Re: [ST1-LCN] The Ferengi

  • Andrew Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

      > Ok I watched TNG the last outpost tonight and I'm so glad that the Ferengi
      > don't act like that in later episodes. They were like rabid
      > monkey's jumping around. Good episode, I wished that at the end of the
      > show, it had showed the ferengi with the chinese handcuffs. I spit tea all
      > over the place when Data got his fingers stuck and then when Riker suggested
      > they send some over to the ferengi.
      > Beth

      I found it really amusing that it was Picard (I think) that freed Data from
      the finger toy.Picard and Data were really the only good characters that
      early on. They seemed to find their stride right away, where as the other
      characters took some time to find their feet.

      > That's kind of like in TOS sending the Klingons some tribbles;) I like that
      > episode. Ferengis are a little silly, but Riker was cool in the scene with
      > the portal.
      > KAJ

      I kinda thought Riker was more superior and arrogant. Or maybe those're not
      the right words... smug, perhaps. Early Riker was very smug. This was one of
      the bad first eps, mainly down to the depiction of hte Ferengi. 'Oh, WE were
      going to say that answer! REALLY we were! He STOLE it from us!"

      Gimmie a break.

      Andy
      --
      http://www.starbase23.net

      "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
      bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
      Churchill

      The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
      Mickey: "Wot's that?"
      The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
      - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

    • mccall3815
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        > I found it really amusing that it was Picard (I think) that freed
        Data from
        > the finger toy.Picard and Data were really the only good characters
        that
        > early on. They seemed to find their stride right away, where as the
        other
        > characters took some time to find their feet.

        --- I have to disagree, the rest of the characters were good too. I
        don't think that it took anytime to find their feet. Westerly maybe
        but not the rest of the cast.

        > I kinda thought Riker was more superior and arrogant. Or maybe
        those're not
        > the right words... smug, perhaps. Early Riker was very smug. This
        was one of
        > the bad first eps, mainly down to the depiction of hte
        Ferengi. 'Oh, WE were
        > going to say that answer! REALLY we were! He STOLE it from us!"
        >
        > Gimmie a break.

        ---- The depiction of the Ferengi's isn't exactly wrong. I was more
        or less annoyed by the jumping around. The whole he stole it from us
        sounds very much Ferengi. They lie, cheat and steal, doesn't suprise
        me much on that. I just hated them acting like barbaric monkeys.
        I thought it was a very good episode.

        Beth
      • Robert Easom
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          I personally was glad that they stopped using the Ferengi as he next main villian and made them more into the comic relief. As they were more obnoxious than bad. And didnt have the sly cunning that the Romulans had or even the power that Klingons had.

          I personally hated Riker until he got his beard it was only then that he became a good character in my book.

          One of the best Ferengi episode I think for me in TNG is Maxia when they brainwash Picard and make him try and use the Picard Manuveur on the Enterprise.

          One thing I thought was good was ditching that stupid whip weapon they had. It was to clumsy to be as good a disrupter or phaser.

          > I found it really amusing that it was Picard (I think) that freed
          Data from
          > the finger toy.Picard and Data were really the only good characters
          that
          > early on. They seemed to find their stride right away, where as the
          other
          > characters took some time to find their feet.

          --- I have to disagree, the rest of the characters were good too. I
          don't think that it took anytime to find their feet. Westerly maybe
          but not the rest of the cast.

          > I kinda thought Riker was more superior and arrogant. Or maybe
          those're not
          > the right words... smug, perhaps. Early Riker was very smug. This
          was one of
          > the bad first eps, mainly down to the depiction of hte
          Ferengi. 'Oh, WE were
          > going to say that answer! REALLY we were! He STOLE it from us!"
          >
          > Gimmie a break.

          ---- The depiction of the Ferengi's isn't exactly wrong. I was more
          or less annoyed by the jumping around. The whole he stole it from us
          sounds very much Ferengi. They lie, cheat and steal, doesn't suprise
          me much on that. I just hated them acting like barbaric monkeys.
          I thought it was a very good episode.

          Beth

        • Brent
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            I 100% agree, both regarding Riker's character being more likable after the beard, and about those silly Ferengi whips.  However my favorite TNG Ferengi episode is "The Price".

            -Brent

            --- On Wed, 10/1/08, Robert Easom <rob_easom@...> wrote:

            I personally was glad that they stopped using the Ferengi as he next main villian and made them more into the comic relief. As they were more obnoxious than bad. And didnt have the sly cunning that the Romulans had or even the power that Klingons had.

            I personally hated Riker until he got his beard it was only then that he became a good character in my book.

            One of the best Ferengi episode I think for me in TNG is Maxia when they brainwash Picard and make him try and use the Picard Manuveur on the Enterprise.

            One thing I thought was good was ditching that stupid whip weapon they had. It was to clumsy to be as good a disrupter or phaser.

            Recent Activity

             9
            New MembersVisit Your Group

            Y! Entertainment
            World of Star Wars
            Rediscover the force.
            Explore now.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Join people over 40
            who are finding ways
            to stay in shape.

            Moderator Central
            Get answers to
            your questions about
            running Y! Groups.
            ..

          • Andrew Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

              > --- I have to disagree, the rest of the characters were good too. I don't
              > think that it took anytime to find their feet. Westerly maybe but not the
              > rest of the cast.

              Then we disagree. :)

              > ---- The depiction of the Ferengi's isn't exactly wrong. I was more or less
              > annoyed by the jumping around. The whole he stole it from us sounds very
              > much Ferengi. They lie, cheat and steal, doesn't suprise me much on that. I
              > just hated them acting like barbaric monkeys. I thought it was a very good
              > episode.
              >
              > Beth

              Since this was the first ever depiction of the Ferengi, it couldn't be
              "wrong". I just think having them hop about like deranged monkeys and
              whining was a bad depiction. At this stage they were meant to be the new
              Klingons but the staff quickly enough (AFTER this ep) realised they just
              looked ridiculous and changed their direction and plan for the Ferengi.
              Bouncing around and whining and snivelling like that did not make them a
              credible threat, and to a fair degree, didn't even make them a credible
              society.
              The ep itself wasn't that great, IMHO. It wasn't as horrifically
              cringeworthy as *'TNG:Haven'*, for example. It wasn't a bad ep, it just
              wasn't great either.

              > One of the best Ferengi episode I think for me in TNG is Maxia when they
              > brainwash Picard and make him try and use the Picard Manuveur on the
              > Enterprise.

              You're referring to the ep *'TNG:The Battle'*, and I completely agree with
              you that it was a great episode, Robert. It was, IMHO, the first TNG ep that
              truly stood on its own two feet and didn't try to homage or rip off TOS in
              any way. It had a good, tight story line and good drama and suspense.

              > One thing I thought was good was ditching that stupid whip weapon they had.
              > It was to clumsy to be as good a disrupter or phaser.

              So many people say that, but I like the neuronic whips. Not everyone's
              weapons are designed the same or with the same mindset. Taking a Stargate
              example, the staff weapons the Jaffa use are indeed powerful, but the P90s
              that SG-1 use are more effective. The staff weapon is designed to overawe
              and frighten, to terrorise the Go'auld's primitive enemies into submission
              with displays of power. You can't fight very well with it and it's tough to
              aim precisely. The Ferengi whips to me are another example of this
              philosphy. It's designed to be impressive, different, and not used as an
              actual weapon of war. I see it as a police weapon like rubber bullets, not
              an army weapon. You certainly couldn't use it in a full on battlefield like
              in *'DS9:The Siege of AR-554'*.
              Along a similar line, the TNG Romulan Warbirds: Massive ships designed to
              overawe their opponents and be seen as fearsome and requiring advanced
              knowledge to build, but they weren't any better armed than the Starfleet
              ships half its size.

              Just my pound's worth. :)

              Andy

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                One thing I would love to see in Star Trek would be in a fight with a romulan warbird a torpedo or phaser blast go right through the middle where there is that big gap. I don't remember ever seeing that in any Episode of ST.

                I know this is off topic but I also liked the staff weapon because if you were to close to fire you could use it as a effective staff which is why Teal'c preferred it rather than the rifles sg1 started with before the got the Zat's.

                I think like the ferengi saying everythig has a price to the highest bidder.which makes them different to say the federation who don't use money and they have one of the most original ships seen in TNG.

                My favourite enemy has to be the borg nothing is a ruthless or unstoppable in TNG as the borg were. In Voyager they seemed to be more weaker.

              • Yehuda N. Falk
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Robert Eason wrote:
                  > I personally hated Riker until he got his beard it was only then that he became a good character in my book.

                  This is because a beard improves a man's character!
                  --
                  Yehuda N. Falk
                  Associate Professor, Generative Linguistics, Department of Linguistics