Re: [ST1-LCN] Cogenitor - SPOILERS

  • captjim
    Message 1 of 92 , May 1, 2003
      Mithril1960@... wrote:

      > Before I begin, have I ever mentioned my fondness for Spagetti? Yep, I love
      > that stuff. I eat it quite often and make my own sauce. Occasionally I have
      > it with meatballs or chicken or veal cutlets. Italian cuisine is indeed my
      > favorite.
      >
      > Now that I've mentioned that, if you haven't seen the COGENITOR episode of
      > Enterprise, please don't read any further.
      >
      > I'll repeat - PLEASE DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.
      >
      > What seemed to be a rip off TNG's ep where Riker fell in love with the
      > asexual person turned into a fine morality play. I'm not to impressed with
      > Trips acting ability and he failed to emote (for me) in the end as he should
      > have. But this ep, with Trip impressing earthly/human mores on an alien
      > species and nearly blowing the best first Contact of Enterprises two years of
      > mission was well done. Trip was quite foolish in this one, even more than
      > usual. It was nice to see Andreas Katsulas in this ep as well. A fine actor,
      > his voice really makes his roles great. I was really surprised at the ending
      > and I think that Trips stern talking to wasn't enough. He should have been
      > busted down a rank for this or given a reduction in privileges or something.

      I disagree. I approve of Trip's actions. Human rights should be
      defended, even at the expense of a "good first contact". Especially
      in Archer's time when there is no prime directive yet. I don't
      like the fact that Archer didn't extend asylum to Charles. I believe
      that would have been the right thing to do, and if he did do it,
      there would probably not have been a suicide. The cogenitor would
      have had a chance to explore and grow and get stronger. Maybe then
      "it" could have gone back to its people and help liberate others
      from a state that could only be compared to slavery. I just don't
      get it... how can a Federation ever be formed from this group of
      people that don't value human rights enough to stand up and defend
      them? I think Star Trek is losing its moral center and "prime
      directive" thinking is being used as an excuse too often not to do
      the right thing, and that it is ok. The prime directive is only a
      guideline (or it should only be such), and any captain that I would
      want to follow would know when it is appropriate to violate that
      guideline. All the best captains have routinely violated the directive
      when it meant going along with something immoral or wrong, and that
      is one of the things I liked about all the previous captains. They
      would stand up for their principles - even sacrifice their careers
      and everything they knew if it meant doing the right thing.

      > Query: Have the Vissians ever shown up in any other Trek? Even in a mention?
      > I didn't see them in the Encyclopedia.

      I don't think we've ever met them before. They did seem a little too
      advanced in their tech, almost on a level equal with VOY. Their
      warp core even looked a little like Voyager's with that swirly blue
      light in there. But then too they did say that they didn't really
      like to go far from their home. And after this disastrous first
      contact maybe they don't want anything more to do with Earthers.
    • Mithril1960@aol.com
      Message 92 of 92 , May 6, 2003
        In a message dated 5/5/2003 9:50:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        captjim@... writes:

        > Not in the Star Trek world. Cloning is done routinely and pretty
        > easily from what I've seen. But then again, we are talking about
        > an alien race here, and while they appear to be light-years ahead
        > in their ship technology, we didn't get to see very much of their
        > medical technology. Maybe they don't have the faintest idea how to
        > clone something.

        Or perhaps there is a taboo against cloning. On Vissia it could be that a
        clone is considered not Vissian, since it's just a 'xerox' of an existing
        person.

        Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities.
        - Aristotle -