Re: Technobabble

  • Martin Wallner
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 1999
      On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 05:42:28AM -0700, Mark Schieber wrote:
      > From: Mark Schieber <warpspeed13@...>
      >
      > >Matter transmitters, Klingons, holodecks are extremely
      > >extremely improbable. But that doesn't mean they might not someday
      > >be possible. Doubtful on most, but they're not impossible.
      >
      > What about Universal Translators? These seem to work unfailingly with
      > little input..and no one quote the episode of VOYAGER where the big
      > lobster stuck to Toress' face (not that I wouldn't like to stick to her
      > face...). And does anyone find it odd that the UTs never fail (and no
      > one quote LITTLE GREEN MEN), the artificial gravity never fails (and no

      Well, I beg to differ (and I'm not quoting Little Green Man), the UT failed on several occasions in DS9 (the one with the race comin' trhough the wormhole, fleeing the dominion; there the UT needed time to adjust to the language pattern, and when it started to work, in the beginning only a few words started to be understandable)and Voyager (Think Tank), there only one species in the Think Tank has a for the UT understandable speech pattern, only the special Translator of the ThinkTank's ship was able to communicate with them...

      > one quote THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY), but the warp core goes off-line if
      > you just look at it funny, always accompanied by huge arcs of electricity
      > zapping from the consoles?
      > How about THE BIG ONE: inertial dampers? How do they work? And how come
      > a culture that can master this technology has yet to grasp the concept of
      > the seat belt?

      Well, as I see ist, the Artificial Gravity/Inertial Dampers are a very stable construction (including reserves), which gives usually triple redundancy...In the case of the inertial dampers, well, if they ever fail, the series would come to a sudden end..... :-) And some part of this system, the Structual Field DOES fail....

      --
      mfg
      Martin Wallner (=mw=)

      -----
      ViP EDV-Dienstleistungs GesmbH e-mail 'hostmaster@...'
      Dom�nen- u. Userwartung ViP RIPE: WM355-RIPE
      Stephensong. 1/4 InterNIC: WM327-ORG
      1210 Wien Tel. +43 1 257 3317 Fax: Dw. 99
    • Mark Schieber
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
        >Matter transmitters, Klingons, holodecks are extremely
        >extremely improbable. But that doesn't mean they might not someday
        >be possible. Doubtful on most, but they're not impossible.

        What about Universal Translators? These seem to work unfailingly with
        little input..and no one quote the episode of VOYAGER where the big
        lobster stuck to Toress' face (not that I wouldn't like to stick to her
        face...). And does anyone find it odd that the UTs never fail (and no
        one quote LITTLE GREEN MEN), the artificial gravity never fails (and no
        one quote THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY), but the warp core goes off-line if
        you just look at it funny, always accompanied by huge arcs of electricity
        zapping from the consoles?
        How about THE BIG ONE: inertial dampers? How do they work? And how come
        a culture that can master this technology has yet to grasp the concept of
        the seat belt?

        I really enjoyed the Giselle's take on DS9 and she summed up my own
        thoughts on the series pretty well. Thanks.

        I'm also enjoying the ongoing discussion of Pokemon. I think its
        interesting and appropriate.

        NOT!

        Just a thought here: My email will only accept messages that are so long
        (it doesn't like 60K or longer) and almost didn't send the last digest.
        Maybe we can all stop quoting back these huge passages of
        text--especially the ending parts which can get really ridiculous! I've
        seen up to three of them all together and have to hunt for the original
        material! Just a thought not a criticism....

        Peace, and long life,
        Mark Schieber
        "I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
        Captain Kirk to Khan Noonian Singh, "The Wrath of Khan"

      • Gis=e8le_La_Roche_
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 1999
          On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 05:42:28 -0700
          Mark Schieber <warpspeed13@...> wrote:

          .<snipped for brevity>

          > I really enjoyed the Giselle's take on DS9 and she summed up my own
          > thoughts on the series pretty well. Thanks.

          Thanks Mark! Glad you liked it!

          Gis�le
        • Dragonmount52@cs.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2001
            I know that a lot of the time when a screenwriter on Trek is faced with a
            science problem or a technical problem on the ship, they will put in the term
            "technobabble here." Then during the shoot the actual terms are inserted.
            Here is another definition for technobabble. I got it from the Dummies Daily
            "Nerd Word of the Day." Thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing it.
            Suzy
            The old lady in Florida

            Today's Term: Technobabble
            Technical jargon, especially when it is used excessively or vaguely for
            marketing purposes ("the new application supports enterprisewide object
            integration"), or used metaphorically in non-computer contexts ("the
            President is getting input from his advisors").
            For more computer terms, see <A HREF="http://catalog.hungryminds.com/product.asp?isbn=0028637771">Webster's New World Dictionary of Computer Terms
            </A>, by Bryan Pfaffenberger, published by Hungry Minds, Inc.