RE: [ST1] Re: ST books

  • Jayne Mumford
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2000
      I've always liked Diane Carey's books

      I especially liked Best Destiny and First Frontier. However, I found that
      they did get a bit gory and graphic in places. You certainly don't want to
      be eating anything with tomato ketchup when you get to these bits.

      I also love Diane Duane especially Spock's World. She did a fascinating job
      weaving a history of the Vulcans and that was carried on to the history of
      the Romulans in Romulan Way.

      I am agreed on the Marshak/Culbreath books, they are terrible.
      Jayne

      A Dalmatian Is For Life....Not Just For Disney!
    • kb3cgp@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2000
        The plot tends to drag some, and then everything happens at once, leaving
        you like, Hey! What happened?!? I've definitely been spoiled by better
        authors, but she's not bad. If only she put a sense of humor in.
        Techie

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2000
          Gail wrote:
          > > <regarding reading TNG first and then viewing> Though I must say when I finally saw it, it
          > > was a strange thrill to see the characters I've read about.
          > So were they as you expected them to be?
          Actually yes, I was impressed. Of course I knew what they looked like
          from the book covers but I found the actors (most at least) doing very
          well, especially as season two progressed (in general season one didn't
          make me put the books aside).
          Part of this may be because the book where written with the tv in mind,
          so it was not actors trying to be like the book-characters but the other
          way round.
          Because of my book introduction into ST I've always had the feeling the
          books are canon, so to speak. Being a book-junkie helped.

          > > It is, especially because the books cost 40% more than in the US.
          > I'm with you there. I live in Canada and the price of paperbacks is ridiculous, courtesy of
          > the US$.
          For every dollar on the cover I pay $1.50 [and then you get the exchange
          rate :-( ].

          > > > Do you read TOS books? Many of the early ones are excellent.
          > > Not yet, but I certainly will.
          > Well, if you ever want suggestions I'd be happy to foist my personal tastes on you. Have you
          > visited http://www.psiphi.org ? They have a good book section.
          Suggestions are always very welcome. As I won't be able to read it all I
          try to find the best books to read. Psiphi is my main info-source.

          > > Actually I am hoping for some insight in the Cardassians.
          > Ooh, you're in for a treat then. The book is a gold mine of insight into the Cardie culture,
          > including bits on the spirituality. Totally non-canon, of course.
          I'll consider it cannon ;-) [on the other hand, it's Elim talking here,
          who isn't known for telling the truth....]

          > Indeed. It is a fairly good summary of the ep. You're a season behind, right?
          The BBC indeed was, but it's two seasons now, because at the end of six
          the decided to start with three. Now I guess they'll show seven this
          fall, at the start of the new tv-season.

          Erwin
          - in libris spiritus trekkus -
          - fijagh; and that goes for Star Trek too -
        • Gail
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2000
            Erwin Blonk wrote:

            > Suggestions are always very welcome. As I won't be able to read it all I
            > try to find the best books to read. Psiphi is my main info-source.

            Seeing as you like character books, I would recommend the following:

            The Wounded Sky (Diane Duane)
            The Vulcan Academy Murders (Jean Lorrah)
            The IDIC Epidemic (sort of sequel) (Jean Lorrah)
            Ishmael (Barbara Hambly)
            Yesterday's Son (AC Crispin)
            Time for Yesterday (sequel) (AC Crispin)
            Uhura's Song (Janet Kagan)
            Tears of the Singers (Melinda Snodgrass)
            Dwellers in the Crucible (Margaret Wander Bonanno)

            2-6 are Spock oriented since he's my favourite TOS character. They're in approximately rank
            order. Although I would probably move Dwellers up. It's really well written, but doesn't focus on
            the original crew.

            > I'll consider it cannon ;-) [on the other hand, it's Elim talking here,
            > who isn't known for telling the truth....]

            Yeah, assessing the truthfulness of his stories is both entertaining and frustrating.

            --
            ttyl,

            Gail

            One realm we have never conquered - the pure present.
            One great mystery of time is terra incognita to
            us - the instant. The most superb mystery we have
            hardly recognized - the immediate, instant self. The
            quick of all time is the instant.
            -D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930)
          • Ruben Cooper
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 5, 2000
              haven't read but a couple Shatner st books, but I do like the way Diane
              Duane writes SpiderMan and BTVS.

              rc

              Erwin Blonk wrote:

              > Suggestions are always very welcome. As I won't be able to read it all I
              > try to find the best books to read. Psiphi is my main info-source.

              Seeing as you like character books, I would recommend the following:

              The Wounded Sky (Diane Duane)
              The Vulcan Academy Murders (Jean Lorrah)
              The IDIC Epidemic (sort of sequel) (Jean Lorrah)
              Ishmael (Barbara Hambly)
              Yesterday's Son (AC Crispin)
              Time for Yesterday (sequel) (AC Crispin)
              Uhura's Song (Janet Kagan)
              Tears of the Singers (Melinda Snodgrass)
              Dwellers in the Crucible (Margaret Wander Bonanno)
            • Chris H
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2000
                Hi all - just joined the list today.

                Marshak & Culbreath's novels made a bit of a storm when they first
                appeared. Me - as a die-hard Trek fan in the UK who was coming to
                terms with his gay sexuality at the time - loved them, up to a point.
                And any new novel was a good thing!

                David Gerrold however gave me the last word on the subject at UFP Con
                way back in '88 or 89:

                'Marshak and Culbreath? Couple of dangerous fag-hags!'

                Hey ho!
              • C.Dierna Dex Lincoln
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 8, 2000
                  ooh!!! I love the Yesterday Saga books!!...In order to understand them tho u had to have seen the TOS ep "All Our Yesterdays" cuz they're the continuation of what happened in that ep!....Zar is soo cute!!...Spock truly loved his son...I love how AC Crispin made Spock more human!...They are total classics!....But as for character books...u should also read..

                  "A Stitch In Time"(Life story of Garak written by Andrew J. Robinson himself!)
                  "Star Trek: Federation"(basically the life story of Zephram Cochrane)
                  "The Lives of Dax"(the title says it all!..strange...I didn't know about the Battle of Las Vegas till I read that book *L*)
                  Any of the Spock books are good...particularly
                  "Mind Meld"
                  "Sarek"(also written by AC Crispin),
                  "Spock's World(the history of the planet Vulcan!)
                  "Vulcan's Forge"(actually mentioned in an ep of DS9 as a place Jadzia suggested she and Worf would go on their honeymoon!*Sniff*)
                  "Vulcan's Heart"
                  "Strangers From The Sky"

                  I have all those books *L*....Im a Spock Fanatic...I have almost all the spock books!...

                  Dierna Dex S.P Lincoln(Ok..we know that Zar looks like Spock but does T'Val look like Saavik??)
                  --------------
                  >Yesterday's Son (AC Crispin)
                  >Time for Yesterday (sequel) (AC Crispin)

                  Does your studio employer monitor your e-mail?
                  Then use Ain't It Cool Mail, and kick evil's ass!
                  Oh, and come visit us at http://www.aintitcool.com/.
                • Gail
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 13, 2000
                    "C.Dierna Dex Lincoln" wrote:

                    > "The Lives of Dax"(the title says it all!..strange...I didn't know about the Battle of Las Vegas till I read that book *L*)

                    Just finished reading this one. Very good collection. I was a bit nervous over the price (it's a trade), but it was worth it. A very well-written book overall. I've read some quibbles over the Curzon story, but I didn't find the fact that Sisko was telling the story to be overly bothersome. The older host stuff was stronger, particularly Joran, Aurdrid,
                    and Emony. I've always found Ezri annoying and tedious, but I found I liked her more after reading the story. She didn't come across as such a stuttering whiner.
                    --

                  • AnnikaSulu@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 13, 2000
                      I've always found Ezri annoying and tedious, but I found I liked her more
                      after reading the story. She didn't come across as such a stuttering whiner.

                      Yeah, but you have to admit, the kid had issues enough to turn anyone into a
                      stuttering whiner*grin*. I can't wait to but The Lives Of Dax...Jadzia and
                      Ezri are my favorite characters.
                    • Jack Gannon - BG
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 14, 2000
                        I found The Lives of Dax to be a very relaxing set of stories, and did pick
                        up on story lines mentioned in various episodes of DS9 over the years, so it
                        makes for the question :"Is this book canon?", since some of it expands on
                        dialogue from the shows?

                        Jack

                        > "The Lives of Dax"(the title says it all!..strange...I didn't know about
                        the Battle of Las Vegas till I read that book *L*)

                        Just finished reading this one. Very good collection. I was a bit nervous
                        over the price (it's a trade), but it was worth it. A very well-written
                        book overall. I've read some quibbles over the Curzon story, but I didn't
                        find the fact that Sisko was telling the story to be overly bothersome. The
                        older host stuff was stronger, particularly Joran, Aurdrid,
                        and Emony. I've always found Ezri annoying and tedious, but I found I liked
                        her more after reading the story. She didn't come across as such a
                        stuttering whiner.
                        --
                        ttyl,

                        Gail

                        One realm we have never conquered - the pure present.
                        One great mystery of time is terra incognita to
                        us - the instant. The most superb mystery we have
                        hardly recognized - the immediate, instant self. The
                        quick of all time is the instant.
                        -D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930)

                        _____

                        <http://click.egroups.com/1/4322/5/_/488754/_/963533261/>

                        <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/4322/5/_/488754/_/963533261/pr_drill_468_12k.g
                        if>

                        _____

                        NEED TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
                        THIS LIST AND WEBRING HAS A HOMEPAGE (AND RULES)
                        * http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one.htm
                        <http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one.htm>
                        VOTE IN OUR POLL
                        * http://www.onelist.com/polls/star-trek-one
                        <http://www.onelist.com/polls/star-trek-one>
                        CHAT IN OUR CHATROOM (Sundays 9pm BST/10pm GMT)
                        * http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one.htm
                        <http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/star-trek-one.htm>
                        CHECK SOME OF OUR OTHER LISTS
                        * http://www.f-u-n.u-net.com/lists <http://www.f-u-n.u-net.com/lists>
                        S T A R - T R E K - O N E - M E R C H A N D I S E
                        http://www.emerchandise.com/browse/STARTREK-FAM/A5264

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 14, 2000
                          Jack Gannon - BG wrote:

                          > I found The Lives of Dax to be a very relaxing set of stories,

                          Nice description. ;-) I would agree with that.

                          > and did pick up on story lines mentioned in various episodes of DS9 over the
                          > years, so it
                          > makes for the question :"Is this book canon?", since some of it expands on
                          > dialogue from the shows?

                          Depends on who's defining canon. I would say no. I tend to view the books as
                          not being canon because I don't think the TV/movie writers take the books into
                          consideration at all. There's also the problem of whose books to take as
                          canon. Sometimes the books contradict each other. So is it whoever says Spock
                          has a scar on his right knee from soccer as a child first gets it into canon?
                          Even if writer B thinks the scar on his knee comes from when he ran out into the
                          desert to avoid some boys who were taunting him and rolled down a cliff?

                          I look at the series/movies as jumping off points for the books. The framework
                          is set, but what's inside is malleable. I think it's nice that the books aren't
                          "the word of God" because it gives the writers more latitude. I like the idea
                          of the writers being able to do things outside of the series/movies because it
                          makes the books much more interesting. Also, I'm free to choose to believe it
                          or to ignore it. Very handy if you happen to disagree with the author.