Starman #75

  • shade_of_opal
    Message 1 of 447 , Jan 4, 2001
      I'm both glad and disappointed that I didn't buy
      this book a long time ago. I'm glad because I've had
      the chance to read so much Starman is so little time
      and therefore, when references are made to past
      issues, they're that much more fresh in my mind. I
      haven't had to endure the suspense month by month as I
      wait for continuations.<br><br> I'm sorry that I've
      been neglecting Starman for this long because now that
      I love Starman, I want to have to wait for issues
      and such. I want new material. I've taken Starman for
      granted.<br><br> Superman by Robinson and Snejbjerg was as good as
      I'd pictured him. It makes me almost wish that
      Snejbjerg would go to a Superman title when he's finished
      with Starman, or (at least,) do some fill in issues
      for JSA. If Sadowski (God forbid!) ever needs to take
      an issue or two off, I want Snejbjerg right in
      there! His Superman was clear and the facial expressions
      were well done. Robinson wrote him very heroicly...
      very nice. Full of wonder and honesty. Robinson is no
      Jeph Loeb when it comes to Superman, but I'll be
      damned if he isn't just as good as any other Superman
      writer we ever had in 60 years.<br><br> I used to miss
      Tony Harris. I still do. I wish Harris were still
      doing Starman... even if it's just for the final five
      issues. I wish he'd at least do covers. Oh well.
      Snejbjerg is an excellent choice to replace him, and Andrew
      Robinson's covers certainly serve their purpose.<br><br> I
      liked seeing Jack with his son, and I liked the final
      page. I'm dying to know the secrets of how Jack and
      David talk and where they go, etc. "Next Issue: Talking
      with David (...and Ted) 2000" should be 2001, but I
      really don't care. The issue was stupendous. If the rest
      of the issues are this good, I'll be glad that
      Starman ended good, on its own terms, as compared to some
      other less fortunate titles.<br><br> 11 stars out of
      10.
    • c_midnite
      Message 447 of 447 , Mar 5 5:48 PM
        Well, it is slow here so I will reply to this last substantive
        message.

        --- In starman@y..., jn471 wrote:
        > So ? Anybody disagree with the new change, I'm
        > only thirteen and just when I got into starman it
        > ended,

        Cool. I wish Starman had been around when I was younger. Of course,
        I was reading about his dad & company in All Star Squadron back in
        the mid-80's when I was your age. And without them we may never have
        met Jack & friends.

        > but I do read about it online, so I'm caught up,
        > I also picked up the last issue.... what do you
        > think's going to happen to Jack Knight, Sadfdie Frost
        > (that's her nme right) and Star-Spangled kid ? I mean why
        > did he pick her, yes I know when the JLA was changed
        > into kids and she was turned into an adult she was
        > very mature but, why didn't he choose someone else ?

        Several reasons probably.

        - The primary writers of those two characters work together.
        - She is a member of the JSA & Ted looked after her.
        - The original Star Spangled Kid was an interim, if you will,
        Starman. I think he was at some point (either in the DCU or our
        world, if not both) destined to be Ted's sucessor.

        I really miss Jack, but I can honestly say I was happy how it all
        wrapped up. I am so glad they got to finish the stories they
        wanted. At least in part you could see that some of these plotlines
        were planned from the very beggining.

        Sean