Re: [ST1-LCN] Magazine

  • DavidRB
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
      Mithril1960@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 12/31/2002 12:42:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > kates234@... writes:
      >

      > > I can't believe they're canceling the magazine! I really like it!
      > I'm
      > > afraid Star Trek is dying...and this makes me think so even more.
      > Why are
      > > they canceling?
      >
      > Probably not selling well due to the economy and the price of the
      > magazine.
      > Why is Maxim, which is the same size, same type of paper, only 3.99
      > and Trek
      > is 7.99? Can one say "MILK THE FAN BASE"?

      Maxim sells more ad space than Star Trek The Magazine. If it had more
      ads I'm sure that Star Trek The Magazine would cost less.
    • captjim
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
        Mithril1960@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/31/2002 12:42:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > kates234@... writes:
        >

        > > I can't believe they're canceling the magazine! I really like it! I'm
        > > afraid Star Trek is dying...and this makes me think so even more. Why are
        > > they canceling?
        >
        > Probably not selling well due to the economy and the price of the magazine.
        > Why is Maxim, which is the same size, same type of paper, only 3.99 and Trek
        > is 7.99? Can one say "MILK THE FAN BASE"?

        Well, if the Magazine were 3.99 I believe I would be buying it. It
        is a great deal better than the other Official Fan Magazine used to
        be. It basically was just a recap of the episodes. But it was
        reasonably priced so I used to buy it.
      • Mithril1960@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
          In a message dated 1/1/2003 3:53:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          davidrb999@... writes:

          > Maxim sells more ad space than Star Trek The Magazine. If it had more
          > ads I'm sure that Star Trek The Magazine would cost less.

          Then they should have had more ads, or made the magazine a bit smaller to
          defray costs.

          Then Fëanor rose, and lifting his hand before Manwë he cursed Melkor, naming
          him Morgoth, the Black foe of the world; and by that name only was he known
          to the Eldar ever after.
          The Silmarillion, Chapter 9 "Of the Flight of the Noldor"

        • Edward Hochman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
            I agree. The magazine concentrated on quality rather than advertising; look at the Communicator and how many ads that has. (I could say that is one big advertisement. They apparently depended on subscriptions which didn't materiealize.
            ed h
            DavidRB <davidrb999@...> wrote:Mithril1960@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/31/2002 12:42:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > kates234@... writes:
            >

            > > I can't believe they're canceling the magazine! I really like it!
            > I'm
            > > afraid Star Trek is dying...and this makes me think so even more.
            > Why are
            > > they canceling?
            >
            > Probably not selling well due to the economy and the price of the
            > magazine.
            > Why is Maxim, which is the same size, same type of paper, only 3.99
            > and Trek
            > is 7.99? Can one say "MILK THE FAN BASE"?

            Maxim sells more ad space than Star Trek The Magazine. If it had more
            ads I'm sure that Star Trek The Magazine would cost less.

            NEED TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
            HOMEPAGES, RULES, PETITIONS, POLLS, CHAT, OUR OTHER LISTS
            * <"http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one.htm">
            * <"http://www.lcarscom.net">
            STAR-TREK-ONE DVD/cd/audio-books/VHS
            * <"http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one-dvd.htm">
            TV & MOVIE T-SHIRT & MERCHANDISE WAREHOUSE
            <"http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/tv-and-movie-warehouse.htm">

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2003
              Or they could just downgrade the paper quality a bit..that's why
              comic books go for around 4 bucks these days..they are all on glossy
              paper.....Peter
              --

            • SLFTRECK@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
                peterbsullivan@... writes:

                > In star-trek-one@yahoogroups.com, Mithril1960@a... wrote:
                > >
                > > Probably not selling well due to the economy and the price of the
                > magazine.

                I just bought the latest issue($7.50), dated as the Feb. Issue. What was the
                original source for the information that the publication was ending? There
                is
                NO mention in this issue that they are stopping publication.