star analyzer + eyepiece projection

  • deepinthesky2003
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 22, 2009
      Hello !

      I jsut thought I should ask here in case someone else is also
      interested .
      In Robin's website
      http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectroscopy_4.htm
      we can see a way to do eyepiece projection .

      Robin could you please tell us what was the eyepiece projection
      adaptor ? Did you use anthing else besides that ?

      Thank you in advance
      Alexandros Filothodoros
    • ken4optics
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 22, 2009
        I'm sure Robin will give more detail.
        For the eyepiece projection housing, any of the Orion/ Celestron etc
        would probably do.
        It's basically holding the eyepiece ( with the slit mounted inside)
        and allowing the SA grating and camera to be hold firmly behind the
        eyepiece.
        --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, "deepinthesky2003"
        <deepinthesky2003@...> wrote:

        > Hello !
        >
        > I jsut thought I should ask here in case someone else is also
        > interested .
        > In Robin's website
        > http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectroscopy_4.htm
        > we can see a way to do eyepiece projection .
        >
        > Robin could you please tell us what was the eyepiece projection
        > adaptor ? Did you use anthing else besides that ?
        >
        > Thank you in advance
        > Alexandros Filothodoros

      • Robin Leadbeater
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 22, 2009
          Hi Alexandros,

          I added the eyepiece to allow me to use a slit. The eyepiece is used to
          focus the image of the slit onto the CCD. The telescope focus is then
          adjusted to bring the star spectrum into focus.

          The tube I used came as part of an eyepiece projection adapter that came
          with my Vixen scope. The diameter is just large enough to take the
          eyepiece. It has a 1.25 inch eyepiece holder at one end to take the webcam
          with the Star Analyser mounted on the nosepiece. At the other end I added
          three clamping screws to hold the slit. (the slit is positioned slightly off
          axis so the zero order is at the edge of the CCD.) I modified the ingoing
          side of the slit to fit into the telescope 1.25 inch eyepeice adapater. The
          eyepiece fits in the tube between the grating and the slit.

          You need to make sure the tube you use is long enough. The slit and the CCD
          each need to be 2x the eyepiece focal length away from the focal plane of
          the eyepiece. ie the distance from grating to CCD is 100mm in my case. I
          used a 25mm Vixen Lanthanum eyepiece which has a large eye relief. You can
          also unscrew the barrel on this eyepiece leaving just the lens assembly.
          This all helped to get the distances right. You will need to check if your
          eyepiece will work ok. (You can make one distance a bit smaller and the
          other a bit larger but note this will change the magnification of the slit
          and star image)

          You can see a better engineered version and the diagram of the optical path
          here.
          http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_33.htm
          In this version I removed the eyepiece barrel and used spacers either side
          of the eyepeice to hold it in position. The adapter to the telescope is also
          improved by using part of an old webcam adapter bolted to the ingoing side
          of the adjustable slit.

          It works quite well at reducing the about of sky background and for taking
          spectra of extended objects but the eyepiece introduces some chromatic
          aberation and it still suffers from the resolution limitations of the
          standard Star Analyser setup of having the grating in the converging beam.

          Best Regards
          Robin

          > I jsut thought I should ask here in case someone else is also
          > interested .
          > In Robin's website
          > http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectroscopy_4.htm
          > we can see a way to do eyepiece projection .
          >
          > Robin could you please tell us what was the eyepiece projection
          > adaptor ? Did you use anthing else besides that ?
          >
          > Thank you in advance
          > Alexandros Filothodoros

        • Robin Leadbeater
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 22, 2009
            Correction:

            That should read:

            ie the distance from SLIT to CCD is 100mm in my case.

            Robin

            > You need to make sure the tube you use is long enough. The slit and the
            > CCD
            > each need to be 2x the eyepiece focal length away from the focal plane of
            > the eyepiece. ie the distance from grating to CCD is 100mm in my case.
          • MALEKOS ALEKARAS
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 22, 2009
              Thank you all for your help .
                You have helped me a lot .
                 I might add a wedge prism as well .
               I' ll start making the plans and as soon as my semester exams are over I will start the construction .
                 Once again thank you very much .

                Best regards
                 Alexandros

              deepinthesky2003

              --- Στις Πέμ., 22/01/09, ο/η Robin Leadbeater <robin@...> έγραψε:
              Από: Robin Leadbeater <robin@...>
              Θέμα: Re: [staranalyser] star analyzer + eyepiece projection
              Προς: staranalyser@yahoogroups.com
              Ημερομηνία: Πέμπτη, 22 Ιανουάριος 2009, 17:13

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                Snowed in in London so did this mock - used a positive focal reducer
                before grating and ex-cine lens to image spectrum onto sensor so
                light through grating is collimated. Cine lenses probably cheap
                nowerdays. coll=100mm fl f/7.5 camlens=20mm fl f/1.4 so 'wide'
                slit ~x5 pixel size =~50 micron. Does that sound about right?

                http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2903278-
                newspope.jpg

                Nytecam

                --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, MALEKOS ALEKARAS
                <deepinthesky2003@...> wrote:

                > Thank you all for your help .
                >
                >   You have helped me a lot .
                >    I might add a wedge prism as well .
                >  I' ll start making the plans and as soon as my semester exams
                are over I will start the construction .
                >    Once again thank you very much .
                >
                >   Best regards
                >    Alexandros
                >

                > deepinthesky2003
                >
                > --- Στις Πέμ., 22/01/09, ο/η Robin Leadbeater <robin@...>
                έγραψε:

                > Î`πό: Robin Leadbeater <robin@...>
                > Θέμα: Re: [staranalyser] star analyzer + eyepiece projection
                > Προς: staranalyser@yahoogroups.com
                > Ημερομηνία: Πέμπτη, 22 Ιανουάριος 2009,
                17:13

                > Correction:
                >
                > That should read:
                >
                > ie the distance from SLIT to CCD is 100mm in my case.
                >
                > Robin

                (spam); Το Yahoo! Mail
                > διαθέτει την καλύτερη δυνατή
                προστασία κατά των ενοχλητικών
                > μηνυμάτων http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

              • staranalyser
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Hi Nytecam,

                  I expect you are well and truly snowed in now (luckily we have
                  escaped the worst of it in this corner of the UK so far) but I
                  wondered if you got the chance to try this configuration on the sky?

                  Robin

                  --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, "nytecam" <mgavin@...> wrote:

                  > Snowed in in London so did this mock - used a positive focal
                  reducer
                  > before grating and ex-cine lens to image spectrum onto sensor so
                  > light through grating is collimated. Cine lenses probably cheap
                  > nowerdays. coll=100mm fl f/7.5 camlens=20mm fl f/1.4 so 'wide'
                  > slit ~x5 pixel size =~50 micron. Does that sound about right?
                  >
                  > http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2903278-
                  > newspope.jpg
                  >
                  > Nytecam

                • Olivier Thizy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Hello,

                    I have been surprised to see snow falling down this morning in London. I'm at AstroFest (Ian King Imaging booth) showing our new echelle spectrograph but also star analysers! :-)

                    Maurice or robin, any chance to see you down here?

                    Cordialement,
                    Olivier Thizy
                    Shelyak Instruments
                    Address: Les Roussets, 38420 Revel, France
                    Phone: +33.(0)4.76.41.36.81
                    Mobile: +33.(0)6.89.92.74.23
                    Web: http://www.shelyak.com
                    ...vous ne verrez plus les étoiles comme avant !

                    staranalyser a écrit :

                    Hi Nytecam,

                    I expect you are well and truly snowed in now (luckily we have
                    escaped the worst of it in this corner of the UK so far) but I
                    wondered if you got the chance to try this configuration on the sky?

                    Robin

                    --- In staranalyser@ yahoogroups. com, "nytecam" <mgavin@...> wrote:

                    > Snowed in in London so did this mock - used a positive focal
                    reducer
                    > before grating and ex-cine lens to image spectrum onto sensor so
                    > light through grating is collimated. Cine lenses probably cheap
                    > nowerdays. coll=100mm fl f/7.5 camlens=20mm fl f/1.4 so 'wide'
                    > slit ~x5 pixel size =~50 micron. Does that sound about right?
                    >
                    > http://www.cloudyni ghts.com/ ubbthreads/ attachments/ 2903278-
                    > newspope.jpg
                    >
                    > Nytecam

                    Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a été contrôlé par l'anti-virus mail.
                    Aucun virus connu à ce jour par nos services n'a été détecté.

                  • deepinthesky2003
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 13, 2009
                      Hello mates !

                      Do you think that using a toUcam will limit the manitude less than
                      3 ?
                      I'm thinking that I already have a spectrograph with a 250
                      lines/mm .So I might go for a grating with bigger dispersion like the
                      500 lines/mm from DG .It also comes with a software that seems nice .
                      The spectrum image might be undersampled but I could make it wider
                      later while processing .
                      I'll be looking for a beam splitter so that I can direct the image
                      if the slit and allow me to guide and use a DSLR to catch the spectru
                      m. Sth like Ken's .
                      However I've never done it before so it will be difficult to make
                      one .

                      It's nice designing spectrographs and trying to find solutions to
                      the problems that come with designing .

                      Grretings from Greece
                      Alex

                      --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, "staranalyser" <robin@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Nytecam,
                      >
                      > I expect you are well and truly snowed in now (luckily we have
                      > escaped the worst of it in this corner of the UK so far) but I
                      > wondered if you got the chance to try this configuration on the
                      sky?

                      > Robin
                      >
                      > --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, "nytecam" <mgavin@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Snowed in in London so did this mock - used a positive focal
                      > reducer
                      > > before grating and ex-cine lens to image spectrum onto sensor so
                      > > light through grating is collimated. Cine lenses probably cheap
                      > > nowerdays. coll=100mm fl f/7.5 camlens=20mm fl f/1.4 so 'wide'
                      > > slit ~x5 pixel size =~50 micron. Does that sound about right?
                      > >
                      > > http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2903278-
                      > > newspope.jpg
                      > >
                      > > Nytecam

                    • staranalyser
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 13, 2009
                        Hi Alex,

                        Please keep in mind that this group is for discussions about the
                        Star Analyser and applications using it. To keep discussions on
                        topic, more general questions on spectroscopy and spectrograph
                        designs not using the Star Analyser are best directed to the other
                        Yahoo groups, spectro-l or amateur_spectroscopy.

                        To answer your questions as they relate to the Star Analyser:

                        How faint you can go depends on other factors besides the
                        sensitivity of the camera and your telescope aperture.

                        1. The efficiency of the the spectrograph. For simple systems like
                        the standard Star Analyser setup this is dominated by the efficiency
                        of the grating. (The Star Analyser has good efficiency. There are
                        many gratings around less efficient than the Star Analyser)

                        2. The dispersion. The more you spread the light out, the fainter
                        the spectrum, so as you go up in dispersion your sensitivity goes
                        down. (Note that increasing dispersion eg by increasing the number
                        of lines in the grating does not necessarily mean increased
                        resolution. This also depends on the optical design of the
                        spectrograph.)

                        3. With a slitless design and faint objects using long exposures,
                        the amount of light pollution you have. This reduces the contrast
                        between the spectrum and the background.

                        Here are some examples of what you can achieve with a Star Analyser
                        and an unmodified Toucam.

                        I took this the spectrum of Gamma Cas on this page from Sir Patrick
                        Moore's urban back garden
                        http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_12.htm

                        This spectrum of mag 3.4 Delta Vir was taken using an 80mm aperture.
                        http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_14.htm

                        a larger aperture would go lower. You can find other examples in the
                        files section. As a general guide, with the Star Analyser you need a
                        star 5-6 magnitudes brighter than you can image so if you can
                        detect mag 10 say with your Toucam you should be able to measure a
                        spectrum of a mag 4-5 star
                        Note that this depends very much on the efficiency of the grating.
                        These figures apply to the Star analyser used in its normal
                        configuration.

                        When I look at the DG gratings website, I remember what Carl Sagan
                        said:
                        "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence"
                        There are many claims on their website which spectroscopists would
                        find extaordinary. Unfortunately there is very little evidence
                        (extraordinary or otherwise) on the website site or elsewhere on the
                        web form users which backs them up.

                        If you are interested in spectrograph design I would recommend a
                        visit to Christian Buil's website.
                        http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/

                        Best Regards
                        Robin
                        (moderator)

                        <deepinthesky2003@...> wrote:

                        > Hello mates !
                        >
                        > Do you think that using a toUcam will limit the manitude less
                        than
                        > 3 ?
                        > I'm thinking that I already have a spectrograph with a 250
                        > lines/mm .So I might go for a grating with bigger dispersion like
                        the
                        > 500 lines/mm from DG .It also comes with a software that seems
                        nice .
                        > The spectrum image might be undersampled but I could make it
                        wider
                        > later while processing .
                        > I'll be looking for a beam splitter so that I can direct the
                        image
                        > if the slit and allow me to guide and use a DSLR to catch the
                        spectru
                        > m. Sth like Ken's .
                        > However I've never done it before so it will be difficult to
                        make
                        > one .
                        >
                        > It's nice designing spectrographs and trying to find solutions
                        > the problems that come with designing .
                        >
                        > Grretings from Greece
                        > Alex

                      • MALEKOS ALEKARAS
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2009
                          I think that I should apologise fro hijacking the group .

                           Thank you very much for the answers .

                           Greetings from Greece
                              Alex

                          deepinthesky2003

                          --- Στις Παρ., 13/02/09, ο/η staranalyser <robin@...> έγραψε:
                          Από: staranalyser <robin@...>
                          Θέμα: [staranalyser] Re: General spectrograph quesions [WAS : star analyzer + eyepiece projection]
                          Προς: staranalyser@yahoogroups.com
                          Ημερομηνία: Παρασκευή, 13 Φεβρουάριος 2009, 17:41

                          <deepinthesky2003@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hello mates !
                          >
                          > Do you think that using a toUcam will limit the manitude less
                          than
                          > 3 ?
                          > I'm thinking that I already have a spectrograph with a 250
                          > lines/mm .So I might go for a grating with bigger dispersion like
                          the
                          > 500 lines/mm from DG .It also comes with a software that seems
                          nice .
                          > The spectrum image might be undersampled but I could make it
                          wider
                          > later while processing .
                          > I'll be looking for a beam splitter so that I can direct the
                          image
                          > if the slit and allow me to guide and use a DSLR to catch the
                          spectru
                          > m. Sth like Ken's .
                          > However I've never done it before so it will be difficult to
                          make
                          > one .
                          >
                          > It's nice designing spectrographs and trying to find solutions
                          > the problems that come with designing .
                          >
                          > Grretings from Greece
                          > Alex

                          Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!
                        • nytecam
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 15, 2009
                            Good to see you Olivier at Astrofest and here's my Youtube video
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2oVGMvf8jo in which you feature
                            together with a general overview of this annual event.

                            Nytecam

                            --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, Olivier Thizy
                            <Olivier.Thizy@...> wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >

                            > I have been surprised to see snow falling down this morning in
                            London.
                            > I'm at AstroFest (Ian King Imaging booth) showing our new echelle
                            > spectrograph but also star analysers! :-)
                            >
                            > Maurice or robin, any chance to see you down here?
                            >

                            > Cordialement,
                            >
                            > Olivier Thizy
                            > Shelyak Instruments
                            > Address: Les Roussets, 38420 Revel, France
                            > Phone: +33.(0)4.76.41.36.81
                            > Mobile: +33.(0)6.89.92.74.23
                            > Web: http://www.shelyak.com
                            > ...vous ne verrez plus les étoiles comme avant !
                            >

                            > staranalyser a écrit :
                            > >
                            > > Hi Nytecam,
                            > >
                            > > I expect you are well and truly snowed in now (luckily we have
                            > > escaped the worst of it in this corner of the UK so far) but I
                            > > wondered if you got the chance to try this configuration on the
                            sky?

                            > > Robin
                            > >
                            > > --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com
                            > > <mailto:staranalyser%40yahoogroups.com>, "nytecam" <mgavin@>
                            wrote:

                            > > > Snowed in in London so did this mock - used a positive focal
                            > > reducer
                            > > > before grating and ex-cine lens to image spectrum onto sensor
                            so
                            > > > light through grating is collimated. Cine lenses probably cheap
                            > > > nowerdays. coll=100mm fl f/7.5 camlens=20mm fl f/1.4 so 'wide'
                            > > > slit ~x5 pixel size =~50 micron. Does that sound about right?
                            > > >
                            > > > http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2903278-
                            > > <http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/2903278->
                            > > > newspope.jpg
                            > > >
                            > > > Nytecam

                            ----------------------
                            > > Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a été contrôlé par l'anti-
                            virus mail.
                            > > Aucun virus connu à ce jour par nos services n'a été détecté.

                          • Marcelo Rios
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 16, 2009
                              Hola amigos
                              les ajunto el link de un espectro logrado de Eta Carinae.

                              Saludos

                              Marcelo Rios

                              Yahoo! Cocina
                              Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
                              Visitá http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/
                            • Robin Leadbeater
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 16, 2009
                                Very interesting Marcelo,

                                Ha is very clear.  Eta Carinae has just passed periastron which changed the spectrum. I wonder if you can see any change?

                                Best Regards
                                Robin

                                Google español

                                Marcelo muy interesante,

                                Ha es muy claro. Eta Carinae acaba de pasar periastron que pasó el espectro. Me pregunto si se puede ver algún cambio?

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 25, 2009
                                  Marcelo,
                                  Could you supply me with a copy of the Vspec .spc file for the EtaCar
                                  spectra in this paper?
                                  I've collected additional spectra from some of the guys on the "Ice
                                  in Space" forum in Australia, and what I have differs significantly
                                  from the one you show. ie the ramp up to the Ha and a line reversal
                                  around 4860A... this may be interesting.
                                  Please drop me an email.
                                  Ken
                                  --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Rios <clarion2010@...>

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 25, 2009
                                    Hi Ken, Marcelo,

                                    I think something might have gone wrong with the conversion to a
                                    graph. If I take the raw spectrum image shown in the paper, convert
                                    it to mono using IRIS and convert it to a graph using Vspec
                                    (subtracting the background) I get the spectrum shown here
                                    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/staranalyser/files/User_Folders/ro
                                    bin_staranalyser/Marcelo_Rios_etacar_mono_wlcal.gif
                                    Does this agree better with the "Ice in Space" spectra Ken?

                                    Robin

                                    --- In staranalyser@yahoogroups.com, "ken4optics"

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 25, 2009
                                      Robin,
                                      Yes is the basic answer!
                                      The "hump" at the Ha has dissapeared and the rest of the spectra
                                      basically matches the ones we have of the 300109 and 200209.
                                      Many thanks,
                                      ken
                                      - we do show that the Ha peak has a "secondary" in late Jan, which
                                      appears to "fade" by 20 Feb.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 25, 2009
                                        ken / robin
                                        eta car download in my folder

                                        marcelo

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 26, 2009
                                          Hello Marcelo,

                                          I have processed your eta_car.jpg and put my result in your folder
                                          eta-car_psp_rot_48-16bit_bgsub_wlcal_norm6200.gif

                                          I think there was a problem when you converted from colour to
                                          monochrome when you made the graph for your paper. Some programs
                                          change the balance between blue green and red. It looks like the
                                          blue and green have been reduced and the red has been increased in
                                          your graph. I used IRIS and the "digital photo" "48 to 16 bit"
                                          function which I think keeps the relative intensities of the colours
                                          the same.

                                          You could correct further for the camera response by measuring a
                                          known star.

                                          Best Regards
                                          Robin

                                          wrote:

                                          > ken / robin
                                          > eta car download in my folder

                                          rcelo%20Rios/

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 28, 2009
                                            Hello Robin
                                            It again processes to the image using Iris, I am far better. I put it in my folder like eta-2.jpg
                                            Thanks

                                            wrote:

                                            > ken / robin
                                            > eta car download in my folder