STAR'S END Update 01.04.09

  • Chuck van Zyl
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2008
      Recording as Under the Radar contemporary instrumentalist
      Richard Souther combines his accumulated knowledge of
      music into an intriguing listening experience. His album I WAS
      THERE I TRAVELED BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN (50'31")
      takes its cues from modern electronica, but delivers unique
      compositions that go beyond the basic premise of sampled
      grooves, stock atmospherics and the spliced up re-ordering of
      glitches. A digital immigrant, Souther still likes to play dramatic
      lead lines, make surprising tempo changes and ramp up his
      tunes with the occasional drum kit run. His works are
      meticulously conceived and arranged - but never glossy. Each of
      the 15 tracks are complete intelligent statements in and of
      themselves, moving easily from classically laced and
      jazz-influenced contemporary to the experimental and textural, on
      to the cinematic and grandiose, and finally settling easily into the
      solitude of ambient. The music swells and sinks and the entire
      collection proves to be a powerfully expressive as well as inviting
      musical journey. I WAS THERE I TRAVELED BUT I CAN'T
      REMEMBER WHEN is that rare recording that perfectly sums up
      what an artist stands for.

      Tune in to STAR'S END this weekend for music from the CD I
      WAS THERE I TRAVELED BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN by
      Under the Radar

      For more on Richard Souther, access:
      http://www.richardsouther.com

      -

      Musical Highlights of 2008 Part One

      This weekend, STAR'S END presents the annual Year in Review
      show which will feature the significant releases of 2008 (Part
      One).

      -

      Chuck van Zyl Live At The Philadelphia Museum of Art Friday 2
      January 2009

      Chuck van Zyl will perform a live concert of electronic
      soundscapes, while yoga instructors lead attendees in
      therapeutic stretching and posing, within the remarkable setting
      of The Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday 2 January 2009. His
      solo concert at Art After 5 will feature van Zyl's trademark mastery
      of synthesized timbres and ethereal atmospheres. The unique
      setting of PMA's Great Stair Hall will provide plenty of room to
      savor each gorgeously sculpted tone. Never thin, always
      uncluttered, sumptuous minor key drones and spare melodies
      will sonically compliment the yoga moves being carried out
      within the performance space.

      For more about "Art After 5" at The Philadelphia Museum of Art,
      please access: http://www.philamuseum.org

      For more on Chuck van Zyl, please access:
      http://www.chuckvanzyl.com

      -

      Highs in the 70s - Annual Progressive Rock Edition

      Highs in the 70s is WXPN's monthly radio show hosted by Dan
      Reed and features an eclectic mix of music drawn from the
      decade of the 1970s. Dan does a great job finding and spinning
      everything from forgotten favorites, rare finds and one hit
      wonders to music legend deep cuts along with the obscure yet
      influential music of this era. Whether it's an A to Z decade
      overview or a year by year rundown, Highs in the 70s is an
      ever-expanding retrospective of the significant music realized
      during this expansive period in contemporary music - plus it's
      alot of fun to listen to.

      The annual intensive look at the Prog-Rock genre of the 1970s
      will air on WXPN from 10:00AM to 6:00PM on Saturday 3 January
      2009 and will feature timeless classics alongside obscure relics
      of the Progressive Rock genre. Programme host Dan Reed will
      be joined by industry insider Biff Kennedy, ECHOES host John
      Diliberto and STAR'S END host Chuck van Zyl. Tune in to WXPN
      this Saturday for eight hours of great Art Rock music on Highs in
      the 70s.

      For more about Highs in the 70s with Dan Reed, access:
      http://www.xpn.org

      -

      STAR'S END 30th Anniversary Anthology CD

      To mark 30 years of continuous broadcast of STAR'S END,
      WXPN has released the STAR'S END 30th Anniversary Anthology
      CD. This double CD contains over 120 minutes of live music
      from 12 renowned artists. The unique performances were culled
      from on-air in-studio radio concerts by some of our community's
      greatest talents. Included on the disc are previously unreleased
      live selections donated by: The Ministry of Inside Things, Orbital
      Decay, Ian Boddy, AirSculpture, Radio Massacre International,
      Robert Rich, Rudy Adrian, Jonn Serrie, Jeff Pearce, Saul Stokes
      and Steve Roach.

      The STAR'S END 30th Anniversary Anthology CD is available for
      a $60 donation to WXPN, which includes membership and all of
      its benefits (current WXPN members can receive the STAR'S
      END 30th Anniversary Anthology CD for a $25 donation). Call
      1-800-565-WXPN for details.

      Thanks very much for your support!

      -

      STAR'S END broadcasts every Saturday night/Sunday morning
      from 1am-6am (EST) on:

      88.5fm WXPN Philadelphia, PA
      88.7fm WXPH Middletown, York and Lancaster, PA
      90.5fm Worton/Baltimore, MD
      99.7fm Harrisburg, PA
      104.9fm Lehigh Valley, PA
      W285DH Whitehall, PA