Re: [ST1-LCN] A Star Trek IV Question...

  • John Leister
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2005
      Jack Gannon wrote:

      > .um, wasn't it the Captain of the USS Yorktown who reported
      > that the chief engineer was constructing a makeshift solar
      > sail to keep the crew alive?
      >
      > The last we saw of the Saratoga was the helmsman growling
      > under his breath and the ship floating devoid of power
      > under and away from the Probe.

      That's the ship I was talking about too. I always
      wondered what became of the crew when the probe had
      finally left Earth. Were they rescued or did they perish?

      --
      John

      I heard you on the wireless back in 52
      Lying in Bed intent at tuning in on you
      If I was young it didn't stop you coming through
      Oh-a-oh

      They took the credit for your second symphony.
      Rewritten by machine and new technology,
      and now I understand the problems you can see.
      Oh-a oh

      Video killed the radio star
      Video killed the radio star
      In my mind and in my car
      We can't rewind we've gone too far
      Pictures came and broke your heart
      Put all the blame on VTRs....

      The Buggles
    • ATA
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2005
        > .um, wasn't it the Captain of the USS Yorktown who reported that the chief
        > engineer was constructing a makeshift solar sail to keep the crew alive?

        [ATA]Now that you mention it yes. You are correct. It was not the saratoga
        it was the Yorktown.

        The Saratoga was the first ship that encountered the probe
      • ATA
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2005
          > Check the film, note though that the mention of the
          > Saratoga comes up and then you see the statement about
          > the solar sails just as quickly.

          [ATA]Actually, in between the mentioning of the Saratoga and
          the statement of the solar sails, you have the Admiral(I guess)
          asking for the Yorktown and that is the comunication you have
          making the statement about the solar sails
        • captjim
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2005
            ATA wrote:

            > > Starfleet intended to retire 1701 and put her crew on
            > > the A, since Starfleet is not required to tell them
            > > (Or us) that information so we'd (1701 crew and fans)
            > > all be surprised when the crew gets it. The crew
            > > didn't know that their new ship was in the shipyards
            > > when they stole the original.
            >
            > [ATA]That is the problem. Of cpourse you are aware that the Tech
            > Manual is not canon perse, at least it is not Level 1 Canon. But even
            > then, that inisght as you called it, doesn;t seem to fit and certainly is
            > highly speculative. Apparently they are trying to explain why there
            > was a ship with the same registry id than the old one plus an A. but
            > there were none. take into account that charges were issued againts all
            > members. They were dropped after they saved Earth and the "demotion"
            > of Kirk was kind of a prize that was completed with not only giving
            > him a new command but by noring him and his crew by retaining the
            > old name and starting a new tradition of keeping an Enterprise always
            > in active duty. But all this happened after the whales incident not before.
            >
            > Now, does that means that the 1701-A wasn't named originally Saratoga?
            > or that was the sail-one. But then again, did they took that ship away
            > from her original captain to give her to Kirk? Of course it wouldn't be the first
            > time.
            >
            > > The first and only
            > > 'Enterprise' class starship was then renaimed Saratoga
            >
            > [ATA]That is another thing, there is no Enetrprise class.
            > It still the Constitution class but refitted as far as I know.
            > The fact that it is mentioned as a commentary or suggestion by
            > the author of the Tech Manual doesn't make it canon.

            Wasn't there a dedication plaque that said "Enterprise Class"
            on one ship at one point somewhere? If there were I would consider
            that canon. But I can't seem to find a reference to it. What
            I did find was a bit odd though. It seems Kirk's original Enterprise
            was called "Starship Class" instead of Constitution Class on its
            dedication plaque.
          • ATA
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2005
              > Wasn't there a dedication plaque that said "Enterprise Class"
              > on one ship at one point somewhere? If there were I would consider
              > that canon.

              [ATA]Depends, was it actually seeing in an episode?
            • Trelane
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2005
                > Wasn't there a dedication plaque that said "Enterprise Class"
                > on one ship at one point somewhere? If there were I would consider
                > that canon.

                No, there wasn't.

                Trelane

              • captjim
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2005
                  ATA wrote:

                  > > Wasn't there a dedication plaque that said "Enterprise Class"
                  > > on one ship at one point somewhere? If there were I would consider
                  > > that canon.
                  >
                  > [ATA]Depends, was it actually seeing in an episode?

                  I keep on thinking I saw it somewhere but that was probably just
                  wishful thinking.