Star Trek Maverick

  • Wouldnt you like to know?
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Well folks, here it is, the premise for my fanfic Star Trek Maverick.

      Please let me know what you think, and if there are any continuity
      discrepancies (or spelling problems -- you'll see)

      Thanks

      Setting - 25 years after the events in Star Trek Nemesis
      The events in 'nemesis' and in the dominion war have led to not only
      a restructuring of the United Federation of Planets, but an
      integration of the Klingon, Romulan, Bajoran, Cardassian, and
      Ferengi into the Allied Galactic Federation (organized in such a way
      that each empire or government is still a group unto themselves, but
      they now answer to the AGF, such as the Romulan Senate, the Klingon
      High Council and Emperor, etc.). The integrations are slow, and, as
      in all times of extreme social change, there are not only upheavals,
      but uprisings as well. Rebel and terrorist groups have given way to
      a growing black market and organized crime. But as things change,
      things still stay the same. Starfleet is still very much the power
      that it was, if not greater, but now, is combined with the Klingon,
      Romulan, and Cardassian fleets and armadas. Also, with combining
      efforts, sciences and technologies, comes new advances, and, for the
      last decade, scientists from throughout the new federation have been
      working toward a new type of vessel with a new technology which
      would blow ordinary warp drive out of the water, to no end. Then,
      after five years of nothing, a 20 year old Cardassian girl named
      Z'Drell Luran, who was a prodigy, invented the "slingshot" drive,
      which would, when combined with the warp drive, generate a wormhole
      along a line-of-sight trajectory, allowing a vessel to traverse
      distances in seconds that could only be previously reached in a
      matter of hours at maximum warp. With this new technology comes the
      new Zeta Squadron of the new Quantum Class of ships, led by the
      first out of the assembly bay, the prototype USS Maverick NCC-
      12785. Of course, with this prototype class ship comes a whole new
      crew, the best and brightest that the New Starfleet has to offer.
      After the last few years of training missions, four years worth of
      newly and recently graduated cadets comprise the Maverick's entire
      crew save one; her captain, a 55 year veteran Trill captain Barani
      Lo'Ken. The Maverick is a small ship with a crew of less than fifty.
      (I'm still working out the exact designs of the ship, but,
      basically, what I'm thinking is to have the body egg shaped, like
      the saucer section of the Voyager, with the twin warp
      nacells/necells/nay-cells[anyone know how to spell that word?]
      tucked just under the port and starboard edges of the ship, and
      hinged so that they can tuck up under the belly of the ship inline
      with the dorsal slingshot neysell [now I'm not even trying to spell
      it right] to activate the slingshot drive, all three of these . . .
      you know whats would be on a wing unit detachable from the body of
      the ship in case of overload or malfunction or other general screw
      up)

      Our story opens just prior to her maiden voyage, where we meet her
      crew. The second in command is K`Tar Morei, a Bajorean boy who was,
      at 15, the youngest graduate of Starfleet Academy in history, and
      now, at 19, is the youngest first officer in fleet history as well.

      The Second Officer and Chief Science Officer is Valcius J'Rok, a 22
      year old Romulan son of an ex-senator-turned-federation-objector,
      who joined up mostly to annoy his father.

      The Chief Engineer is Stewart 'Mac' McKenzie, 21,a technical genius
      who, at 6, was captured by the borg, assimilated into the collective
      and had over 65% of his body replaced with robotics and implants,
      and then at 9 was rescued by a freighter pilot who later legally
      adopted him. Over 98% of the borg technology has been removed from
      Stewart's body, over half of it by him, and has been replaced by him
      with devices of his own creation. He is confined to a wheel chair.

      The Ship's doctor is Xota Freen, 23, the first Ferengi medical
      officer in Starfleet, also the first Ferengi woman in Starfleet, and
      a member of the Ferengi Women`s Suffrage Movement.

      The Chief of Security and Tactical is Lilian Riker, 20, (yes, that
      Riker, who is now Admiral, also Troi's daughter, too) twice as tough
      as her father and twice as beautiful as her mother. The first non-
      Klingon to compete in a batlef [spelling] tournement (she placed
      third).

      Chief Navigator is K'Arkana, 20, daughter of (now emperor) Worf (and
      Ezri). She and Lilian have been best friends all through the academy.

      Upon her initial test voyage, the ship is attacked by pirates
      immediately after leaving it's artificial wormhole, it's crew
      knocked out, and stripped for parts. The power wing, warp core, and
      computer processing core are all taken, the ship is left floating
      dead, and the captain is mortally wounded.

      The Doctor manages to save the Captain's symbiote for the time
      being, but as there are no other whole trill on board, the only one
      who can carry it is K'Arkana, but her genetics complicate things and
      instead of her personality merging with those of the previous hosts,
      her personality remains intact, but the personalities of the
      previous hosts are manifesting themselves as hallucinations. To
      begin with, only Barani is appearing to K'Arkana, but others are
      beginning to come out, and some are haunting her.

      Meanwhile, Morei is not ready to take the reigns, and Valcius is
      fighting him for control.

      Mac manages to find a temporary replacement for the processor core;
      his own brain. He also manages to use the shield generators to
      create a small, low level warp field to help them get home faster.

      They have no long range sensors, communications, or munitions.

      Now they have to get home, or to the nearest friendly system.
    • Maggie
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
        I just joined the group and think your premise sounds great! I'd love
        to read your stories. I do find it interesting that all your
        characters are so young. No experienced hands?

        I write stories of the orginal crew - emphasis on Sulu and Chekov. If
        anyone is interested, they can be found at http://trekpersonalspace.net/

        Maggie ;o)

        --- In starfleetblueprintarchive@yahoogroups.com, "Wouldnt you like to