Re: racial slurs on st

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 1998
      where was this from?

      "En Taro Adun"
      "Come again capt'n? I'm not readin' you clearly"
      "Fire it up!"
      -Ryan
      (T_marine)

      "It seems to me that most problems solve themselves"
      -T_marine, November 1998

      finally back on-line, visit me at
      http://members.xoom.com/terranmarine/index.htm

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 1998
        Hi Julia! Hi Ruben!

        At 21:15 14/11/99 -0600, you wrote:
        >From: "Ruben Cooper" <sodapop@...>
        >didn't you go to the link?
        >http://startrek.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa111198.htm
        >
        >the mining company newsletter
        >
        >Julia Houston - startrek.guide@...

        Just went there. Very interesting. Here's the main part of it........

        The Fantasy of Racial Difference

        Dateline: 11/11/98

        There's no question whatsoever that vigilance against racism is a good
        thing. There's also no question that vigilance itself can be a problem,
        that it can lead to paranoia, to injustice, and to racism in its own right.
        If I dislike someone or thing which is African, Asian, Arabian, or
        something "other" than of my own culture, and someone accuses me of racism
        when that is not, in fact, the case, have I not myself become the victim of
        racism?

        [cut]

        It's obvious that with the potential dangers of cultural interfacing,
        political correctness is a necessary constraint which, though imperfect, is
        a lot better than running around insulting and abusing each other. But the
        price we pay for peace when everyone is just itching to take offense is
        firmly tied hands and muzzled mouths.

        But not on Star Trek.

        How very peculiar is the phenomenon that on television's most PC show,
        characters get to say without shame such things as, "Klingons are violent,"
        or "Vulcans are logical to cover up highly emotional natures," or "The
        Ferengi love profit."

        [cut]

        What I am suggesting is that perhaps Star Trek's racial divisions serve as
        a cultural metaphor which allows us to fulfill a rebellious fantasy created
        by our hyper-PC culture. In a time when we have to be so careful not to
        acknowledge even pleasant differences in our many cultures -- because
        people might think we are making racist comments in reference to genetics
        rather than environment -- what luxury it is to point not to a difference
        in skin or hair color (extremely minor genetic variations in Human DNA),
        but to creatures with symbiants in their tummies, antennae on their heads,
        back-up internal organs, and other undeniably major genetic differences,
        and say, "Hey, you guys are really different from us!"

        On this safe ground, then, different cultures can be explored without
        giving rise to offense. The distinction between behavior which explores
        racial differences and actual racism becomes very clear. For example, if
        Dr. Bashir walks up to a Bolian and asks how his blue skin reacts to UV
        radiation, this is a friendly, even concerned, question. If Bashir tells
        this Bolian his fruity blue skin makes him sick, then this is racism.

        Now, please don't write me mean letters, but let's try that in Real Life.
        If I were to go up to a Native American and ask him if his reddish-brown
        skin color helps to prevent sunburn and skin cancer, is this a racist
        remark? I personally don't think so, but I can certainly see how it might
        be taken as one.

        And I don't think the fantasy works only in terms of Human characters.
        Quark's attitude towards race purposefully crosses the line into racism,
        but he's no Archie Bunker. His concerns about Hu-mans are legitimate as
        well. One of my all-time favorite moments from DS9 is his conversation with
        Garak about root beer:

        "It's so bubbly and sweet...Like Hu-mans....But if you drink enough of it,
        you start to like it...Like Hu-mans."

        Federation ideals assimilate cultures with the efficiency of a Borg cube,
        and Quark has as much cause to worry about what will happen to his
        homeworld as do the people of a remote island when the representatives of
        Texaco appear on their shores and ask to do a "little drilling." But if you
        try to talk about the quandary faced by those islanders in Real Life, watch
        out! Racial booby-traps await you. Quark and root beer are, through the
        power of fantasy, able to demonstrate a non-PC but nevertheless quite real
        dynamic of our society without (hopefully) giving offense.

        Of all the themes of literature we've lost the ability to enjoy in the late
        20th Century, the concept of "Those People and Their Crazy Ways" is
        probably the most noticeable. We can do it a little, with fish-out-of-water
        tales about New York or Los Angeles, but these stories inevitably lead us
        to the conclusion that we're all alike under a few cultural differences.
        The recognition of the racial unity of our planet is a wonderful thing, and
        quite necessary if we're going to avoid killing each other off, but the
        price to cultural exploration and celebration of diversity, as I said, is
        so high. As a consequence, the fantasy of being able to draw racial
        distinctions without a charge of racism is unsurprisingly compelling.

        Perhaps, in the end, it is race, not space, that requires the boldest going
        of all.

        ARE we projecting our prejudices subconsciously onto violent Klingons,
        greedy Ferengi, scheming Romulans, etc?????

        No one on this planet is NOT prejudiced in some way.
        When we crawled out of the caves we were fearful of the
        cavemen from the other tribe from the caves down the block!
        This was an instinctive, inate reaction to possible danger from
        people who might steal our food or rape our women.

        We have learnt to trust other people, who are really just like us, but we
        still have fears, real or imagined.

        Although I often think this PC thing has gone TOO far I can't help
        feeling a little queasy when even Picard and Riker can joke about
        Klingon's 'jumping higher' in the holodeck scene in 'Generations'.

        "Eyes open"

        Tim

      • natalka@xxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 1998
          >From: Toffee Rapper <toffeerapper@f-u-n.u-net.com>

          Article snipped ... you've all read it, right?

          >ARE we projecting our prejudices subconsciously onto violent Klingons,
          >greedy Ferengi, scheming Romulans, etc?????

          I don't know that "WE" (Trekkies) are necessarily projecting our
          prejudices, but there certainly is an element of prejudice being projected
          AT us ... somehow these subconscious messages are getting through and --
          sadly -- the messages are striking a subconscious resonance with some
          viewers. For example -- 52% of the planet's human population is female,
          and yet in portraying the (allegedly) enlightened 24th century (where
          statisticians claim the percentage will be higher) only Voyager presents a
          crew/cast with more than two regular female characters ... and this has
          been seen as a *problem* by TPTB, never mind that only ONE has any
          significant "power". And then there's "Insurrection", described as a
          chick-flick/date movie ... and Paramount's reaction -- Oh No! Quick! Get
          some more action to pull the crowds. Helloooo? Is my dollar less important
          because I'm female?

          Whew -- that was some rickety soap box, time to get back on track. Yes, I
          do think that Trek slips a bit by presenting an essentially racist "Earth"
          future which, sadly, mirrors the views of many of its "customers". Do we
          really want only one culture, one language? I don't, and I think that Trek
          will only achieve its own "perfection" when it starts to portray and
          *celebrate* the differences between the peoples of the world instead of
          trying to get rid of humanity's beautiful complexity. Not such a happy
          future if your culture is "different", eh?

          :-)
          Natalie
          (pasteurised maybe, but never homogenised)

          >No one on this planet is NOT prejudiced in some way.
          >When we crawled out of the caves we were fearful of the
          >cavemen from the other tribe from the caves down the block!
          >This was an instinctive, inate reaction to possible danger from
          >people who might steal our food or rape our women.
          >
          >We have learnt to trust other people, who are really just like us, but we
          >still have fears, real or imagined.
          >
          >Although I often think this PC thing has gone TOO far I can't help
          >feeling a little queasy when even Picard and Riker can joke about
          >Klingon's 'jumping higher' in the holodeck scene in 'Generations'.
          >

          >"Eyes open"
          >
          >Tim

          >http://welcome.to/star-trek
        • Ruben Cooper
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 1998
            well for one thing the guy that plays Nog has had a kidney transplant for,,
            I forgot, over 15 years and I am in my 4th. So that is one for the
            transplant group!! :P, now he will have a fake leg as well :P
            Subject: [star-trek-one] Re: racial slurs on st

            >From: Toffee Rapper <toffeerapper@f-u-n.u-net.com>
            >

            >Hi Julia! Hi Ruben!
          • Ruben Cooper