Re: Omega directive/Omega molecule

  • Dennis Evans
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 1999
      Alen Ostanek wrote:

      > I think the PD does not apply to this directive(?), or it does.
      > whatever, the point is the Omega molecule would be a powerful energy
      > source and a weapon at the same time.

      So what if it is powerful weapon. That doesn't make it acceptable for a
      Race of beings to impose there values on another. I could understand it
      more of it were the Romulans or some other Alpha Quadrant race. Then at
      least there could be argument of the Federation acting to protect
      themselves. However, in this story the Federation was in absolutely no
      danger. Even the Voyager wouldn't have been effected so it was none of
      there business.

      Dennis
    • Ryan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 1999
        >> I think the PD does not apply to this directive(?), or it does.
        >> whatever, the point is the Omega molecule would be a powerful energy
        >> source and a weapon at the same time.
        >>

        >So what if it is powerful weapon. That doesn't make it acceptable for a
        >Race of beings to impose there values on another. I could understand it
        >more of it were the Romulans or some other Alpha Quadrant race. Then at
        >least there could be argument of the Federation acting to protect
        >themselves. However, in this story the Federation was in absolutely no
        >danger. Even the Voyager wouldn't have been effected so it was none of
        >there business.

        Umm... yes, it would have affected Voyager. If omega there had blown, it
        would've made warp travel in half that quadrant impossible
        -Ryan
        http://come.to/terranmarine
        "Ultralisks have more fun"

        >Dennis

        >We have a new web site!
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services
        >* http://welcome.to/star-trek
        >* http://welcome.to/the-crow-ring
        >* http://welcome.to/asian-movies
        >* http://welcome.to/kung-fu-superstars
        >* http://welcome.to/the-motown-webring
        >* http://welcome.to/jackie-chan-webmasters
        >* http://welcome.to/hammer-film-webring

      • Jennifer Sharpe
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 1:07 PM
          The whole idea behind this episode was that destroying the Omega particle
          superceeded everything including the Prime Directive. And they did give a
          very good reason for preventing anyone from having it. If it got out of
          control, it could destroy the Universe not just their little corner of it.
          A valid reason if you ask me.

          KAth

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 3:20 AM
            Jennifer Sharpe wrote:

            > From: Jennifer Sharpe <jsharpe@...>
            >
            > The whole idea behind this episode was that destroying the Omega particle
            > superceeded everything including the Prime Directive. And they did give a
            > very good reason for preventing anyone from having it. If it got out of
            > control, it could destroy the Universe not just their little corner of it.
            > A valid reason if you ask me.
            >
            > KAth
            >
            > At 10:29 PM 3/30/99 -0600, you wrote:
            > >From: Dennis Evans <tide323@...>
            > >
            > >Alen Ostanek wrote:
            > >
            > >> From: "Alen Ostanek" <slotrek_osti@...>
            > >>
            > >> I don't know about you guys, but this ep made me think. Are the Feds
            > >> really so scared that they would rather destroy a thing, then try to
            > >> understand it. I mean if they don't analize it then what's the point of
            > >> being a scientist?
            > >> Anyway if they shoot first, ask later - what would it happen if,I don't
            > >> know, the Dominion made a Omega molecule based weapon, and the Feds were
            > >> threaten by it?
            > >>
            > >> osti
            > >> Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
            > >
            > >I agree completely. What he heck happened to the PD. Apparently it doesn't
            > >apply to the Omega thing. In this case the Federation is willing to play
            > >god and dictate to other races how they should live. I did really hate this
            > >episode.
            > >
            > >Dennis

            Perhaps I need to watch it again because I recall the area of effect being
            relatively small. Of course we are still left with the argument of who is the
            Federation to dictate what another civilization does or doesn't do. In an early
            episode of TOS, very early actually the first time we meet the Ferengi. After
            portal, the entity which they encounter in the episode, asks Riker if the he
            wants him to destroy the Federation for him Riker says NO. When Portal asks why,
            and what warns that they are dangerous and might learn ways to destroy them,
            Riker explains that this is a possibility that they must face. This implies that
            the Federation feels that allowing other worlds develop as they will is more
            important than sticking there nose in where it doesn't belong. Now we learn that
            there are exceptions. IMHO this make them hypocrites.

            Dennis
          • HaveHam2@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 9:40 AM
              IF the omega thing was such a big deal then why is it its never mentioned by
              the Borg...or the Think Tank. No, it was just another dumb episode that was
              written by morons.
            • Scott M. Newman
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 4:15 PM
                Dennis Evans wrote:

                > From: Dennis Evans <tide323@...>
                >
                > Perhaps I need to watch it again because I recall the area of effect being
                > relatively small. Of course we are still left with the argument of who is the
                > Federation to dictate what another civilization does or doesn't do. In an early
                > episode of TOS, very early actually the first time we meet the Ferengi. After
                > portal, the entity which they encounter in the episode, asks Riker if the he
                > wants him to destroy the Federation for him Riker says NO. When Portal asks why,
                > and what warns that they are dangerous and might learn ways to destroy them,
                > Riker explains that this is a possibility that they must face. This implies that
                > the Federation feels that allowing other worlds develop as they will is more
                > important than sticking there nose in where it doesn't belong. Now we learn that
                > there are exceptions. IMHO this make them hypocrites.
                >
                > Dennis

                I actually had a whole response to this typed out, and my computer decided not to
                send it, but lock up instead. I just *love* Bill Gates.

                Anyways, I do remember and can confirm that the area affected was very large. I'm
                not sure it was half the quadrant, but it was definitely at least 1/4 of it. Which,
                as you know, it would add hundreds (or maybe thousands) of years to their journey
                home, and they might as well have found a cozy little planet to live on.

                In addition to disrupting subspace, it was extremely powerful and I think could have
                actually destroyed several planets.

                On the one hand, I can see why they wouldn't want this stuff around. I mean, based
                on the above, it would cripple nearly every *known* space faring race. True, we have
                seen examples of species who use other means of transportation, besides the warp
                drive. But I'd say 90% or so use warp. Of course, they would find a different
                method after enough research, but who knows how long that would take? Plus the
                destructive power of it as well. It would be more dangerous than sitting on planet
                sized matter/antimatter containment pods.

                On the other hand, you're right, they are clearly violating the PD. In fact, in one
                scene, on the planet's surface, Tuvok pointed out to Janeway that she was violating
                the PD. Now, this isn't a direct quote, but she responded along the lines of, "For
                the remainder of this mission, the PD is on hold." Like you said, that seems pretty
                hypocritical for a Federation that claims its most sacred law is the PD.

                Obviously, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue. I see both sides of it, and think
                each hold equal weight. I really don't know whether to praise them, or criticize
                them. Maybe this is one of those circumstances where you do both.
              • Scott M. Newman
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2 4:20 PM
                  HaveHam2@... wrote:

                  > From: HaveHam2@...
                  >
                  > IF the omega thing was such a big deal then why is it its never mentioned by
                  > the Borg...or the Think Tank. No, it was just another dumb episode that was
                  > written by morons.

                  The Borg never did mention it in any other episode, but Seven made it clear in
                  this episode that the Borg had sought it for a very long time. They saw it as
                  the ultimate form of perfection, and she considered it a sort of godlike figure.

                  I know you have a poor opinion of Voyager. However, I really do believe that
                  the quality of the stories has significantly increased since Brannon Braga came
                  on board. I think several of the episodes of this season have far outperformed
                  anything we had seen previously. I think part of the problem so many don't like
                  Voyager is because DS9 developed into something so absolutely fantastic. They
                  really made a crown jewel with DS9, and that's very hard to live up to. If
                  Voyager was airing on its own, and didn't stand side by side with DS9, I think
                  people would have a better opinion. After all, very, very few liked DS9 while
                  TNG was running, but once TNG ended, DS9 became one of the hottest items.

                  Okay, stepping off the Voyager podium now........
                • starla88@xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2 4:47 PM
                    > I think part of the problem so many don't like
                    >Voyager is because DS9 developed into something so absolutely fantastic. They
                    >really made a crown jewel with DS9, and that's very hard to live up to. If
                    >Voyager was airing on its own, and didn't stand side by side with DS9, I think
                    >people would have a better opinion. After all, very, very few liked DS9 while
                    >TNG was running, but once TNG ended, DS9 became one of the hottest items.
                    >
                    >Okay, stepping off the Voyager podium now........

                    <starla> Maybe this is the problem.....the writers and all their energy is
                    going into making the last season of DS9 the greatest.....and Voyager will
                    get back on track when they only have to concentrate on it........hoping
                    that is the case.....cause I've been disappointed in the last few Voyager

                    "The Higher The Fewer"

                    Starla