't finished yet either...

                                  Frank
                                  The S.Q.T.
                                  btw, should someone post to the LS a list of everyone that has been
                                  nominated?...I don't have any of the nominations anymore (grr...doggone
                                  computer...never loses stuff I don't really need!)

                                  From: Jeremy Hussell <7jh4@...>
                                  To: starshield-rpg@egroups.com
                                  Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:53:03 -0500 (EST)

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 15, 2000
                                    DarkSide escribió:

                                    > All,
                                    > Just curious, but how many members of the LS are NOT in America?

                                    Well, Robert is in South Africa, we have a couple European players...
                                    and I'm in Argentina.

                                    Esteban
                                  • Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 15, 2000
                                      Frank wrote:

                                      "btw, should someone post to the LS a list of everyone that has been
                                      nominated?...I don't have any of the nominations anymore (grr...doggone
                                      computer...never loses stuff I don't really need!)"

                                      Frank,

                                      I'll be trying to do something along those lines tomorrow.

                                      Lowell
                                    • Franklin Vittoe
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 16, 2000
                                        cool...thanks...
                                        Frank

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 16, 2000
                                          Okay,

                                              As promised below are the current BoSs nominations as they stand (if I did forget one or more, please someone correct me and I'll up date the list). Just so that everyone knows I nominated Anatol's CRAP (Episode 1) under the Comedy category, as well as Richard McKinley's Demon War SM, and Chris Corliss's The Call SM under the Fantasy category.

                                              I had floated December 1st as the deadline for all nominations (about two weeks away) and December 31st as the deadline for nomination votes. Once Dec. 1st has come to pass, I'd like to encourage all nominated parties to post samples of their nominated SM's or character(s) portrayals. It would also be cool if we could place Esteban's gif seal on each of those pages. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure it's possible.

                                              The next stage I'd like to take is to get the word out and have as many outside readers visit our Ls, read and vote on our material as well. I know a few Sci-fi and fantasy sites where I can post the word on this event, but I'd like to encourage all of our members to do the same as well.

                                          The Current Best of Starshield Awards Nominations:

                                          Best Empire/Race - Nominations:

                                          The Selesthian Empire
                                          The Sporangians
                                          The August Empire of Archean

                                          Best New Empire/Race Nominations:

                                          The Dra'Keshi
                                          The Maran Community
                                          The Exalted Realm of Baranholme

                                          Best NPC Empire/Organization (The Ghoiites, UAC, Robotics, UTS,  etc...) Nominations:

                                          The UAC
                                          The Ghoiites
                                          The FDW

                                          Best Rogue Empire Nominations:

                                          Spider Queen Theocracy

                                          Best Ss Character - Male in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          Lal Xabbu (The Fab'rini Federation)
                                          Cameron Trek
                                          Roman Vann

                                          Best Ss Character - Female in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          Phaere Arachnia
                                          Lorena Meklar

                                          Best Ss Character - Lifeform in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          The Child of Chaos
                                          The Wights

                                          Best Ss Villian - Male in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          Alen Thossekh (Baptism of Fire)
                                          Emperor Dysek - The Archosaurian Quotient

                                          Best Ss Villian - Female in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          Rowen Arachnia

                                          Best Ss Villian - Lifeform in a SM or IC post Nominations:

                                          The Bacterium (Robert/Lowell)
                                          The Ripper
                                          The Child of Chaos

                                          Best Ss place to visit - (invented artificial worlds of the imagination - DW6, Ringworld, Darknode Citidal, Selesthian Ring Station) Nominations:

                                          The Selesthian Ring Complex
                                          The White

                                          Best Ss Story - Drama Nominations:

                                          The Spider's Web and it's offshoot Sanctuary for an SQT Preistess
                                          Distress Call
                                          The Road to Home

                                          Best Ss Story - Comedy  Nominations:

                                          CRAP (Episode 1)

                                          Best Ss Story - Horror Nominations:

                                          The Road to Home

                                          Best Ss Story - Mystery Nominations:

                                          The Road to Home
                                          Baptism of Fire

                                          Best Ss Story - Fantasy Nominations:

                                          Avalon: The Demon War
                                          The Call - By Chris

                                          Best Ss Story  - First Contact Nominations:

                                          Galax intro by Chris

                                          Best Ss Website Nominations:

                                          The Selesthian Empire Homepage
                                          Fab'Rini Federation Homepage
                                          The KID
                                          Omnet On-Line

                                        • Lowell Boston & Linda Kardos
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 17, 2000
                                            Once again with feeling....

[...]

                                            Galax intro by DarkSide

                                            Best Ss Website Nominations:

                                            The Selesthian Empire Homepage
                                            Fab'Rini Federation Homepage
                                            The KID
                                            Omnet On-Line

                                            Chris and DarkSide, thanks for the corrections.

                                            Lowell

                                          • Mark Proctor
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 17, 2000
                                              As to the location of the majors, I had thought that they were ment to be
                                              located over the oceans where no players would be living, but I'm not sure.
                                              The overlapping of the north and south hemisphere seems to mess that idea
                                              up.

                                              >From: Jeremy Hussell <7jh4@...>

                                              >On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Mark Proctor wrote:
                                              > > That's a good map. I've seen some like that before, but they were
                                              >usually
                                              > > vague as to the locations of the player empires.
                                              > > Mark.
                                              >
                                              >Thanks. I've been using Lat-Long coordinates of player's home towns, but
                                              >I think I'm still off a bit, since the scale on that map is in 15 degree
                                              >blocks.
                                              >
                                              >The locations of the Majors are my own interpretation, especially when it
                                              >comes to dominion and sway. Around labour day, when I made this map, I
                                              >was discussing this question with Robert and Tom. The current maps show
                                              >the Majors as shapeless blobs which overlap a lot of real world
                                              >locations. Also, they seem too close to the core to me. I thought the
                                              >megazones were mostly on the rim of the galaxy?
                                              >
                                              >We never finished our discussion, but I think that we have the authority
                                              >to alter the locations slightly, so that they make more sense in the
                                              >context of the EPG. Just so long as we don't alter anything major
                                              >(ha!). I'm pretty sure I've got the Majors in the correct order around
                                              >the rim, but there seems to be some confusion about this. I based the
                                              >size of the dominions and sways on the information in the RPG beta.
                                              >
                                              >Jeremy Hussell
                                              >
                                              >P.S. If anyone else wants their empire added to the map, send me your
                                              >empire's website address and real world location. I plan to update the
                                              >map over the christmas holidays.
                                              >
                                              >P.P.S. While I'm thinking about this, I'd like to nominate Lorena Meklar,
                                              >formerly of the SQT, now of the Tuathan, for "Best Female
                                              >Character". Everyone else I want has already been nominated. When will
                                              >the voting begin?

                                              http://profiles.msn.com
                                            • Franklin Vittoe
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 18, 2000
                                                I gotta quick question...alot of the SM's that have been nominated have been
                                                cooperative efforts...am I correct in assuming that if an SM that was a
                                                cooperative effort between two or more people, than all of the contributing
                                                authors will recieve credit for the award?...just wondering...

                                                Frank

                                                http://profiles.msn.com