Asterism in Auriga [7Nov2002]

  • msmythii
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2002
      Last night while looking through Auriga for
      M36 and M38 with 8.5x42 binoculars I came
      across a binocular asterism located SSW of
      M38. It is centered on RA 5h 27.5m / Dec +35
      degrees. I viewed it at ~10p EST. The object
      is made up of 8 stars ranging in magnitude
      from 5.08 (phi Aur) to 6.86 (TYC 2411-515-1).
      The entire asterism can fit inside a 2°
      circle. This asterism looks like a face -- 2
      eyes (mags 6.15 & 6.52) and 6 stars for the
      mouth. I am calling it "Cheshire Cat" ...
      unless, of course, there is another Cheshire
      Cat up there. Is so then I would call it Frog
      Face keeping with the alliterative theme. The
      face is oriented "properly" at this time of
      night/year.

      If this asterism has been named already
      please let me know if the details exist
      somewhere.

      Also, on the left edge of the "smile" (nearer
      to M38) is the eclipsing binary star LY
      Aurigae which varies from 6.7 - 7.4 with a
      period of 4.002 days.

      Let me know what you think.

      Ben Cacace
      Manhattan, NYC

      P.S. - with the binoculars M36 was an easy
      target. M38 was not an obvious open
      cluster.
    • Carol Lakomiak
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2002
        Hi Ben, Stock 8 is right there.. might that be it?
        :-)
        Carol

        --- In starrynights@y..., "msmythii" <msmythii@y...> wrote:
        > Last night while looking through Auriga for
        > M36 and M38 with 8.5x42 binoculars I came
        > across a binocular asterism located SSW of
        > M38. It is centered on RA 5h 27.5m / Dec +35
        > degrees. I viewed it at ~10p EST. The object
        > is made up of 8 stars ranging in magnitude
        > from 5.08 (phi Aur) to 6.86 (TYC 2411-515-1).
        > The entire asterism can fit inside a 2°
        > circle. This asterism looks like a face -- 2
        > eyes (mags 6.15 & 6.52) and 6 stars for the
        > mouth. I am calling it "Cheshire Cat" ...
        > unless, of course, there is another Cheshire
        > Cat up there. Is so then I would call it Frog
        > Face keeping with the alliterative theme. The
        > face is oriented "properly" at this time of
        > night/year.
        >
        > If this asterism has been named already
        > please let me know if the details exist
        > somewhere.
        >
        > Also, on the left edge of the "smile" (nearer
        > to M38) is the eclipsing binary star LY
        > Aurigae which varies from 6.7 - 7.4 with a
        > period of 4.002 days.
        >
        > Let me know what you think.
        >
        > Ben Cacace
        > Manhattan, NYC
        >
        > P.S. - with the binoculars M36 was an easy
        > target. M38 was not an obvious open
        > cluster.
      • rwzzz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2002
          "--- In starrynights@y..., "msmythii" <msmythii@y...> wrote:
          Last night while looking through Auriga for
          M36 and M38 with 8.5x42 binoculars I came
          across a binocular asterism located SSW of
          M38. ......... Let me know what you think.
          Ben Cacace"

          Ben

          I checked this out last night. To me it looks just like a grinning
          toad face. Pretty neat.

          Bob Zeoli
          Pa