656Re: Help new setting

  • Andrew
    Jul 13, 2010
      I agree that technology is the least important thing about this setting. It simply does not seem to fit to have the characters fluff about trying to make things work or argueing over the various merits of this gun over that gun.

      This makes me think of an Aspect for the whole setting:

      Everything just works as designed.

      This has obvious positive uses. The characters can just pick up anything and have confidence that, unless it is completely broken, it will do what it is supposed to do. Anywhere. Any time.

      It also has some good negative implications that could be brought out, just by changing the emphasis in the sentence. Everything works, just. So garbled messages, clunky devices. It could also mean 'just in time', as in: you pull the lever to perform some act and, sure enough, it won't actually activate until the last possible second.

      --- In starblazeradventures@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Nicol <douglas_nicol@...> wrote:

      > The 30's idea sounds good.
      >
      > Likely sources of inspiration include the following...
      >
      > The Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers
      > TSR's old Buck Rogers XXVc setting
      > The 80's Flash Gordon film
      > Dan Dare
      > The Trigan Empire comic strip
      > Sky Captain
      > Also Dune at least in terms of the general look
      >
      > Technology should look retro, maybe an art deco touch, lots of metallic
      > ideas. Decadent outfits (Issue 16 or 17-The Secret of Soma shows Earth
      > officials in retro dress). I'd personally say ditch a lot of the really
      > high tech stuff and go back to basics.
      >
      > Douglas
      >
      > Andrew wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chris,
      > >
      > > Sorry if the last message was garbled. And sorry for the long absence.
      > > Your last message, though I cannot help, was a spur to start talking.
      > >
      > > Here's the thing, we want to develop a retro-future game setting.
      > > Using SB terminology it is set in the Cosmopolitan era. Our
      > > inspiration is the 1930's Flash Gordon stories.
      > >
      > > Now I don't have a specific question here. I just want to throw out to
      > > our small community the thought and hope to elicit ideas on developing
      > > this setting.
      > >
      > > Andrew

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic